Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie won't connect to OpenDNS for Parental Controls

wflather
Tutor

Genie won't connect to OpenDNS for Parental Controls

I get I know there is already a good thread on this subject, but this !@*&($@#*&#&  forum app WON'T let me add my question to that thread.  So we get a new thread, sorry.

I am using the PC version of the Netgear Genie (V2.4.52), trying to set up the Parental Controls.

Created a new OpenDNS account using the link within the Genie app.

I can go directly to OpenDNS now and login just fine.

R7000 router tells me I have the latest Firmware update.  (V1.0.9.18_1.2.27)

Router has been powered down and up several times (using power cord)

Genie app has been closed and re-started several times. 

Windows Defender settings are set to allow GENIE to access all networks, Private and Public.

Still, when I try to sign in to my OpenDNS I get the following "There was an error signing in, please make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again."

????????????????????????????

Please help.

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
wflather
Tutor

Re: Genie won't connect to OpenDNS for Parental Controls

Solution found:

Emailed support at: netgearteam@netgear.com

They called while I was out of town, also emailed with a link to provide workable callback time and phone number as well as requested some basic system information.

Tech called back right on time.

Very polite and knowledgeable.

Had me download and run a remote control app so he could directly manipulate my system.

Updated firmware on router (even though router indicated firmware was up to date).

Tech took the time to back up the router settings first.

Re-downloaded latest Ver of Genie, which failed to work.

We confirmed that I had the correct OpenDNS login/pw by directly accessing OpenDNS through their website.

Uninstalled Genie, downloaded older version (2.4.38) from here: https://files.netgear-support.com/go/index.php?action=d&step=3

Installed this version.

This version of Genie connected successfully with Router and OpenDNS (after a couple tries, I probably entered password wrong)

Genie is  now working correctly.

Support this time was A+ in quality.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 23

All Replies

wrote:

I get I know there is already a good thread on this subject, but this !@*&($@#*&#&  forum app WON'T let me add my question to that thread.  So we get a new thread, sorry.

If you want people to pick up where the old thread left off, just provide a link here back to the original.

YOu could try downloading and reinstalling that version of the Desktop genie. There were reports here of problems with the first release. Unfortunately, Netgear chose to load a newer version with the same number.

If that doesn't work, try to find an earlier version.

Message 2 of 23
wflather
Tutor

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 23
wflather
Tutor

The awesomeness of the Netgear support pages continues:  Per you suggestion, I searched Netgear Support for Netgear Genie app download versions and YES:  found a link to a page describing version 2.4.52, dated Jan 25, 2018, a newer version than what I downloaded (yesterday v2.4.48.00).

Alas, the page includes NO link to a download of this version.  Huh? 

The only doanload links I can find for Genie is the app page I found originally.

Can you provide a link to a different version I could download?

Thanks,

Message 4 of 23
wflather
Tutor

Link to Genie ver 2.4.52 page I referenced above, with no download link

https://kb.netgear.com/000037853/Genie-Desktop-Version-2-4-52-2-4-32-Updated-Jan-25-2018

Message 5 of 23

The only doanload links I can find for Genie is the app page I found originally.

Can you provide a link to a different version I could download?

Did you try that original link?

As I said, there was a short lived version that Netgear pulled and replaced with something with the same version number.

This means that the link you have may well deliver something newer than the one that causes you grief.

Message 6 of 23
wflather
Tutor

RE: downloading newer version---

I downloaded the version I installed two days ago, downloaded again yesterday just to check.  Both files are the same size, with the same properties (version, timestamp, etc). 

While I think it unlikely that they updated the download yesterday, I'll still remove and re-install and see if there is any change.

Message 7 of 23

You  are probably right, but there was that fleeting report from several people.

The whole Netgear genie thing, and its versions, is strange.

One thing I have found is that installing an older version of the desktop genie can at least throw up a "new version available" alert when you open it.

Message 8 of 23
wflather
Tutor

I've installed Genie ver 2.2.28.23 (downloaded from CNET) after unistalling ver 2.4.48.0. 

This version tells me that "You don't appear to be connected to the internet.  Please connect to the Internet through your Netgear router and try again"

I have enabled the "Standard Parental Controls" in the web-based router admin tools.

Message 9 of 23
wflather
Tutor

....Oh yes, if I click on the Router Settings within Genie, I do get a login prompt, but it times out before the router authenticates it.  I was also getting this error with the other, newer version of Genie I had installed.   I have confirmed that I am using the correct login/pw for the router Admin.

Message 10 of 23
wflather
Tutor

Solution found:

Emailed support at: netgearteam@netgear.com

They called while I was out of town, also emailed with a link to provide workable callback time and phone number as well as requested some basic system information.

Tech called back right on time.

Very polite and knowledgeable.

Had me download and run a remote control app so he could directly manipulate my system.

Updated firmware on router (even though router indicated firmware was up to date).

Tech took the time to back up the router settings first.

Re-downloaded latest Ver of Genie, which failed to work.

We confirmed that I had the correct OpenDNS login/pw by directly accessing OpenDNS through their website.

Uninstalled Genie, downloaded older version (2.4.38) from here: https://files.netgear-support.com/go/index.php?action=d&step=3

Installed this version.

This version of Genie connected successfully with Router and OpenDNS (after a couple tries, I probably entered password wrong)

Genie is  now working correctly.

