Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

We want to continue providing you with new mobile app features for the best WiFi experience. That’s why we’ve decided to focus our efforts on improving the new Nighthawk app. As a result, the Genie app will no longer be updated.

Download the Nighthawk app today to keep your router up-to-date with the latest features and security updates. Check here to see if your WiFi router is supported:https://kb.netgear.com/000055505/Which-routers-support-the-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-app

The NETGEAR Nighthawk app lets you monitor and manage your WiFi from anywhere. Easily pause WiFi, test your internet speeds, or turn on Guest WiFi.

If your router is not supported by the Nighthawk app, don’t worry – you can still use genie app features.

To download the Nighthawk App, visit: Nighthawk-App.com

Message 1 of 242

Pity. In comparison to the genie, the Nighthawk and Orbi apps are seriously underpowered.

Will there be a desktop (Windows/Mac) version of these apps, as there is the genie?

We need something that can handle Powerline hardware now that Netgear has stopped support for its own utility.

Message 2 of 242
schumaku
Guru

What is the offering for the many older models not supporting the Nighthawk App, for the users still relying on LPC (OpenDNS Parental control), ...?

Again - as with earlier attemted phase-out announcements - these questions are still not answered.

Having an eye on the number of weekly new entries in the Genie App community section does speak a clear language. Netgear does not seem to care about the existing wide customer base at all. 

Message 3 of 242
shamarin
Virtuoso

What about desktop Netgear Genie app??? There is no Nighthawk app for Windows or Mac desktops.

Message 4 of 242

@shamarin wrote:

There is no Nighthawk app for Windows or Mac desktops.

I see it as Netgear's dumbing down of the whole process.

I don't object to "apps for idiots", but I'd like something a bit more capable for experienced users.

Message 5 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@shamarin wrote:

There is no Nighthawk app for Windows or Mac desktops.

I see it as Netgear's dumbing down of the whole process.

Remove the last for words ... ups.

Message 6 of 242
NerRaD
Tutor

I logged into Genie today and said I need to utilize NightHawk App. However when I download and log in it said it’s not supported. My Nighthawk Modem/Router is not that old and was quite costly. So what will happen to me?
Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 7 of 242

@NerRaD wrote:
However when I download and log in it said it’s not supported. My Nighthawk Modem/Router is not that old and was quite costly.

Which hardware are we talking about here?

Message 8 of 242
NerRaD
Tutor

AC19000
Message 9 of 242

@NerRaD wrote:
AC19000

AC1900 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. 

AC1900 includes R7300, R7100, R7000, R6900 and others.

Some are certainly Nighthawk App friendly.

Message 10 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward FElloe @NerRaD did talk about a modem/router - so either some Cxxxx or Dxxxx - with zero Nighthawk App support AFAIK.

Message 11 of 242
NerRaD
Tutor

D7000v2
Message 12 of 242
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear, why is it that if someone buys a Netgear product and is forced to create a Netgear account, you then proceed to send numerous spam marketing emails despite the recipient opting out (actually never opting in) and asking you repeatedly to stop? This is an abuse of data.
Message 13 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:
Netgear, why is it that if someone buys a Netgear product and is forced to create a Netgear account, you then proceed to send numerous spam marketing emails despite the recipient opting out (actually never opting in) and asking you repeatedly to stop? This is an abuse of data.

Complete off-topic in the "Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated". Have you received an email indication this?

We have multiple MyNetgear accounts, even on the one where many consumer and business products are registered, we receive almost no directed marketing emails - unless Gmail does put them to Spam immediately. The only email we see come form the Netgear security updates (subscribed), support interactions, Insight and Insight Pro notifications, and from contacts within Netgear.

Either case, something to deal for the NTGR people here @ChristineT  @Christian_R ...

Message 14 of 242
Tremolux66
Initiate

“Pity. In comparison to the genie, the Nighthawk and Orbi apps are seriously underpowered.”

Agreed. The Genie app has a more appealing design, is easier to navigate, and has a much slicker network map. (Compared to the “map” in the Orbi app, I might as well use the LAN scan output list in a generic network app.)
Message 15 of 242
Marskings64
Aspirant

Team,
Based on your communication, you will not be supporting the Router C3600. Which model do you recommend to upgrade to that is equivalenr to the C3600? I don't play video games, but I do work from home and the company that I worl for requires me to have a router.
Thanks in advance.
Message 16 of 242

@Marskings64 wrote:
....you will not be supporting the Router C3600.

Not sure who "you" is, most of us are fellow users, or even what you mean by "supporting",  unless you mean the genie, but a general piece of advice is that it can help to separate the modem and router.

I can't see any C3600 in the Netgear system. Perhaps you mean C6300.

Whatever, the CMXXX devices are "modem only". No router. Pair one with a decent router and you have a more versatile setup.

Netgear puts more effort into keeping routers up to date. Bigger market. And ISPs prevent makers of cable modems from providing firmware updates that users can apply. The ISP rarely, if ever, put out updates for user's modems. They probably want you to rent one from them.

This is probably less important for a cable modem. Once set up, that's it. The router can handle the rest.

