Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

ElReg
Tutor

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

Hi Dustin,

I have replaced my router with a XR700.

I am using the Nighthawk app (as I was with the pevious one as well but the old one was no longer supported by Nighthawk).

I can check the Internet Speed, Traffic Meter and Settings but nothing shows on Device Manager and Network Map.

My router is supported by Nighthawk.

This happens whether connected locally or remotely.

Netgear Genie is still vey reliable no trouble displaying the Network Map.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 76 of 242
Tarpon1043
Tutor

I just bought this Nighthawk AC 1900 C7000-100 NAS modem router combo in May 2019. Had the same problem that I was told the genie app is outdated and I should use the night hawk app. After installing that app, it said it was not compatible with my device. So what is compatible? Genie app says it can’t remotely control my device. I would like to be able to do this. Please add this option.
Message 77 of 242

It probably doesn't help, but six months or so ago someone posted a link to a truly dire video of a Netgear techie showing off the shiny new version of the Nighthawk App. He demonstrated a number of neat features that have yet to appear in the official version..

My guess is that there is a "roadmap" somewhere out there that tells the Netgear people what we will eventually see in the app. Sadly, they aren't likely to share that with us.

As with all of these things, it is highly likely that it is taking a lot longer than expected to get these things to work. At the moment progress seems to be excruciatingly slow. It probably doesn't help that they are trying to get it to work on so many devices.

A sensible company would have left the genie apps alone until it had got the alternative ready. Instead, we have an army of unhappy punters.

Message 78 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Tarpon1043 wrote:
I just bought this Nighthawk AC 1900 C7000-100 NAS modem router combo in May 2019. 

No Netgear Nighthawk cable modem or modem/router combo (Cnnnn) is curently supported by the Nighthawk App -> Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app?

@Tarpon1043 wrote:
Had the same problem that I was told the genie app is outdated and I should use the night hawk app. After installing that app, it said it was not compatible with my device. So what is compatible? 

Not sure where/how you have been told to use the Nighthawk App. The Netgear Genie App continues to work with your device, isn't it?

@Tarpon1043 wrote:
Genie app says it can’t remotely control my device. I would like to be able to do this. Please add this option.

Looks like the Genie App does continue working 8-)

The Genie App based Remote Administration is a feature not available on your C7000-100NAS (not a part of the product, not in the data sheet, not in the documentation), and not a limitation of the Genie App. 

You might want to use the Web based Remote Manageent instead - NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7000 User Manual, p.91 ff. To easily "find" your router public IP, it's suggested to configure Dynamic DNS (p.89 ff.).

Message 79 of 242

@Tarpon1043 wrote:
I just bought this Nighthawk AC 1900 C7000-100 NAS modem router combo in May 2019. Had the same problem that I was told the genie app is outdated and I should use the night hawk app.

One small benefit of having a cable modem/router is that Netgear has no control over the firmware on it. Your Internet service provider has to do that. In reality, this almost never happens.

Netgear has to update the firmware on a router to enable/disable compatibility with apps.

In other words, Netgear cannot easily disable the Netgear genie app on a cable modem/router.

Message 80 of 242
leigin
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 stops working with Genie app! We can't set or reset device level parental controls any more, no matter in smartphone app or desktop website. What a shame!

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 81 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@leigin wrote:

Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 stops working with Genie app! We can't set or reset device level parental controls any more, no matter in smartphone app or desktop website.

The only workaround available - the router Web UI never had the device level Parental controls AFAIK - are the Genie programs for Windows and MacOS for the moment. Needless to say, the R7500 and R7500v5 should continue to allow the Genie App ... more Netgear bugware ... Zzzzz @Christian_R 

Message 82 of 242
leigin
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. It seems I can't *fully* connect to my R7500v2 from Windoes desktop Genie app:

- Genie desktop app still load

- Wehn click "Network Map", it will prompt from "Router login" window, but it won't accept my username/password even though I double check it is correct.

- After I have to cancel the "Router Login" window, then the Network Map show my home network devices

- But when I right click on each device, then click "detaisl" button, it popup a detail window Without the "Parental controls filtering" which used to be there...

So, basically, I can't modify device level parental controls even in Windows Genie app.