Support this time was A+ in quality.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 23
duker1111
Aspirant

The ENTIRE reason I purchased this unit was to use the Parental Controls.  3 different times, I try for several hours over a few days then give up.  I found this thread about the same issue that I'm facing ("There was an error signing in... blah blah blah") and got all excited that there might be a fix.  Alas, not so much.  😞

When i try to sign in to 'open a support ticket', the system tells me I've waited too long and it wants $$$.  When I try to open the FTP that supposedly contains the old Genie version that (might) work, my login information is not accepted.

Yup - OpenDNS knows there's an issue and has thrown it back onto Genie.  Help???  Please???  I don't want to go buy another router from another manufacturer.  

Message 12 of 23
wflather
Tutor

email support at: netgearteam@netgear.com

I had a very good experience with email and phone support.  Total opposite of this "Community" support.  Received an email response asking for a good time to call, then they called back almost right at the designated time.  Tech was able to get the mess working within a resonable amount of time. 

Message 13 of 23
Analytic_Al
Aspirant

The link you provided for old version of Genie requires a login, my Netgear login doesn't work, can you provide a working link for old version of Genie, or where did you get the login?

"Uninstalled Genie, downloaded older version (2.4.38) from here: https://files.netgear-support.com/go/index.php?action=d&step=3 "

I believe I have the same issue with Genie versioning.  My network and devices have worked for 2 years with Genie, parental controls, bypass login and OpenDNS.

I added a new PC, downloaded Genie from Netgear website this week, and this version of Genie won't login to OpenDNS or Parental controls on this PC.  Other PC's and devices are still working perfectly, and my web OpenDNS and bypass logins work.

I just can't use Genie to add bypass login on this new PC

Message 14 of 23
junitz
Aspirant

Hello!

I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmware Version 
V1.0.4.12_10.1.46

.....and I'm having the same problem. Tried formatting. Tried re-installing the stupid app 3 times. Tried to access from my cellphone app also. Same result. My filters on OPenDNS do not work!!! And I can't log into OPenDNS from ANYWHERE.

At this point, I'm thinking of buying a new router.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 15 of 23
wflather
Tutor

You should email support at netgearteam@netgear.com

They had a tech call me, he solved the issue.  As bad as the support forum is, the email and phone support was just the opposite, very good.

Message 16 of 23
junitz
Aspirant

Thanks.... I will give it a try.

Message 17 of 23
kingk
Aspirant

Genie OpenDNS parental controls not working.

New NightHawk app only mentions Circle.

Looks to me like Netgear is discontinuing the OpenDNS parental controls.

Some notification would have been nice instead of silently disabling it with updates.

Message 18 of 23
m2jel
Aspirant

I emailed them a week ago, no response.

Since it looks like the problem is with the current version of Genie (PC), I uninstalled what I had, ran CCleaner and then installed a downloaded version of Genie I had from July 2017.

With the older version of Genie, I logged into Parental Controls without a problem and was able to make changes to the filtering level of each of my devices.

Geesh! I'm getting fed up with Netgear - first there was the wifi dropping off back in November that seemed to finally cure itself in January (after I dropped another $275 on a new modem/router because I thought my old one was causing the problem); and now the parental controls with OpenDNS that they won't seem to acknowledge! Smiley Mad

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 19 of 23

@m2jel wrote:

Geesh! I'm getting fed up with Netgear - first there was the wifi dropping off back in November that seemed to finally cure itself in January

For the sake of accuracy, and history, I'll point out that that one was an early Christmas present from Google and its work on Chromecast and Android. It created a "wifi flood" on 2.4 GHz that affected pretty well all router makers.

It did not "finally cure itself". Google, Netgear and other router makers, along with their chipset suppliers, produced new firmware and software updates that mended the hole.

All of this is covered in excruciating detail in hundreds of messages in these forums.

Message 20 of 23
Analytic_Al
Aspirant

"Since it looks like the problem is with the current version of Genie (PC), I uninstalled what I had, ran CCleaner and then installed a downloaded version of Genie I had from July 2017.

With the older version of Genie, I logged into Parental Controls without a problem and was able to make changes to the filtering level of each of my devices."

I think this is exactly correct.  I have two Windows 7 PC's and an Android phone running an old version of Genie, OpenDNS works fine there, and I can edit the Parental controls and access the Bypass login.  I got  a new Windows 10 PC and installed the current version of Genie, it won't login to OpenDNS.  Does anyone have an old version of Genie for Windows 10? Prior versions aren't available on the Netgear website and I can't find one online. FYI the filedropper link posted above downloads a 0byte file for me.  My router is past the initial free service window and I don't want to access paid support... but if someone from Netgear reading this could make available a prior version of Windows 10 Genie I would install and test it.  Thanks!

Message 21 of 23
DanKI6X
Tutor

The workaround I use (hope it gets fixed properly though, the latest Genie update 2.4.54 still has the login issue with OPENDNS):

Use Parental Controls from there (you login to OPENDNS fine this way)

Dan

Message 22 of 23
wflather
Tutor

The parental controls provided by the router itself do work, although if you add meaningful names to devices it seems to forget them, which is a total PITA.  Please be aware that the IP address you use is an internal one, other users may use a different scheme, such as 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1.  Either are pretty standard, but I think Netgear usually defaults to the 192.168.n.n scheme.

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7