Modem only devices are not that expensive, so the hit on your wallet does not have to be massive.

One option that you could try as an intermediate step would be to buy a new router and to put the C6300 into modem only mode.

There is a support for the C6300, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C6300 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Change the Router Mode. Buy a router that comes with the support you want, and away you go.

Message 17 of 242
schumaku
Guru

...and of course, for the Nighthawk App Netgear has presetned plenty of features at CES2019 which are still not available at all.

Message 18 of 242
C7000
Initiate

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

Netgear Genie apps is not showing data, not refreshing.

My model is not supported by nighthawk app.

What shall I do now??
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 19 of 242

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

It seems the new app has less functionality than genie. I do have the latest firmware installed.

The apps are on my iPhone and Samsung tablet also with all the latest updates.

Where do I find the option to turn on the guest account within the new app?  I don't need guest account all the time and genie was easy to use.

Where is ready share in the new app? Or the mymedia function and turbo transfer?

Genie was great, easy to use and worked.

So far I haven't been able to find any answers in either support or forums.  I have found very pretty feature sheets from netgear and about 1/3 of them dont seem to be available in the new app & I've gone throughout the new app.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 20 of 242

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

It should still work.

If Netgear does not update the genie, then it will not get overwritten by a new "crippled" version.

After all, Ntegear's threat/promise is that it will not update the genie, not that it will disable it.

Message 21 of 242

@michaelkenward wrote:

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

It should still work.

If Netgear does not update the genie, then it will not get overwritten by a new "crippled" version.

After all, Ntegear's threat/promise is that it will not update the genie, not that it will disable it.

Thank you, appreciate the quick response.  Since I only want to use one app, I will continue using Genie for the time being as it is working.  Will check on the Nighthawk app once in awhile to see if it finally meets my needs.

Message 22 of 242

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

It should still work.

Thank you, appreciate the quick response.  Since I only want to use one app, I will continue using Genie for the time being as it is working.  Will check on the Nighthawk app once in awhile to see if it finally meets my needs.

Well now I have a frustrating update.  I guess support heard my complaint and took some action.  The genie app is now disabled on my Samsung tablet - I  can no longer login, it flips to a page saying genie no longer supports my router and I have to upgrade to nighthawk.  All fine and dandy except i know that the nighthawk does not work properly.

I went to my desktop and logged into my router and turned on the guest account and yep, it.still doesn't show the option for guest account or that the guest account is active on the Android nighthawk app.

At least for now Genie is still working on my iPhone. Dont know how quickly they'll disable the iOS Genie app too.   And the Nighthawk app on the iPhone also does not show that the guest account is active under wifi settings or wifi networks. 

Though under Device Manager, when showing all my connected devices, it does list a device connected to the guest network but doesn't show the SSID that I set up for the guest network.

So I'll probably end up using the browser version and delete the mobile app on both devices..  Thanks for listening to this long diatribe.  If support is listening, maybe the nighthawk app will get fixed.

I'll keep you posted with any future positive changes.

Message 23 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

The genie app is now disabled on my Samsung tablet - I  can no longer login, it flips to a page saying genie no longer supports my router and I have to upgrade to nighthawk.

AFAIK there isa notification, intended to be shown just once.

Doubt anything was disabled, much more likely you hit some other limitations - well possible you had multiple clients and/or multiple Apps from the same device concurrently accessing the same router - and the message is simply wrong.  

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

All fine and dandy except i know that the nighthawk does not work properly.

Yes, plenty of interoperability issues between what is supposed to be a unique API on the many different models.

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

I went to my desktop and logged into my router and turned on the guest account and yep, it.still doesn't show the option for guest account or that the guest account is active on the Android nighthawk app.

We could extend the list almost towards a never ending story - the Attached Device list alone is a big hit and miss, too.

Message 24 of 242

@schumaku wrote:

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

The genie app is now disabled on my Samsung tablet - I  can no longer login, it flips to a page saying genie no longer supports my router and I have to upgrade to nighthawk.

AFAIK there isa notification, intended to be shown just once.

##Just won't let me log into router. Every time I try to log in I get the announcement shown in the attached screenshot.  So I can't get past the login screen.

And I did uninstall both apps thinking the same thing as you mentioned below. And reinstalled only the Genie app and no change.  So far the Genie app is working fine on my iPhone.

Doubt anything was disabled, much more likely you hit some other limitations - well possible you had multiple clients and/or multiple Apps from the same device concurrently accessing the same router - and the message is simply wrong.  

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

All fine and dandy except i know that the nighthawk does not work properly.

Yes, plenty of interoperability issues between what is supposed to be a unique API on the many different models.

@alwaysafriend2 wrote:

We could extend the list almost towards a never ending story - the Attached Device list alone is a big hit and miss, too.

##Thank you. Also I forgot to add that after activating the Guest account, that it also does not appear as an active wireless wifi network using the new nighthawk app on the iPhone.  Both apps are installed on my iPhone without any apparent conflicts.

The one thing I do like about the nighthawk app is the added security of  the 2 step verification under account management.

It also allows the option to login with Facebook- which for me is never

Message 25 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7