Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie app password change

oregon4418
Aspirant

Genie app password change

How do I change the password for my Genie app?  The default password is "password" and the standard user name is "Admin".  This means that anyone who is familiar with Genie could log into your account.  Please note, I am NOT asking how to change the password on my router.  That's easy.  I just see absolutely no place to change the app password.  

Message 1 of 4

@oregon4418 wrote:

How do I change the password for my Genie app?  The default password is "password" and the standard user name is "Admin". 

Which genie app is this?

You refer to the genie. This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

Whichever you mean, that isn't the password for the genie app or program. It is the password for the management graphical user interface (GUI) of whatever device you are using.

And the admin (Not Admin) bit is fixed.

Any other passwords relate to other things, like Anywhere Access.

Message 2 of 4
oregon4418
Aspirant

I'm using both Android and Windows 10/Chrome.  I'm not Angelina Jolie in the movie "Hackers" level of knowledge, but I typically don't have issues changing passwords.  Every time my router consistently lags, I feel like someone has moved into range and since many people have owned Netgear routers, they most likely now that most people won't change the app user-name/password and can view their router's password plain as day.  Netgear really does nothing to mention this so most people just think making a strong router password is enough.  

Message 3 of 4

@oregon4418 wrote:

Every time my router consistently lags, I feel like someone has moved into range and since many people have owned Netgear routers, they most likely now that most people won't change the app user-name/password and can view their router's password plain as day. 

The only way in which a passing intruder can get in and change your router's settings is if they are on you local network. A passing stranger may well be able guess the router's admin access details, but even if they can work out what your IP address is and try to login with access address routerlogin.net or the IP address, they will be rejected. They will not be able to see your wifi passwords.

To access the settings from outside your network, you have to set up Anywhere Access.

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR ...

Then they have to negotiate a different set of usernames and passwords.

@oregon4418 wrote:

Netgear really does nothing to mention this so most people just think making a strong router password is enough.  

That is because, as I have explained, the risk of break ins is all but non existent. Why would Netgear worry users by mentioning a non-existent threat?

If you have problems with a flaky router, look elsewhere for solutions. Your understanding of what is going on is wrong and is causing you unnecessary anxiety.

By the way, you may find that most router makers adopt the same strategy as Netgear in managing local access. A quick Google search for Asus routers, a popular alternative to Netgear, will reveal the horrid truth. Same default access details.

Have you worked out yet that your original question is also based on not understanding how things work? There is no "genie password" regardless of what you are using to access the router. Your router has a password. The app wants that.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7