Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 Remote access to configure for high speed fibre

reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

D6400 Remote access to configure for high speed fibre

Hello

have installed genie app on my iPad , with the intention to remote connect to my friends router to help optimise it.....can this be done ? Or must I be within Wi-fi range of my friends router ?

are there specific settings for the d600 to work with fast fibre ? Many thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

Re: D6400 Remote access to configure for high speed fibre

Had hoped that someone with knowledge of this router could help me, but alas I was wrong.

this post can be closed now

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

have installed genie app on my iPad , with the intention to remote connect to my friends router to help optimise it.....can this be done ? Or must I be within Wi-fi range of my friends router ?

Permitting the D6400 does support remote App access - somebody with local [W]LAN access must - using the Genie - enable the App remote administration, and register it to (yor friends) [My]Netgear Account. If he does trust in you, there is no other way than sharing the credentials for the Netgear Account, logout in the Genie App in case you are logged in to your own account, the login to your friends Netgear Account - in the Remote you have his router 

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

are there specific settings for the d600 to work with fast fibre ?

No experience with this model I'm afraid.

Message 2 of 16
reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

Sorry but that reply wasn’t any help whatsoever..

Message 3 of 16
schumaku
Guru

So please read it again, and tell me what you haven't understood.

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

have installed genie app on my iPad , with the intention to remote connect to my friends router to help optimise it.....can this be done?

Yes.

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

Or must I be within Wi-fi range of my friends router ?

No. You just can't "just" install the App and connect to any router if the router was not configured for the App remote administration while connected on the [W]LAN. Beyond, the routers App Remote Administration can only be enabled for one [My]Netgear Account. Nothing I have not talked about before.

Message 4 of 16
reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

The description of the app says allows remote access, my understanding was it had the same facilities as team viewer, but netgear means, within the Wi-fi range of the router.....there’s remote and there’s remote.....

think all all I need to know is would I benefit from changing the settings to improve performance with fast fibre ?

Message 5 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Wrong conclusion. TeamViewer allows the rote control of a computer sharing screen and input devices.

The Genie App does indeed allow remote administration. The similarity to TeamViewer is that you have to enable it. Very different, once enabled the router is linked to a Netgear Account - and not tied to some session number and key. Using this Netgear Account you can access it from remote. This pairing and trust is done for security reasons.
Message 6 of 16

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

The description of the app says allows remote access, my understanding was it had the same facilities as team viewer, but netgear means, within the Wi-fi range of the router.....there’s remote and there’s remote.....

Remote access is designed to let you access a device remotely. Nothing like team viewer.

To use remote access you need to attach the device to an account at MyNetgear:

MyNETGEAR | Login

When it is there you can enable remote access on the D6400.

If you use remote login on an app, you use the same credentials as those set up for MyNetgear. Get in and you can see the

There is support for the device, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Manage the Modem Router Remotely.

Good luck in trying to get a D6400 to work with high speed fibre. This is a DSL modem/router. Unless your friend has some freaky sort of fibre, a term that can mean anything, the D6400 won't be much use.

You could use it as a router, but that would involved putting it behind a modem or whatever delivers the fibre Internet. Not sure how remote access would work in those circumstances.

Message 7 of 16
reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

Hi

will not bother with the remote access, just need to get the settings optimised for the best speed. It is working fine correctly with high speed fibre ( over the phone line ) but as the settings are the default ones I had hoped someone could help me tweak the settings to improve the performance.

Message 8 of 16

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

It is working fine correctly with high speed fibre ( over the phone line ) ...

That will be DSL using something like "fibre to the cabinet", the predominant internet technology in the UK, for example. A lot of NBN in Australia is also DSL.

Amusingly, perhaps, despite the sales pitch from the Internet service providers, so called "high-speed fibre", or even "superfast fibre", is quite the opposite. High-speed copper but low-speed fibre. Everything slows down when it hits the copper.

Every internet service is "fibre", even ADSL. The backbone is fibre. But no none who wants to be understood uses the term fibre to describe DSL.

There isn't much you can do to tweak a DSL modem to get faster internet. You can change things to optimise the local network, but flailing around and "tweaking knobs" for the hell of it isn't going to change much.

A bit of diagnosis before diving in might reveal weak spots that could use attention.

Message 9 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

It is working fine correctly with high speed fibre ( over the phone line ) 

So don't worry. Whatever that is - fiber in a copper line? Even of it's two wire on the last meters, classic xDSL can't be fast. G.fast could be fast - but Netgear doesn't make any CPE. 

Message 10 of 16
reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

Not sure the default security, if it’s WPA then the throughput is limited to 45mbps

guess I will have to have a look myself and do more research

Message 11 of 16

Nothing to do with the ISP and the settings in the "modem" bit.

More a case of the wifi in the router zone.

And that, in turn, is down to the wif clients and what they need.

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

guess I will have to have a look myself and do more research

Good move.

Message 12 of 16
reddwarf4ever
Aspirant

Had hoped that someone with knowledge of this router could help me, but alas I was wrong.

this post can be closed now

Message 13 of 16

Some might say, "ask a silly question get a silly answer," but I couldn't possibly comment.

Message 14 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@reddwarf4ever wrote:

Not sure the default security, if it’s WPA then the throughput is limited to 45mbps

That would be about wireless, not the subject High Speed "Fibre" Internet link.

WPA ... to be exact WPA2-AES is the de-facto standard since about September 2004, main stream since early 2006.. Unlikley creating a massive performance impact - your are some some decades to late were WEP indeed made some differences.

The D6400 is the xDSL sibling of the R6400(v1) - routers which can reach some 700+ Mbit up/downlink NAT routing/firewall handling, and the wireless side does perform like any other common AC1750 class model - with a decent client, under low interference conditions, you must be alble to get much more.

Message 15 of 16

@schumaku wrote:

The D6400 is the xDSL sibling of the R6400(v1) - routers which can reach some 700+ Mbit up/downlink NAT routing/firewall handling, and the wireless side does perform like any other common AC1750 class model - with a decent client, under low interference conditions, you must be alble to get much more.

Indeed. I've had a D6400 since the beta tests. (Now pensioned off because I prefer separate modems and routers, and the D6400 is too slow to boot in modem only mode.)

The D6400 is a capable, but not spectacular, DSL modem/router.

As the manual says for the D6400, WPA2-AES "is the default setting". So, it takes some frigging around to put it into WES mode.

There is support for the D6400, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

With BT's DSL at least, the D6400 recognises the network and configures itself with  minimal input from the user. Even an inexperienced user can set it up. Indeed, allowing someone who thinks they know better near it is probably a bad idea. Best left alone.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7