Message 83 of 242
schumaku
Guru

Not nice - however these desktop Genie programs have not changed for a longer time now, and it is supposed to be workable. LPC is enabled? @Christian_R please.

Message 84 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

At first I was excited when this issue received a direct response from Netgear and their customer service team reached out to me based on this community message. That excitement has waned. Their first and second contact were hour long sessions trouble shooting the device, trying different firmware sets and capturing logs and config files. This was sent to their engineers to try to determine what the problem is. After their third contact the problem is obvious. Their engineers are just not very good.

Their service rep, the same one from all 3 sessions, contacted me with the 'reason' for the problem, "the reason the app doesn't work is because your R8000 is in AP mode ". My response was "are you kidding, this must be a joke as it has always been in AP mode add you could control it with the Genie app when it was in AP mode and I can still control it with the desktop software... while in AP mode". Oh she said... Well that is good feedback I will pass on to the engineers.

I think it is time to face the fact they simply don't know what they are doing and are not up to the task of writing effective code to control their own devices.

A sad and pathetic response to a failure of their own creation.
Message 85 of 242

@Donmckinney wrote:
Their service rep, the same one from all 3 sessions, contacted me with the 'reason' for the problem, "the reason the app doesn't work is because your R8000 is in AP mode ". My response was "are you kidding, this must be a joke as it has always been in AP mode add you could control it with the Genie app when it was in AP mode and I can still control it with the desktop software... while in AP mode". Oh she said... Well that is good feedback I will pass on to the engineers.

Yes. They should have spotted the AP mode thing when they were in charge of your device with remote control, but, to be fair to them (and why should you?), the R8000 is a router. These normally work as routers. You have to work at getting them into AP mode. Perhaps they expected you to tell them that.

Maybe they also expected you to be aware to fhis warning when you started trying to achieve the impossible.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Strangely, the "is it in AP mode?" question crops up a lot less here than it does in the Orbi group, where it is much more common to use routers in AP mode.

Message 86 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward being a non-native English human - I can't find any indication in the referred KB entry stating the Nighthawk App should not be able to connect in AP mode. 

Message 87 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

They were absolutely aware in both testing sessions that my router was set up in AP mode as we specifically discussed it at length. That was what made that statement even more stunning and sad. It was like talking to my dad who can't figure out why the picture on his TV doesn't fill the screen. Then I remind him for the 23rd time to stop selecting SD channels from the guide. The obvious escapes them. How were these people able create the programming for these devices yet they can't get the app code right to control them? Baffling... Maybe the one good coder they had left the company and the bureaucrats that neither appreciated his work or ability are standing around poking at the computer with sticks wondering why nothing works...
Message 88 of 242
Tarpon1043
Tutor

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

Thank you for the explanation, michaelkenward

Message 89 of 242
Tarpon1043
Tutor

Thank you for the explanation, michaelkenward

Message 90 of 242
Tarpon1043
Tutor

Thanks for your response schumaku.  When I go to neatgear.com/genie, as directed on page 14 in my "router quick start manual," I'm redirected to a page that says "out with the old, in with the new," and it lists the netgear nighthawk app instead of the genie app.  I installed the nighthawk app to find out that it says it does not work with my router, which seems odd since the router has nighthawk in the name.  Through the app store, I located the genie app and tried that next, even though it says it will no longer be supported, which to me sounds like it won't work well, since it's not a priority.   

I chose this modem/router combo for simplicity since my parents will only need to reset one device if there is a problem.  I also chose it based off what my cable provider says is compatible.  I wasn't looking for remote access to the device, because I didn't know that existed, but after reading through the set up manual and seeing that it does exist, I was really surprised to find that a brand new modem that had high ratings and is supposed to be of better quality, didn't provide this access.  It could be helpful to me if my parents are having problems with the Internet so I could remotely help them since I live a few states away.  

I'll look into the Web based Remote Management link you provided.  Thank you.   
Message 91 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Tarpon1043 wrote:

When I go to neatgear.com/genie, as directed on page 14 in my "router quick start manual," I'm redirected to a page that says "out with the old, in with the new," and it lists the netgear nighthawk app instead of the genie app. 

