Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear genie router username login disabled

ukoldgit
Apprentice

Netgear genie router username login disabled

Cannot type anything into the username field to login into the router. 3 updates ago this worked. 3 updates later it's still not fixed. I'm using this app on a iPad and iPhone and it doesn't work on either.

Does Netgear actually check these updates?

Absolutely appalling.

Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
ukoldgit
Apprentice

After discussions with Level 2 support and being sent a D7000v2 to try I can more or less confirm for me anyway the problem lies within the Genie app, they've now made it incompatable with the D7000v1, now whether this is intentional or not I don't know. (This may also be the problem with other older models)

What they could've done is made available the the last known app that works on older models and warn user that it would nolonger be updated.

I didn't keep the D7000v2 as the various firmware updates I tried had too many problems but it worked great with app lol which I can live without, I'd sooner have a reliable Modem/router then the Genie app!

Thanks go to @DexterJB and Paul at Level 2 support for there help

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 30

All Replies
Kathnello
Initiate

Cannot login.  Cannot enter username. 

Message 2 of 30

@ukoldgit wrote:

Cannot type anything into the username field to login into the router. 3 updates ago this worked. 3 updates later it's still not fixed. I'm using this app on a iPad and iPhone and it doesn't work on either.

We know nothing about your hardware, or what is blocking you. So this response is all general stuff,

What are you trying to login to? Wifi? Router? Something else?

You have to connect to the wifi before you can login to the graphical user interface (GUI) with an iPad or iPhone. The wifi username (SSID) and password (passphrase) are what you set them to be or the defaults on your harwdare.

That is for a local a connection where you are on the same wifi network as your router.

Then you can use the password to get at the GUI. The username is always admin and the password is whatever you have set it to be. (The default is password.)

If you are trying to connect one a different network, over the internet, this is remote access. To use that you have to set it up on your router and through mynetgear.

Message 3 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

We know nothing about your hardware, or what is blocking you. So this response is all general stuff,

What are you trying to login to? Wifi? Router? Something else?

You have to connect to the wifi before you can login to the graphical user interface (GUI) with an iPad or iPhone. The wifi username (SSID) and password (passphrase) are what you set them to be or the defaults on your harwdare.

That is for a local a connection where you are on the same wifi network as your router.

Then you can use the password to get at the GUI. The username is always admin and the password is whatever you have set it to be. (The default is password.)

If you are trying to connect one a different network, over the internet, this is remote access. To use that you have to set it up on your router and through mynetgear.

I did reply to this but it seems to have been deleted.

If indeed you don't need the user name as it is fixed to admin why do you have to enter it when you login via 192.168.0.1 ?

So given that you can't enter the username in the Genie app why even show it.

Also as the app worked 3 updates ago and indeed allowed you to type into the user name field seems to suggest the updates have caused a problem which once again Netgear will not acknowledge.

Your reply also implies you do not know what the Genie app does or is used for on iPad/iPhone. Being unable to login into the router using the app renders over 50% of the app useless.

As I explicitly mentioned the router in this sentence "Cannot type anything into the username field to login into the router." and you ask "What are you trying to login to? Wifi? Router? Something else?" makes me wonder why you even bothered to respond.

I don't expect anyone from Netgear to respond as they are absolutely appaling with their support unless you pay for it but rely on people guessing as to what is asked and reply with something that is no help whats so ever.

Message 4 of 30

@ukoldgit wrote:

As I explicitly mentioned the router in this sentence "Cannot type anything into the username field to login into the router." and you ask "What are you trying to login to? Wifi? Router? Something else?" makes me wonder why you even bothered to respond.

Because your message was not clear.

People turn up here and say "cannot login" without making it clear that they are already connected to the wifi. Hence those questions seeking clarification. If you don't want to provide further details so that we can understand what is happening at your end, and just want to have to a moan, that's your prerogative. 

Message 5 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

Because your message was not clear.

People turn up here and say "cannot login" without making it clear that they are already connected to the wifi. Hence those questions seeking clarification. If you don't want to provide further details so that we can understand what is happening at your end, and just want to have to a moan, that's your prerogative. 

