Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

Betreff: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@Olafsky wrote:

Hope to see upgrades soon...

Indeed. The current inversion misses many of the features touted in the breathless Nighthawk video from CES.

Quite what possessed Netgear to kill the Genie before the Nighthawk apps were ready is baffling.

Message 51 of 242
schumaku
Guru

Betreff: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Olafsky wrote:
Hope to see upgrades soon...

Indeed. The current inversion misses many of the features touted in the breathless Nighthawk video from CES.

Much more is missing and broken. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

Quite what possessed Netgear to kill the Genie before the Nighthawk apps were ready is baffling.

They tried to kill Genie App long before already - remember when posting new entries to the Genie community section was completely locked? The Nighthawk App wasn't ready back then. Today neither the Nighthawk App nor the various router firmwares are. A wonderful example on how to ruin the Netgear brand value!

Message 52 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

It really is a stunning failure. I wonder what specifically caused them to make this choice? Some licensing deal or developer cost as there is still the desk top version that works. Just the app was killed. The response from there support team gave no mention of when it will be updated. Just that you can use the desk top version for the forseeable future. If a product went to the consumer with these issues at my company there would be blood on the walls...
Message 53 of 242
Enigmabob
Initiate

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

A month on and still no ability to log into the Genie App, and the Nighthawk App is woefully inadequate. Where is my network map, where is the real-time bandwidth monitor etc etc etc. This downgrade has taken away many of the features that I purchased the router specifically to get.  I will never buy a Netgear product ever again, this is a shameful way to treat your customers.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 54 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

Here are the links they sent me.

You can continue to use the Genie app from your computer.

You can find the downloads here:

PC download: http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe

Mac download: http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/mac/update/NETGEARGenieInstaller.dmg

Message 55 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

A super user on this forum apparently escalated my issue to level 2 tech support and I received a call tonight to trouble shoot the system. Spent an hour and a half with a tech running through everything from top to bottom. Reverted to the previous .18 firmware. Reloaded the app on my S8. Loaded it on my wife S8 and on my son's S5 with the same result. It connects and it shows the toggle buttons to pause individual devices but the buttons do nothing. Updated to the .28 version and reloaded the app again on all devices with the same result. Multiple screen shots were captured and added to my case. Multiple bug reports were run. Config and backup files were captured, zipped and emailed to the support tech. At this point they are going to the engineers to try to recreate the problem on their end to see if they can figure out why it isn't working. I was told it would take a couple of days for them to research the problem but thay now have a comprehensive data set from my case.
Message 56 of 242
Jm23
Aspirant

What happened to parental controls/filter level? Loved that function on the Genie but cannot find on the Nighthawk app.
Message 57 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Jm23 wrote:
What happened to parental controls/filter level?

Live Parental Control does not exist on the Nighthawk App as of writing. Don't be confused with the marketing image you see - the Parental Control on the tile are currenlty related to Circle (where it's available, and if the App does pick up at all - dunno, not using it). 

@Jm23 wrote:
Loved that function on the Genie but cannot find on the Nighthawk app.

How do I configure Live Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router? (retrieved 04 May 2019, 13:00 GMT+0200) says "... We recommend that you use the NETGEAR desktop genie app. ..." For download, head to https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx - skip the Nighthawk and Orbi App nag poop-up - and scroll down to the end, there are downloads links for PC and Mac.

This won't bring back the bypass password capabiity on the iOS and Android devices unfortunately.

We continue to nag on Netgear to bring back LPC to full App functionality! 

Message 58 of 242
Mr-Money-Baggs
Initiate

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

R7800 for now but will be leaving Netgear soon as i find a better replacement since they dropped genie for noghthawk app witch is almost completely useless
Message 59 of 242
Mr-Money-Baggs
Initiate

Im very disappointing what they did the biggest reason i went with the R7800 was the duel 3.0 usb and the genie app what a waist of money and my time since i bought 8 of them for all my offices well not for long going shopping and not netgear
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 60 of 242
Speedys
Initiate

The genius app was quiet good.

This new Nighthawk app is not only underpowered but also not useable for remote maintenance.

So in my opinion a very bad app.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 61 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Speedys wrote:

The genius app was quiet good.

This new Nighthawk app is not only underpowered ...

Can't agree more.

@Speedys wrote:

...but also not useable for remote maintenance.

Hm, works remotely within the limited functionality, isn't it?.

Message 62 of 242
MattMatt
Star

GENIE DISABLED.  WHY.  It worked perfectly fine.  I naievely allowed it to update and despite that it worked fine (and still works fine on my old Android phone) I am no longer allowed to access the same functions I was previously thanks to the dumbed down app you've forced me to use.  Netgear I've used your products for decades.  This is very, very frustrating.  I don't care about new features, my router is old, out of warranty, and is not being updated with the exception of security updates.  Please restore the Genie app; there were many of us that were quite happy with it AND ITS STILL COMPATIBLE.

Or at least realize that there are functions in the app that we still want and migrate those to the Nighthawk app.

Message 63 of 242
TimeLord43
Initiate

If the Genie app is no longer going to be supported, and the Nighthawk App is not going to support the "Nighthawk" R7300 (ironic the router name is also Nighthawk), then why should I continue to use Netgear? Also when can we expect a Windows 10 Nighthawk app if I do decide to stick with Netgear?

