Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie showing over 1900 connections

insainzeno
Aspirant

Netgear Genie showing over 1900 connections

I've had this netgear CM500 modem for 2 years now. All of a suddent I've started to have issues with connectivity. I called my ISP but they said everything is fine on their end. I then tried switching my router with another router but that hasn't changed the connection issue. So then it came down to my modem. When I disconnect my router from my modem and connected my modem to my PC, the Netgear Genie application says I'm connected to 1900 (and counting) devices despite only being connected to my 1 computer. Is this the reason I've been having connection issues? If so, how do I fix this? If not can someone tell me what's going on? Here are 2 screenshots. I still have some connection to the internet, albeit it's spotty, which annoys me to no end having to stop what I'm doing online constantly to wait for an internet connection again.Netgear genie.pngNetgear genie 2.png

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Freaky.

Perfectly correct - the Genie (desktop) program is right - all these computers are on the same subnet.

@michaelkenward wrote:

But the CM500 is just a modem. The network map will be down to the router. What is it?

Correct again. Lack of a NAT router, the modem does connect to the cable company headend, hand-out one Public IPv4 address (for one computer or for one router WAN/Internet port).These addresses are from your ISP (rcn.com/rcn.net) assigned IP-Network-Block 66.44.8.0 - 66.44.15.255. A cable headend is connecting a large amount of clients, so big IP subnets are nothing uncommon.  /21 or /20 subnets on a single RF headend are typical, this makes 2046 available addresses on a /21 (255.255.248.0) or 4094 available addresses on a /20 (255.255.255.240.0) subnet.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Have you tried searching for all those IP addresses? Half the planet seems to be running on your network.

No, just some thousand customers from that very same ISP.

@insainzeno nothing wrong, nothing to worry - except that you must ensure your computer firewall is configured to connect to a public network.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Genie forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/bd-p/home-genie

Is there a wireless router connected between the modem and your PC? Doesn't look like it ,thus Genie is seeing everything else on the modems network in your nieghborhood with your PC directly connected to the back of the modem? Put a wifi router in between the modem and your PC.

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 8

Freaky. But the CM500 is just a modem. The network map will be down to the router. What is it?

What do you see if you use the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Have you tried searching for all those IP addresses? Half the planet seems to be running on your network.

Message 3 of 8
insainzeno
Aspirant

You're right, it's only my modem but the network map is not down only to my router. My modem is only connected to my computer but this is what it shows on Genie. And yes, I have tried to enter those IP addresses on my web browser but nothing comes up.

Message 4 of 8

If this is a hardware issue, you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, the CM500, in the appropriate section for that device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Freaky.

Perfectly correct - the Genie (desktop) program is right - all these computers are on the same subnet.

@michaelkenward wrote:

But the CM500 is just a modem. The network map will be down to the router. What is it?

Correct again. Lack of a NAT router, the modem does connect to the cable company headend, hand-out one Public IPv4 address (for one computer or for one router WAN/Internet port).These addresses are from your ISP (rcn.com/rcn.net) assigned IP-Network-Block 66.44.8.0 - 66.44.15.255. A cable headend is connecting a large amount of clients, so big IP subnets are nothing uncommon.  /21 or /20 subnets on a single RF headend are typical, this makes 2046 available addresses on a /21 (255.255.248.0) or 4094 available addresses on a /20 (255.255.255.240.0) subnet.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@insainzeno nothing wrong, nothing to worry - except that you must ensure your computer firewall is configured to connect to a public network.

Message 6 of 8
insainzeno
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. That answers a lot. Doesn't solve the issue of the spotty internet connection but that helps. It seems my modem can no longer handle intense internet traffic so I've decided to get a new one that's DOCSIS 3.1 certified. As for the firewall, I'm inexperienced when it comes to that so any recommandation is welcomed.

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Freaky.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@insainzeno wrote:

Doesn't solve the issue of the spotty internet connection but that helps.

Without any more insight, hard to help. 

@insainzeno wrote:

It seems my modem can no longer handle intense internet traffic so I've decided to get a new one that's DOCSIS 3.1 certified.

Unless you subscribe to a 700 Mb/s or faster Gigbit service, a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is certainly enough, providing 500..600 Mb/s downstream.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7