As this is the Genie forum, I would assume you would realise it was the app, if I'd wanted to know about wifi login I would've of asked but I asked about the netgear genie login not working ie not allowing to connect to the router. As this was working before the updates and several other people are posting with a similar problem, I would've thought it was pretty obvious what the problem was.

If you choose not to read, understand these prompts from me and other posts then there is not much to say.

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt so you can get it fixed.

Router/modem switched on yes

Connected to wifi yes

Connected to the same network yes

Using iPad/iPhone

Genie app running yes

Genie app shows the right wifi ssid

Genie app request me to login to manage router

Genie app 3 updates ago would log into the router using the right psw

Genie app no longer logins in to router saying wrong username or password

Password was always the same as for login using 192.168.0.1 and still works

If with this information you get it fixed you will go up in my expectations but as Netgear have updated this app on Feb 1 2019 (which broke it), Feb 10 2019 and Feb 26 2019 and still didn't fix it I'll be surprised if you can.

Message 6 of 30

@ukoldgit wrote:

Er, what are you on about?

I suspected that you were a bit behind the curve. That simply conforms it.

I can fix nothing. This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers here come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

Reading your messages suggests to me that there isn't much that Netgear can fix. That begins at your end.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 7 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

Er, what are you on about?

I suspected that you were a bit behind the curve. That simply conforms it.

I can fix nothing. This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers here come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

Reading your messages suggests to me that there isn't much that Netgear can fix. That begins at your end.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

So in fact you don't know anything other then to reiterate the simplest things and come across very condescending.

You would fit in very well with Netgear, I didn't expect much help and I wasn't dissapointed.

As I said before Netgear want you to pay for support for something they broke. It's a pity you don't have connections with netgear then maybe you could seek advice that would be helpful.

Reading this "Reading your messages suggests to me that there isn't much that Netgear can fix. That begins at your end." really enforces what you know. If it worked before and no longer works after a update how on earth can it be at my end?

Anyway thanks for your time, it was amusing if nothing else.

Message 8 of 30
schumaku
Guru

@ukoldgit wrote:

As this is the Genie forum, I would assume you would realise it was the app,...

Well, there can be the local admin login or the remote login.

@ukoldgit wrote:

If with this information you get it fixed you will go up in my expectations but as Netgear have updated this app on Feb 1 2019 (which broke it), Feb 10 2019 and Feb 26 2019 and still didn't fix it I'll be surprised if you can.

In all the long text there is no word of the router and it's firmware you try to connect to.

Reason? Netgear has introduced some interoperability issues with recent Genie App updates (probably iOS specific) _and_ router firmware which does - just from monitoring and reading many posts here - prohibit any successful login from some iOS Genie App to some router model only. 

But like @michaelkenward  I'm not Netgear - we can just monitor and try to leep the users informed. We can write more or less nice emails to some inofficial contacts we have in Netgear, but this is it. At some point, we tend to give up, because there is no feedback, no confirmation, or lack of detail information.

Sometimes rolling back the firmware - especially if recently updated - on the router side does bring back the Genie login. At a cost of vulnerabilities and issues fixed not workable.

Afraid @ukoldgit we can't make any wonders. But I'm happy to tag some Netgear people like @ChristineT  and @Christian_R who can take over the control here, permitting the additional information is provided.

Message 9 of 30
schumaku
Guru

@ukoldgit wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

In all the long text there is no word of the router and it's firmware you try to connect to.

Reason? Netgear has introduced some interoperability issues with recent Genie App updates (probably iOS specific) _and_ router firmware which does - just from monitoring and reading many posts here - prohibit any successful login from some iOS Genie App to some router model only. And updating the App alone won't fix the problem.

But like @michaelkenward  I'm not Netgear - we can just monitor and try to leep the users informed. We can write more or less nice emails to some inofficial contacts we have in Netgear, but this is it. At some point, we tend to give up, because there is no feedback, no confirmation, or lack of detail information.

Sometimes rolling back the firmware - especially if recently updated - on the router side does bring back the Genie login. At a cost of vulnerabilities and issues fixed not workable.

Afraid @ukoldgit we can't make any wonders. But I'm happy to tag some Netgear people like @ChristineT  and @Christian_R who can take over the control here, permitting the additional information is provided.

