Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Media server no longer available on R7000 after the recent genie app change

FranceC
Tutor

Media server no longer available on R7000 after the recent genie app change

Hi Netgear community,

This is my first post on this forum. I am (I could change my mind ) an entusiastic Netgear product user and I am happy wihtt he R7000 modem. After the Genie change to the Nighthawk app, I notice that the Media server (ReadyDLNA) no longer available on R7000.

I have the suspect that this functionality was removed after one recent firmware update.I am currrently running the latest one (V1.0.9.88_10.2.88)

Is anyone experience the same issue or confirm that the media is gone?

Thanks community

Francesco

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Media server no longer available on R7000 after the recent genie app change

So @Christian_R ... please make these managers implementing the products are documented.

===
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000 User Manual
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf
p.98
Specify ReadyDLNA Media Server Settings
By default, the router acts as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you view movies and
photos on DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, such as Xbox360, Playstation, and
NETGEAR media players.
===

The release notes state:
"Removes the following features: iTunes Server, Downloader, Time Machine, Kwilt, and TiVo" - so no word the ReadyDLNA Server and it's UI control will be removed, too.

Big mistake, just like the **** decision to remove the ability to use the routers as a Time Capsule destination for time machine.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The migration from the Genie App to the Nighthawk App does not change anything on the router based services.

In my understanding, ReadyDLNA is retained - check 

ADVANCED -> USB Storage -> Media Server 

or 

ADVANCED -> ReadySHARE -> Media Server

As per the R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.88 release notes:

"- Removes the following features: iTunes Server, Downloader, Time Machine, Kwilt, and TiVo"

There is still the possibility that you used the Windows or MacOS based Genie - here there is yet another (not trouble free) UPnP AV/DLNA meida server built-in, too. Or your media clients connected to the iTunes Server or TiVo so aren't DLNA DMR/DMC.

Message 2 of 8
FranceC
Tutor

Thanks for your reply schumaku.

Unfortunately the ADVANCED -> USB Storage -> Media Server option is gone.

Please refer to the screenshoot.

The router was streaming the media to the chromecast and I could do it from the Genie App on my phone. That's was the beauty, no need of a computer or additional device to act as media server. 😞

This is disappointing.

Another options could be to downgrade the formware version to the last one that support it.

Thanks for your help anyway

France

Message 3 of 8

Have you investigated the desktop genie?

The "My Media" tab may offer some clues.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Have you investigated the desktop genie? The "My Media" tab may offer some clues.

Not the same - that would run an UPnP AV (DLNA) DMS on the desktop system, not on teh router.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

So @Christian_R ... please make these managers implementing the products are documented.

===
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000 User Manual
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf
p.98
Specify ReadyDLNA Media Server Settings
By default, the router acts as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you view movies and
photos on DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, such as Xbox360, Playstation, and
NETGEAR media players.
===

The release notes state:
"Removes the following features: iTunes Server, Downloader, Time Machine, Kwilt, and TiVo" - so no word the ReadyDLNA Server and it's UI control will be removed, too.

Big mistake, just like the **** decision to remove the ability to use the routers as a Time Capsule destination for time machine.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@FranceC Dear Fancesco, desperately hope the marked solution is not the end of the discussion with Netgear here. Thank you for the positive feeback anyway!

Message 7 of 8
FranceC
Tutor

Hope so as well, but I kind of losing hope. And probably think about other solutions. It is really sad that a funcionality is no longer supported and removed during the life of a product also unespected honestly.

Thanks for the help anyway  

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7