Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie PC Windows Command Processor Pop Ups

RYza
Aspirant

Netgear Genie PC Windows Command Processor Pop Ups

Hi,

Sometimes when my internet is down and I reconnect it with the Netgear Genie app (Ver. 2.4.60)  I'll get very frequent Windows Command Processor Popups which are extremely annoying.

It asks "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" (See photo)

I've scanned for viruses and malware but it says all the files are fine.

It doesn't happen with any other programs. I'm running a HP Laptop 15 with Windows 10

How can I stop these pop ups?

Thankyou!

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@RYza wrote:

Sometimes when my internet is down and I reconnect it with the Netgear Genie app (Ver. 2.4.60)  I'll get very frequent Windows Command Processor Popups which are extremely annoying.

Frequent? It does happen only when Genie is launched.

@RYza wrote:

It asks "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" (See photo)

Not a risk - this happens because of a user space application does have to launch a daemon (a system background process) - and Windows UAC will jump in as this requires higher privileges.

Root cause is a lazy program installation system - much better would be if Netgear would launch the daemon along with the system start. @Christian_R  @ChristineT that's one of several flaws in the Netgear Genie (desktop) version. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

That's from Windows.

I have never seen that one.

But I don't get this bit:

Sometimes when my internet is down and I reconnect it with the Netgear Genie app

If this is the D7000 modem/router, why are you using the genie to reconnect it?

When you say "internet is down", does that refer to the DSL connection or to the wifi link to the  D7000?

Message 2 of 6
RYza
Aspirant

Thanks Micheal. Sorry for the confusion. This is my first post.

The wifi link to my PC has been dropping out lately.

Not sure if that's due to my net provider or possibly my own connections ( which I hope I've sorted )

Is there a better option than Genie? I've just noticed there's a new Nighthawk app although doesn't seem like it supports my model.

Nevertheless I've just uninstalled Genie as the pop ups were just plain annoying.

Still not sure why it was happening.

Thanks.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 6

@RYza wrote:

The wifi link to my PC has been dropping out lately.

Not sure if that's due to my net provider or possibly my own connections ( which I hope I've sorted )

Just the PC? What about other things?

You need to pin it down to the modem router or the wifi clients.

What do the LEDs on the D7000 look like when this happens?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Is there a better option than Genie? I've just noticed there's a new Nighthawk app although doesn't seem like it supports my model.

To do what? You don't say what you used the genie to do. Reboot the router? Connect the PC to the wifi?

If the latter, then stick with doing it in Windows?

We have now strayed off the app issue, so you might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

DSL Modems & Routers

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@RYza wrote:

Frequent? It does happen only when Genie is launched.

@RYza wrote:

Not a risk - this happens because of a user space application does have to launch a daemon (a system background process) - and Windows UAC will jump in as this requires higher privileges.

Root cause is a lazy program installation system - much better would be if Netgear would launch the daemon along with the system start. @Christian_R  @ChristineT that's one of several flaws in the Netgear Genie (desktop) version. 

Message 5 of 6
RYza
Aspirant

Thanks for your help Michael but seeing as you sidetracked from my issue about the Genie app I will find appropriate help elsewhere.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7