Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lack of PC network mgmt. and staying connected for pandemic remote work

THERifleman
Aspirant

Lack of PC network mgmt. and staying connected for pandemic remote work

I am trying to manage my home workstation and continue my professional career in this new pandemic "E-normal". I also need to manage my home network which MUST remain reliable. BUT, while I am a professional, I am NOT a Network Engineer, nor do I have the time nor inclination to be. I quit using other major networking brands (2010) because Netgear was demonstrably reliable and seemed to be better at supporting users to be able to manage their increasingly powerful and complicated small network with intuitive mgmt. UI and minimal technical understanding.

I have a home workstation that is my livelihood for 2 years now. A WIN10 PC (software updated), a Dell, CAD capable tower workstation. Next to this workstation are a RAX-80 and an RN31600 NAS. (thanks for the "info. to provide" reminder, Michaelkenward)

I think Netgear has decided that I need to manage everything from my phone to be hip.  I just want to get my work done with minimal frustration regarding my network!

Netgear, Please bring back a PC User Interface for Network Management!!  👍
Thank you.

THER

Message 1 of 6

What do you want to manage?

I think Netgear has decided that I need to manage everything from my phone to be hip. 

Apps are the devil's plaything but they have their uses.

Message 2 of 6
THERifleman
Aspirant

All the capabilities of Genie or Nighthawk Network mgmt. app, but for a Win10 PC, not my phone or tablet.

Genie no longer available for a download update from Netgear Support.

Nighthawk app is only available for mobile devices.

I assume the two statements above are true due to a large number of gripes in the Netgear Community forum or Google searches, all without viable solutions.

Message 3 of 6

@THERifleman wrote:

Genie no longer available for a download update from Netgear Support.

This?

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 4 of 6
THERifleman
Aspirant

Thank you for your response and the reminder about that download.

Yes, that download for Win10 Genie was one of the hits I got during my search efforts. My computer didn't know what to do with a .rar file extension and I had never heard of rar. I guess this compression platform is taking the place of zip. But there is no readme, no guidance, no instructions for downloading, etc.  That is my initial response when seeing that download a week ago. I thought it was uncharacteristic for Netgear support.

My main gripe (and I know, I am *w*itching) is the pages and pages I found on Netgear Community and internet where people have complained about Netgear's network mgmt. platform shift and they cannot seem to find support for the PC platforms. Fly to the end of the threads and it appears that no resolution is seen by the posters.

Netgear IS very good with sharing How-To information, so I can't help but wonder why so many users are still having trouble finding information about support for the PC platform.

I will try the .rar download, once I find and download the rosetta stone for opening rar extensions.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Message 5 of 6

@THERifleman wrote:

My computer didn't know what to do with a .rar file extension and I had never heard of rar. I guess this compression platform is taking the place of zip.

That's it. RAR is one of the most common archive formats. (Try Google.) Heaven only knows why Netgear chose that format.

There are plenty of free RAR handlers out there. It is not built into Windows but does come in the file manager that I use. (DOpus.)

The 10 Best Tools to Open RAR Files

My main gripe (and I know, I am *w*itching) is the pages and pages I found on Netgear Community and internet where people have complained about Netgear's network mgmt. platform shift and they cannot seem to find support for the PC platforms.

True propeller heads go nowhere near apps and they don't like the genie, sometimes vehemently. That both have their uses is not enough to convince them.

In their case they find it easier to use the native browser graphical user interface (GUI). That does nearly everything that other "helpers" handle.

In my case I use all three approaches as appropriate.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7