Model: R7300DST|AC1900 DST Router and DST Adapter
Message 64 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@TimeLord43 wrote:

If the Genie app is no longer going to be supported, and the Nighthawk App is not going to support the "Nighthawk" R7300 ...

Genie continues to be available and supported for the routers not supported by the Nighthawk App. It appears Netgear has blocked slightly to many models in the Genie App why ever - has Genie refused to work with your R7300? Sorry, I've lost the track...

Message 65 of 242
CliffBen
Aspirant

My router is DGND3300v2.. not supported in the new app.. my problem though is that i cAnt login anymore using the app genie. You did say you wont update it anymore however i cant use the app anymore because i cant login. I get the error “router was not found or not supported”... what shall i do?
Message 66 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@CliffBen wrote:
My router is DGND3300v2.. not supported in the new app.. my problem though is that i cAnt login anymore using the app genie.

Not convinced this router was ever intended to be supported by the Genie App...? https://kb.netgear.com/24686/Which-NETGEAR-home-router-models-can-I-manage-using-the-NETGEAR-genie-a...

Message 67 of 242
CliffBen
Aspirant

DGND3300v2 is on the list. It used to work.
Message 68 of 242

DGND3300v2 dates back to August 2010.

The V1 original is even older. So a good chance that it is genie-less. None of the manuals mention genies.

The technical specifications are almost 20th century. According to Netgear's manual for this device, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. No 5 GHz wifi.

But if it still does the job, and you don't mind possible security issues, there hasn't been a firmware update since 2012, stick with it but use the browser graphical user interface to manage it.

Message 69 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@CliffBen wrote:
DGND3300v2 is on the list. It used to work.

I understand that it used to work, but must admit I really can't find it on the list above, unless my glasses need a major cleaning.... 

Genie - Supported DSL Modem Gateways.PNG 

Message 70 of 242
BillR5
Aspirant

1. MODERATOR - Please clarify/correct the original post.  "App" is very ambigous.  WHICH "app(s)" is(are) discontinued -- Android? iOS? Windows? Etc. Which will continue to be available and updated?   

2. So my oh-so-ancient-(not)  R6700 (implicit v1) is not on supported list!  

3. Windows 10 Desktop Genie BUG - v2.4.60 - Incorrectly reported router update status as up to date (with 1.0.1.36 installed; but 1.0.2.6 is actually available).  Tried several times yesterday after updating to Genie v2.4.60 and also before updating (maybe v2.4.40?) several times yesterday.  Also checkedmultiple times over last ~1 1/2  years with still earlier desktop Genie version(s).  ALWAYS said firmware was current (at 1.0.1.36) even though it wasn't.  Online Genie correctly said firmware was outdated -- although it should have said "woefully outdated" as several critical flaws were reported and patched.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 71 of 242

@BillR5 wrote:

3. Windows 10 Desktop Genie BUG - v2.4.60 - Incorrectly reported router update status as up to date (with 1.0.1.36 installed; but 1.0.2.6 is actually available). 

The "update check" error is not unique to the genie and can also happen in the browser interface. This is not the most reliable way of determining that you have the latest firmware.

There seem to be two processes in distributing new firmware.

The support pages for a device often get new firmware first. It will then roll out to the update server, which delivers to users over FTP.

Sometimes there are even "hotfix" updates that take time to get into the firmware library.

Experienced users prefer to download from the support pages and install manually. This gives them more control over the process.

The delay between support/server can be days. Sometimes they cook up new firmware that has to be applied with a manual update.

From time to time Netgear sends email alerts to alert users to new firmware. The main result of those emails is to provoke a flurry of messages here asking if the messages are genuine!

Message 72 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@BillR5 wrote:

That's interesting, considering the R6700 (v1) is mainly a stripped-down R7000 for a specific sales channel (Best Buy), so supporting it should not be difficult. 

Many users would be happy that their router would remain supported by the Genie App - instead of being forced to the Nighthawk App.

Message 73 of 242
BillR5
Aspirant

Thanks for the insight:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@BillR5 wrote:

3. Windows 10 Desktop Genie BUG - v2.4.60 - Incorrectly reported router update status as up to date (with 1.0.1.36 installed; but 1.0.2.6 is actually available). 

The "update check" error is not unique to the genie and can also happen in the browser interface. This is not the most reliable way of determining that you have the latest firmware.

. . .

Experienced users prefer to download from the support pages and install manually. This gives them more control over the process.

The delay between support/server can be days. . . .

Or weeks, months, a year, although perhaps something else actually happened as Windows desktop Genie app failed to note 4(?) router updates despite being itself updated a few times.  I relied on Genie (i.e., not an "experienced user") and Netgear.  Bugs happen but this seems more like a policy decision to ignore a long term, well known problem -- and also to not disclose.  Misleading squared.

Message 74 of 242
BillR5
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@BillR5 wrote:

That's interesting, considering the R6700 (v1) is mainly a stripped-down R7000 for a specific sales channel (Best Buy), so supporting it should not be difficult. 

Many users would be happy that their router would remain supported by the Genie App - instead of being forced to the Nighthawk App.

Costco in my case.  I, too, was surprised v1 wasn't on the list for similar reasons.  I should have appended "for worse or better <grin>." 

Message 75 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7