Message 10 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

Reason? Netgear has introduced some interoperability issues with recent Genie App updates (probably iOS specific) _and_ router firmware which does - just from monitoring and reading many posts here - prohibit any successful login from some iOS Genie App to some router model only. And updating the App alone won't fix the problem.

D7000 Nighthawk router/modem

iPad and iPhone are unable to gain local access via the genie app, iPad iOS 10.3.3 and iPhon iOS 12.1.4

Version 3.1.64, 13 sept 2018 app worked

Version 3.1.70, 01 Feb 2019 killed the app

Version 3.1.72, 10 Feb 2019 didn't fix it

Version 3.1.74, 26 Feb 2019 didn't fix it

I can access router via 192.168.0.1 using any browser, always have been able to.

It's local access doesn't work, remote access seems to allow the password to work but doesn't show the router so I assume this is just another part of the app that is broken but as I never use remote access who knows.

Nothing has changed my end, I'm not going to try any other firmware for router as the last two updates for that stopped network access but thats another story along with recent ReadyShare app update that nolonger works how it should.

All in all very dissapointed with Netgear support and I say it once more that they expect you to pay for support for something that is their fault.

They need to be more honest with their updates, the last 2 genie updates notes state Updates and enhancement, the one that broke the app states Includes security enhancements and Includes bug fixes. So if someone knows there was a problem they don't know if it's fixed or not.

I dont expect anyone here to be able to fix it but with the amount of people posting with the problem and the lack of informed replies I would hope there is a way of flaging this up to Netgear.

Message 11 of 30

@ukoldgit wrote:

Nothing has changed my end, I'm not going to try any other firmware for router as the last two updates for that stopped network access but thats another story along with recent ReadyShare app update that nolonger works how it should.

To me this suggests a deeper issue. Had every user of the D7000 had the same issue, we would know about it.

There have been problems with iPhone apps, but that has nothing to do with the router firmware. There are, though, subtle interactions between firmware and the myriad apps that Netgear uses. That's why it helps to have complete information.

@ukoldgit wrote:

I dont expect anyone here to be able to fix it but with the amount of people posting with the problem and the lack of informed replies I would hope there is a way of flaging this up to Netgear.

It took quite a few messages to get you to provide useful information. Don't blame us for not being able to fill in the gaps.

Message 12 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@michaelkenward 

Once again your response is of no help. Read your first few replies, you talk about having to feel in the gaps maybe you should use some other copy paste text that was more meaningful it might actually be more helpful.

Let me see if I can help you.

Anyone using the genie app that cannot login to the router via manage login please provide the following

01) Router/Modem Model

02) Firmware version of the Router/Modem

03) Device the genie app is running on

04) Device OS version

05) Version of the genie app

06) Did this happen after a recent genie app update ?

07) Did this happen after a recent Router/Modem firmware update ?

08) If 07 is yes, have you tried rolling back Router/Modem firmware update ?

09) If 08 is yes, did it fix it ?

10) Is your device connected to the right wifi network ?

11) Can you connect to the Router/Modem using a browser and a url of 192.168.0.1 with the correct username and password ?

As I am not employed by Netgear filling in the above may or may not help resolve the issue as I have no contact with Netgear.

Just as an aside, I dont know if you're using iPad/iPhone but if you are go look at the reviews of the Netgear Genie.

Message 13 of 30
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

This has been reported to engineering and will be worked on. @ukoldgit, I've sent you a message a few days back. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@DexterJB 

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi all,

This has been reported to engineering and will be worked on. @ukoldgit, I've sent you a message a few days back. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Community Team

Hi Dexter, I've had messages from L2 support saying they couldnt phone me on the number I provided, not surprising as I didn't supply one but asked to be contacted by email. This was followed by another message saying as they hadn't heard from me they would close the case and to let them know if I still needed help with my device. Which I've done.

I find it appaling that it would it seem that a L2 support expert has absolutely no idea what the reason for the contact was. As I would've thought the information would have been passed to them, obviously not.

You stated "This has been reported to engineering and will be worked on.", I cannot understand how this will be worked on when a L2 support expert doesn't seem to have any information about the problem.

