Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I would appreciate some help to make sure that I have the proper security settings on my router

eaglepi
Guide

I would appreciate some help to make sure that I have the proper security settings on my router

Hello,

I currently have the NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router, when I originally bought it I set it up according to the instructions but now I'm wondering if I set it up properly.  Course my most concern is my wireless security, currently on my 2.5 GHz and my 5 GHz my security options are set to WPA2-PSK [AES], I'm wondering if that is the most secure setting?

I originally set up this router in the basement of my home in my office and currently I've got one dead spot area in the house or I should say weak spot.  I downloaded an app to my iPhone and walked around the house to see the signal and there's one area of the house that it drops dramatically.  I also have a Netgear Wi-Fi extender, my plan is to move my router from the corner room and by basement to the very middle of the basement and then put the extender on this first level between the router and the weak spot.  I'm sure I will have other questions I will surely have questions about the extender but I'm not sure this is the right form for that question so at this point I will just leave it at this point and hopefully get an answer to my security options question.  The rest of the information was just so that you know what application I'm using my router in.

Message 1 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Re: I would appreciate some help to make sure that I have the proper security settings on my router

Yes, WPA2-PSK [AES] is the most secure setting.

Message 2 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

Re: I would appreciate some help to make sure that I have the proper security settings on my router

Something isn't right I have poor wireless when I am standing right by the router, this is a bit of a different question but still about Genie.

My 2.4 GHz and my 5 GHz say they are configured and they are active.  I just wonder if I have my settings correct?  Would somebody be able tell me what the settings for each section should be on my wireless for my 2.4 GHz and my 5 GHz, I can understand why I'm getting poor wireless signals when I'm standing right by the router.  I downloaded a app on my iPhone where I can walk around my house and see the different strengths of the signal and the further away I get from the modem the stronger he gets.  When I login to the 5 GHz network my speeds are between 60 and 80 and my cable modem plan is 100 so I would think I would be closer to 80 all the time especially when I'm in the same room as the router.

I hope you don't mind me asking a little bit of a different question, but it is still about the settings in Genie

Message 3 of 17
TheEther
Guru

What makes you think the signal gets stronger as you move farther away?  Wi-Fi signal strength is often expressed in a unit called the dBm.  For Wi-Fi signals, the value is always a negative number, so a larger value represent a weaker signal.  For example, -70 dBm is weaker than -50 dBm.

Wi-Fi speeds will depend on many factors:

• Signal strength
  • Congestion caused by nearby Wi-Fi networks operating on the same channel
  • Interference caused by nearby Wi-Fi networks operating on nearby channels
  • Interference caused by non-Wi-Fi devices, like microwave ovens, cordless telephones, baby monitors, Bluetooth devices, wireless speakers, etc.
  • The Wi-Fi protocol supported by the device (802.11n, 802.11ac, etc.)
  • The number of antennas in the device

Beyond that, speeds can also be affected by non-Wi-Fi factors:

• A bad connection to the Internet
  • Congestion in the Internet
  • Congestion on your Internet link caused by your other devices
  • High CPU loads on the device and/or router

That's a long-winded way of saying that without more information, it's really impossible to say why you are getting 60 to 80 Mbps on your 100 Mbps plan.  You should check whether a wired device can achieve speeds closer to 100 Mbps.  If it doesn't, then chances are the problem is with the modem, your Internet connection or the Internet itself.

Message 4 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

What info do you need to better help me?

Message 5 of 17
TheEther
Guru

You can start by testing the speed of a wired device.

Provide the data from your app.  Signal levels, number of nearby Wi-Fi networks and what channels they are on.  What channels you are using.  The types of devices you have and their Wi-Fi capabilities.  Whether you have eliminated any potential sources of interference.

Message 6 of 17
William10a
Master

Is your modem a modem/router with wifi combination it could the two see the other one and are going to war on the wifi band some you can be to close a wifi source to get a good signal even moving a few inches some times changes the wifi signal level.

Message 7 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

Thank you for expanding on your explanation and asking me direct questions, I will understand and be able to help you help me better this way.  As far as my router I have aNETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router which is not a combination cable modem and router.  I also have a cable modem which is a

Surf board 400 series, on the product UPC code it says ARRIS model S be 6141

I found my way in Genie to the access control area as I figured it would show my wireless connections, because I can't read all of the wireless names and full I do see they include by first name which is Ron so they have to be part of my wireless.

I'm in the process of moving my router to a more centrally located area but for now it is still in its original room.  Just wanted to let you know that and also tell you that I have a Netgear 3500 Wi-Fi extender that I connected to my router wirelessly earlier today.  So 3 of the wireless connection types are going to be from the Wi-Fi extender the very first wireless home network with the checkmark is my original wireless network, all the wired connections I can identify.  I've copied and pasted an image of my Genie access control panel and my iPad networks available.

I hope  you can see the image containing what I described aboveand it will help you understand my current set up and situation.

Message 8 of 17

@eaglepi wrote:

Hello,

I currently have the NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router

It probably doesn't matter, but AC1750 is not a router model. It is a wifi speed thing. Netgear makes several routers with that spec, including various versions of the R6400 and R6300.

Message 9 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

if my router isn't a router why does it say it's a router and why does it work like a router??

The description is,

NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R6400) 

Message 10 of 17

@eaglepi wrote:

if my router isn't a router ...

No one said that. What I said was that "AC1750 is not a router model".

As you say, the description is:

NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R6400)

The important bit is R6400. The AC1750 thing is misleading.

