Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest firmware breakd D6200 web GUI, how do I roll back using the Genie?

Garry4
Aspirant

Latest firmware breakd D6200 web GUI, how do I roll back using the Genie?

Hi,

The latest firmware for the D6200 (V1.1.00.34_1.00.34) has broken the web GUI. I have tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge, all show a mostly text page. If I use the Genie to try and update (to roll back) the firmware it only has the online update option, not update using a file (I have downloaded the previous version)

How can I load firmware from a file without the web GUI?

I presume that a factory reset will still use the firmware currently running, rather than reverting to the version it shipped with??

Many thanks,

Garry

Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

@Garry4 wrote:

I am able to log into the router using the browser interface, but the home page displayed is simply dumb text, with the exception of the logout text which in fact does allow me to log back out again. All the other text seems to be text only. (I have not explored the HTML behind the page)

What does "simply dumb text" mean?

Screen (Alt + Print Screen) shot?

I assume that you tried routerlogin.net.

You could try the more severe recovery reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

This might dislodge any corrupt settings in the firmware.

There is another way of applying firmware:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In your case, unlike many of the people who need that, you start with the advantage that your D6200 is not bricked, with a flashing orange power LED.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies

@Garry4 wrote:

The latest firmware for the D6200 (V1.1.00.34_1.00.34) has broken the web GUI. I have tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge, all show a mostly text page.

And that text page says?

What do the LEDs look like on the thing?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

@Garry4 wrote:

I presume that a factory reset will still use the firmware currently running, rather than reverting to the version it shipped with??

Yes.

Message 2 of 12
Garry4
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>  And that text page says?

I have attached a screenshot.

> What do the LEDs look like on the thing?

Normal, three greens (Power, DSL and internet) and a blue (WiFi)

> Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

No, I am about to try that tonight.

Do you know if a release is a full release, or a patch? By that I mean is it possible that some resource used for the GUI isn't included in the release and it has somehow become corrupted? If so, may an earlier release include this?

A random thought I know.

Is there a menu item that I have missed in either the Android Genie or the Windows Genie that allows a file update rather than the online update?

Again, many thanks.

Garry

Message 3 of 12

@Garry4 wrote:

Is there a menu item that I have missed in either the Android Genie or the Windows Genie that allows a file update rather than the online update?

Yes. Read the manual.

There is support for the D6200 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D6200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Look at the firmware downloads and read the release notes.

Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Garry4 wrote:

Neither of the two allow a file based individual firmware upload. Much more you have to use your router Web UI.

Message 5 of 12
Garry4
Aspirant

schumaku is correct. The release notes say;
> Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
> Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade

Sadly I have now effectivly "bricked" the router. I did a factory reset, and not only did it not fix the problem, but all the ADSL credentials are of course gone, and I can't enter them without the web GUI.

Sigh.

Any ideas?

Is there a url that triggers a firmware file upload?? such as something like 192.168.0.1/advanced/update, or is all generated on the fly?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 12

@Garry4 wrote:

Sadly I have now effectivly "bricked" the router. I did a factory reset, and not only did it not fix the problem, but all the ADSL credentials are of course gone, and I can't enter them without the web GUI.

"Bricked" is a term that refers to a device that simply will not work. The usual indicator is a flashing power LED. Is that what you see?

Hard to know what you mean by the web GUI. The browser interface?

The documentation explains how to do this.

And this:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Garry4 wrote:

Is there a url that triggers a firmware file upload?? such as something like 192.168.0.1/advanced/update, or is all generated on the fly?

If you can get at that page in the interface you can either perform a manual upload as described in the release notes or you can invite the modem/router to do it automatically.

Message 7 of 12
Garry4
Aspirant

Hi,

> "Bricked" is a term that refers to a device that simply will not work. The usual indicator is a flashing power LED. Is that what you see?

Sorry, I have indeed played a bit loose with the term "bricked".

The router appears to be fully functional with the exception of the browser interface, this is where I use a browser and "point it" to, in my case 192.168.0.1. and log in.

(I have said "bricked" as esentially the router is unuseable, and apparently unrecoverable)

The Windows Genie, and Android Genie still connect and appear to be fully functional. They simply don't have the functionality I need to be able to configure the router.

> If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I am able to log into the router using the browser interface, but the home page displayed is simply dumb text, with the exception of the logout text which in fact does allow me to log back out again. All the other text seems to be text only. (I have not explored the HTML behind the page)

> If you can get at that page in the interface ...

Sadly I only get a cut down, text only version of the homepage, with no active links enabling me to navigate to the firmware upload page.

So, in summary;

+ I can log in using the browser interface, but the web page displayed is text only without any means to navigate to other pages.

+ The Windows and Android Genies work ok, but they do not have enough functionality to configure the router.

+ The Windows Genie has the functionality to trigger a firmware update, but only from the web server, which of course says that the firmware is up to date so does nothing.

Many thanks,

Garry

Message 8 of 12

@Garry4 wrote:

What does "simply dumb text" mean?

Screen (Alt + Print Screen) shot?

I assume that you tried routerlogin.net.

You could try the more severe recovery reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

This might dislodge any corrupt settings in the firmware.

There is another way of applying firmware:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In your case, unlike many of the people who need that, you start with the advantage that your D6200 is not bricked, with a flashing orange power LED.

Message 9 of 12
Garry4
Aspirant

Hi,

> What does "simply dumb text" mean?
The text is simple text rather than being a link or input element etc.

> Screen (Alt + Print Screen) shot?
Attached.

> I assume that you tried routerlogin.net.
Yes

> There is another way of applying firmware:
> How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support
Oooo, I like that, this is exactly what I have been looking for.
I will try this, and, hopefully all will end well!

Many thanks.

Garry

Message 10 of 12

That screen looks like one of the "hidden" ways into the router.

For light relief, try this:

http://routerlogin.com/debug.htm

Message 11 of 12
Garry4
Aspirant

Hi all,

Many thanks for your efforts, after the router kept rejecting the TFTP connection I have given in and bought a new D7000v2 Nighthawk router.

Having issues with it not logging stuff, but that is for a different thread if I can't figure it out.

Again, many thanks.

Garry

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7