Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie acting like a virus

dja014
Aspirant

Genie acting like a virus

I was wondering if anyone else has reported this behavior.

Today my machine was acting sluggish.

I killed all programs that I know that I started during the session.

It was still a little sluggish, so I started the performance monitor and saw a steady 30% CPU usage with peaks at 40%.

Instead of trying to track down the culprit, I just rebooted.

When the system came back, I ran performance monitor again, and now there was steady 40% CPU usage with peaks well over 50%.

Now I was peeved, so I ran task manager to see who it was.

Guess who: Genie.

I ran Genie to diagnose a problem a few days ago.

But the system was rebooted at least three times since.

Is there something you can do in Genie that causes it to restart on reboot and start running something really intensive on restart?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

You did not say what your system was, but from the context, and reference to Task Manager, I assumed that it is a Windows PC.

If so, the genie icon can get lost, especially if you tell Windows to hide things in the notification area.

NotificationArea.jpg

Another way to find it is to go into Task Manager, click the Start-Up tab and disable NETGEAR Genie there.

The CPU thing is odd. I have seen other reports of this. Never did get to the bottom of it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies

Tried disabling autostart?

Look in the "notification area". "Right click" > "Settings".

Message 2 of 7
dja014
Aspirant

Thanks for replying.

But I don't see anything like a "notifications" area or any option like that on any screens on my version of Genie.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 7

You did not say what your system was, but from the context, and reference to Task Manager, I assumed that it is a Windows PC.

If so, the genie icon can get lost, especially if you tell Windows to hide things in the notification area.

NotificationArea.jpg

Another way to find it is to go into Task Manager, click the Start-Up tab and disable NETGEAR Genie there.

The CPU thing is odd. I have seen other reports of this. Never did get to the bottom of it.

Message 4 of 7
dja014
Aspirant

Thank you MIchael.

I thought you were talking about a notification are in genie.

No matter what I did, the genie icon never showed up there.

But I was able to disable it in the task manager startup tab.

Still curios about how it was utilizing so much CPU, but the problem has been resolved.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7

@dja014 wrote:

Still curios about how it was utilizing so much CPU, but the problem has been resolved.

It happened to me once, and I worked through other stuff that was running, killing things one at a time. In the end the genie stopped reporting the overload. So I put it down to a subtle interaction with something else.

But it never made sense.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I have seen other reports of this. Never did get to the bottom of it.

This CPU bound hit me in the past several times, typically started when on the road and accessing other site networks.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7