This is the first time that you have mentioned R6400. You may have said that when you posted your first message, but the bulletin board did not pass on this information.

Now we know what you are talking about.

Message 11 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

OK Thanks and sorry for not putting the whole name of my router.

You posted 3 lines in grayed out text was that something you were telling me? if so what should I do withthat info. Please remember I am here to get help because I know litter about configing routers so I can read stuff and know what to do with it without some guideence.

Modem Router: D6400 (Firmware V1.0.0.58_1.0.58.chk)
Powerline:XWN5001, XAVB5101, XWNB5201, XAVB5421
WiFi: WN2000RPT, WNDA3100

What does all the above mean????

Thanks

Ron

Message 12 of 17

@eaglepi wrote:

You posted 3 lines in grayed out text was that something you were telling me?

I have no idea. I see no greyed out text.

@eaglepi wrote:

Modem Router: D6400 (Firmware V1.0.0.58_1.0.58.chk)
Powerline:XWN5001, XAVB5101, XWNB5201, XAVB5421
WiFi: WN2000RPT, WNDA3100

What does all the above mean????

It means that that is the portfolio of Netgear equipment that I currently use. You will see similar "signatures" on messages from other people. Unfortunately, Netgear's forum software does not allow the same formatting that is available on other forums. If it did, these cryptic signatures would be easier to understand and to keep separate from the body text. I'll see if there is a way to clarify that information.

Message 13 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

Okay thank you, I wasn't sure if you are telling me to do something or not so I'll wait for some more posts addressing the screenshots I took to see if I need to change anything, thanks for your reply

Message 14 of 17
William10a
Master

@eaglepi wrote:

Thank you for expanding on your explanation and asking me direct questions, I will understand and be able to help you help me better this way.  As far as my router I have aNETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router which is not a combination cable modem and router.  I also have a cable modem which is a

Surf board 400 series, on the product UPC code it says ARRIS model S be 6141

I found my way in Genie to the access control area as I figured it would show my wireless connections, because I can't read all of the wireless names and full I do see they include by first name which is Ron so they have to be part of my wireless.

I'm in the process of moving my router to a more centrally located area but for now it is still in its original room.  Just wanted to let you know that and also tell you that I have a Netgear 3500 Wi-Fi extender that I connected to my router wirelessly earlier today.  So 3 of the wireless connection types are going to be from the Wi-Fi extender the very first wireless home network with the checkmark is my original wireless network, all the wired connections I can identify.  I've copied and pasted an image of my Genie access control panel and my iPad networks available.

I hope  you can see the image containing what I described aboveand it will help you understand my current set up and situation.

So the Arris is a modem only no router built in and Ron's home network is your's is that you named your Netgear router ssid or another router in the system?

I see that yo must have the guest network turned on also from the Netgear92-5G,NETGEAR92-5g_5gEXT, and Ron's home network_2GEXT which must be on the 2.4 ghz band from the posted scan. Since in other post it was said you may have the r6300 or r6400 router . Your wifi extender could solve this issue but at the cost of speed from the extender or a small router set to access point could work better plus give you a few extra lan ports in that room for wired devices the router could support via apower lan adapter or a lan cable wired lan port of main router to the lan port of the access point router.

Message 15 of 17
eaglepi
Guide

I'm not sure if we're losing communication because of language differences or if there's just misunderstanding of what I'm saying so let me repeat myself clearly so that everyone understands my current situation.

In your reply you mentioned my extender, and access point, currently the only router I have is the NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R6400) and I bought the Netgear 3500 extender, my understanding was that the extender should go between my router and any spot in the house that has a weak signal.  At no time was I told or did I read that I needed an access point.  The extender is what I chose instead of an access point.

My NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R6400) is indeed set up as Ron's home network, since I plugged in the extender it adds Netgear 92 – 5G, Netgear – 5G_5G EXT, Ron's home network_2G EXT is my 2.4 GHz.

In the image of the access control panel of my router I can identify with the exception of the sixth line down which has a – in the device namespace.  That one I cannot identify but it has to be something related to my extender because it has Ron's home network but I can't see the rest of it in the access control panel.  I was hoping that the screenshot of my wireless network that I posted a picture from my iPad showing what networks I have in the house obviously I have a 2.4 GHz wireless from the router I have in a 5.0 GHz.  The extender added to entries for 5G and one for 2.4 G, I don't understand why the 5 GHz is listed in two different ways one as the Netgear 92 – 5G and the second one is the Netgear 92 – 5G_5G EXT, from reading about the extender it says that it will create wireless connections and those connections will end in EXT so the two that end in EXT I can assume come from my extender, I don't want to assume that the Netgear 92 – 5G is the wireless signal coming out of my NETGEAR AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R6400).

Like I said I am in the process of moving my router to a more central location in the bottom floor of my house I think I'll get better coverage and with the extender being between the router in the upstairs of my house it should cover all of my house with good signals.  I guess nobody is really saying from my settings that anything is wrong so maybe now I will just go ahead and move my router and see what kind of signals I get through all my house.  Once that's done I will come back and give you guys and girls any results that have changed.

Thank you for all your replies I appreciate them very much

Ron

Message 16 of 17
William10a
Master

Yes WPA2-PSK [AES] is best secuirty setting fof wifi I would use nothing lease I would change the 5 ghz band's ssid as Netgear92_5 is a netgear default ssid and passphrease is not the best the use by the Netgear92_5g_5gEXT will change when you change the Netgear92_5g ssid.

If still have a low area of coverage moving the router and wifi extender may help or add one to the bad area.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7