Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 7800 & xfinity

TimSuther
Guide

Nighthawk 7800 & xfinity

My firmware (currently v3.01.43) is not most current. Netgear app indicates that only my ISP (xfinity) can do upgrade. Xfinity, being xfinity, says since they didn't provide router, they can't upgrade firmware. So I'm stuck between netgear and xfinity each saying it's the others problem.

the BIG issue I'm trying to solve its CONSTANT reboots of router (as in frequently every day). This sucks.

netgear, surely I'm not the only person that's experienced this.  How to solve? Can you get xfinity to firmware upgrade?  Or get permission for me or you to do it?

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk 7800 & xfinity

1. per the docsis spec, only the ISP can push the update. Its not something netgear controls. They submit updated firmware to the ISP but they can't force them to update. And they rarely do as it costs the ISP $ to certify devices. And they're very good as saying "its not our fault". Which from the technician's point of view that you talk to, they're correct. But its not something netgear can do. 

2. Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs? That helps check the signal and the logs. 

3. Does it happen at exactly the same time each day? or does it vary?

4. How old is the device?

Message 2 of 11
TimSuther
Guide

Thanks for prompt reply. Device bought in Feb 2021. Instability does not happen at the same time every day, nor at same frequency (some days, like today, 10+ reboots; others might be once a day)

id need to track down cable connections page / event logs. Have never done that before: possible to point me in the right direction?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

when you first log into the router, click on the internet icon on the screen. It'll take you to the cable connections page. Get all that info in a screens shot (might take more than 1)

to get the event logs follow this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-obtain-the-event-logs-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-modem-router

get screen snips as they're easier to read/interpret. 

Message 4 of 11
TimSuther
Guide

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.59.49 PM.pngHere is router log...

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

and the cable connections page? 

Message 6 of 11
TimSuther
Guide

Attached

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

check your line. remove any splittes, amplifiers, or attenuators from the line. 

Check it for kinks, damage, bad/old/corroded/cheap connectors, or loose connectors. Replace any you find. 

then try it. 

Your logs and signal indicate some line issues. 

If that doesn't help, you can have the ISP check the line. 

Message 8 of 11
TimSuther
Guide

Thanks - will do that.

Message 9 of 11
thamantim
Initiate

I too am having the same issues. Cant get a firmware update so on so forth....
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

@thamantim read through the post and see what was discussed, then start your own thread with your info to best help you. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7