Message 15 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

After discussions with Level 2 support and being sent a D7000v2 to try I can more or less confirm for me anyway the problem lies within the Genie app, they've now made it incompatable with the D7000v1, now whether this is intentional or not I don't know. (This may also be the problem with other older models)

What they could've done is made available the the last known app that works on older models and warn user that it would nolonger be updated.

I didn't keep the D7000v2 as the various firmware updates I tried had too many problems but it worked great with app lol which I can live without, I'd sooner have a reliable Modem/router then the Genie app!

Thanks go to @DexterJB and Paul at Level 2 support for there help

Message 16 of 30
negan07
Tutor

replacing is not needed

simply type from console:

echo "LoginMethod=2.0" >>/www.eng/currentsetting.htm

Message 17 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@negan07 wrote:

replacing is not needed

simply type from console:

@negan07 

And where do I type that in to on the iPad? 

I can login ok on the PC via 192.168.0.1 or using http://routerlogin.com/

The problem is the Genie app for ios.

Message 18 of 30
negan07
Tutor

it must be typed through telnet console

Message 19 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@negan07 wrote:

Not very helpful, the telenet console on Windows isn't going to access the Genie app on my iPad/iPhone.

It's the Genie app on the iPad/iPhone that dosen't accept the password not the router.

I can login to the router ok with a browser using the PC or iPad by using 192.168.0.1 or http://routerlogin.com/ so I really don't know what you're on about.

Message 20 of 30
schumaku
Guru

@ukoldgit wrote:

@negan07 wrote:

Not very helpful, the telenet console on Windows isn't going to access the Genie app on my iPad/iPhone.

It's the Genie app on the iPad/iPhone that dosen't accept the password not the router.

Why so negative? It's very helpful in fact, well possible the old default config (not user accessible) does expect an old API/App login method - while newer Apps only support the new method. It's the router denying the login by the App not "just" the App.

@ukoldgit wrote:

I can login to the router ok with a browser using the PC or iPad by using 192.168.0.1 or http://routerlogin.com/ so I really don't know what you're on about.

The login by the Web UI is not affected. The App does use an API on the router.

Message 21 of 30
ukoldgit
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

@ukoldgit wrote:

@negan07 wrote:

Why so negative? It's very helpful in fact, well possible the old default config (not user accessible) does expect an old API/App login method - while newer Apps only support the new method. It's the router denying the login by the App not "just" the App.

@ukoldgit wrote:

The login by the Web UI is not affected. The App does use an API on the router.

Explain this and it might be helpful especially if it's going to allow the app to work on my D7000v1

Message 22 of 30
negan07
Tutor

In other words:

original firmware 1.0.1.70 is not affected because the setting file comes out right

the source package generates the bug because it creates the wrong file with some wrong and missed variables (LoginMethod is essential)

previous versions of the firmware are affected if they don't include LoginMethod var (or maybe the older genie version didn't include it at that time)

to fix ios local login genie on any firmware version

telnet the router ( http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug then use the telnet client of the related device in use )

telnet 192.168.0.1

login: admin

pw: <http_password>

type on console:

should be enough

killall -9 utelnetd

to close the session and telnet daemon

Message 23 of 30
AndyPanda208
Initiate

I am having the EXACT same issue. I downloaded the app for both my iPad and my iPhone and the problem exists on BOTH. THIS IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED. Dozens of people on this same support page are having the SAME problem. Your software is malfunctioning. 

The user name is grayed out with the word "admin" typed in and unchangeable. The page allows you to enter a password that is completely useless because the default does not work. 

You can't call the support line unless you're willing to fork over $49.99 for a single call (that may or may not fix anything). They should charge you ONLY if they can fix the issue.

If someone from Netgear doesn't address this issue here shortly, I will never buy another Netgear product ...... E V E R !!!!!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 30
AndyPanda208
Initiate

Michael: your response was both rude and unhelpful. I'm not tech savy and even I COMPLETELY understood what @ukoldgit was saying. Netgear Genie is defective. It doesn't allow you to login. The username is locked out. Please use your vast knowledge and provide an answer. 

Message 25 of 30
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7