It's not a redirect, but a much to intrusive overlay, which can be clicked away using the [x] top right. Complete **** marketing!

Negear HCP is a mystery to me, they have lost the ground contact, e.g. to their customers in the field, represented by the people like you hitting walls and poor people like us - just Netgear customers, too - which are trying to help.

Edit: And the Nightmare(C) continues ... reading this in the Apple and Andoird stores:

===

*Note:

Please download the NETGEAR Nighthawk App for all NETGEAR WiFi routers [except WNDR3400, WNR2000 or older router models].
===
...clealry misleading when it comes to Nigthhawk DSL WiFi Routers, Nighthawk WiFi Cable Modem/Routers, and clearly _wrong_ as several Nighthawk WiFi routers are still not supported. @Dustin_V 

Message 92 of 242
BillR5
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Yes. They should have spotted the AP mode thing when they were in charge of your device with remote control, but, to be fair to them (and why should you?), the R8000 is a router. These normally work as routers. You have to work at getting them into AP mode. Perhaps they expected you to tell them that.

Maybe they also expected you to be aware to fhis warning when you started trying to achieve the impossible.

Strangely, the "is it in AP mode?" question crops up a lot less here than it does in the Orbi group, where it is much more common to use routers in AP mode.

Interesting long list of disabled features.  I wonder if it is dated?  Only applies to some unspecified set of routers?  Depends on firmware version?  Depends on control software (e.g., Windows Genie versus Android Nighthawk app)?

My R6700 (implicit v1) is in AP mode behind a FIOS gateway router but the R6700 has two guest wireless networks (2.4 and 5).

Message 93 of 242

@BillR5 wrote:

Interesting long list of disabled features.  I wonder if it is dated?  Only applies to some unspecified set of routers?  Depends on firmware version?  Depends on control software (e.g., Windows Genie versus Android Nighthawk app)?

That would not surprise me. Those articles are a mess and mostly out of date.

Message 94 of 242
Lertique
Aspirant

If you have an older modem you can download the new app. That one will tell you it does not work with your model and give you two options. I can’t remember what exactly it said but I clicked the second option. That took me to the web and sent my info “securely” to a place we’re I could answer my two security questions. I happened to remember both and it gave me my password to the genie app! I logged in and it is working.
Message 95 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@BillR5 wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Interesting long list of disabled features.  I wonder if it is dated? 

Looks like up2date to me.

@BillR5 wrote:

Only applies to some unspecified set of routers? 

Complete list of models is shown - see the "This article applies to" - this might be a slightly variable target.

@BillR5 wrote:

Depends on firmware version?  Depends on control software (e.g., Windows Genie versus Android Nighthawk app)?

No, features not available on the routers operating in AP mode in general.

@BillR5 wrote:

My R6700 (implicit v1) is in AP mode behind a FIOS gateway router but the R6700 has two guest wireless networks (2.4 and 5).

So your R6700(v1) does allow configuring and enabling the Guest network features - connecting to the very same LAN, no additional "controls" - in AP mode (not in a router mode with some "features" like DHCP disabled). Hmpf. In short: Must be a bug. In long: Netgear HCP - nothing is impossible.

Message 96 of 242
Ricbrick88
Tutor

So if we have this model I just spent 200 for something that doesn’t work for your old app or new app?
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 97 of 242
Ricbrick88
Tutor

Same exact problem
Message 98 of 242
SaintOnLine419
Aspirant

I had a update then to my R6920 in the updating haven't stopped yet it's still been going on for hours and I can't get the router to reboot yourself it's just blinking off and on a side no more updates for Netgear genie Trident contact support there's nothing
Model: R6020|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 99 of 242

@Ricbrick88 wrote:
So if we have this model I just spent 200 for something that doesn’t work for your old app or new app?

I don't understand. You have a C7000 (which hardware version?) and you want an app to manage it on your portable device?

What device do you want an app for? Android? iThing?

Have you tried using the Netgear genie for that device?

The message that started this discussion refers to an announcement that the app "Will No Longer Be Updated". It should continue to work on older devices.

In the case of the C7000, there is nothing that Netgear can do to update the firmware on your modem/router that will cripple the older genie.

The older desktop genie also still works.

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Message 100 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7