Highlighted
Aspirant

Genie App on computer and iPhone Can’t login to router

I’ve had my router for a couple of years now, and decided to try out the Genie app on my iPhone and Mac. It says to login with admin login, which I enter and it fails. I am able to connect to the modem/router via its IP through a web browser and login with the admin credentials. However, these credentials don’t seem to work with the app at all.

I know the app is no longer being updated in favor of the Nighthawk app, but that app doesn’t support my device. So I feel like I’m stuck with only being able to use a web browser. Would have been nice to use the app.
Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted

Re: Genie App on computer and iPhone Can’t login to router

@TNelson832 wrote:
I’ve had my router for a couple of years now, and decided to try out the Genie app on my iPhone and Mac. It says to login with admin login, which I enter and it fails.

Fails in what way? These things usually throw an error message of some sort.

I see no sign that the genie supports the C6900, but that guarantees nothing given the state of Netgear's documentation.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

The message says, login failed. Please enter the correct user name and password for your NETGEAR router. As far as I know, I am entering my admin user name and password. It should be the same login that is used for the web admin, right?

What bothers me is that the documentation that came with the router talks about the Netgear Genie App, which would make one think that the app will work with my router, yet there is no support for it.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

@TNelson832 wrote:
As far as I know, I am entering my admin user name and password. It should be the same login that is used for the web admin, right?

There are various ways into the router's controls. As well as the browser there is the mobile login, but there is also ANYWHERE ACCESS, also known as Remote Access on older apps..

Before you can use mobile login you first have to connect to the local wifi.

To use ANYWHERE ACCESS and Remote Access, which uses "cloud access", you have to set up access through MyNetgear.

These things are sent to make life complicated for us.

@TNelson832 wrote:
The message says, login failed. Please enter the correct user name and password for your NETGEAR router.

Is that the exact message that you see?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements