Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where's Can anyone tell me how to get to the Netgear Genie??

DHAegis
Aspirant

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@shumaku “While I agree the Netgear communication as well as the router firmware and App quality is baldy suffering, there is no need to fall into an apocalyptic mood.”

Hi. No idea if you work for Netgear or not. Either way, no need to call out customer dissatisfaction and extreme disappointment as ‘falling into an apocalyptic mood’. That’s rather dismissive, don’t you think?
Message 126 of 242

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@DHAegis wrote:
Hi. No idea if you work for Netgear or not.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netghear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

@DHAegis wrote:
....no need to call out customer dissatisfaction and extreme disappointment as ‘falling into an apocalyptic mood’. That’s rather dismissive, don’t you think?

Go back to the message that contained that statement:

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Up... - Page 5 - NETGEAR Communities

Read what it was responding to.

Seems pretty apocalyptic to me, especially when it was a response to someone who doesn't seem to understand what is going on.

If your device does not support the Nighthawk app, think yourself lucky. It means that you can still use the genie.

Message 127 of 242
rhemmerson
Aspirant

I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop and now I want to reinstall Genie but the only options are for Android and Apple.  I do not want to manage my network via smartphone.  Is there a way to continue to use Windows or do I need to find another router company?

Message 128 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

You can continue to use the Genie app from your computer.

You can find the downloads here:

PC download: http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe

Mac download: http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/mac/update/NETGEARGenieInstaller.dmg
Message 129 of 242

Or go the genie landing page.

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

The just dismiss the intrusive pop up.

Alternatively, visit the support pages for your hardware:

Support | NETGEAR

feed in the model number and find all the documentation and software downloads for your hardware.

Message 130 of 242
KK1024
Aspirant

Where's Can anyone tell me how to get to the Netgear Genie??

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Netgear Genie now? I DO NOT want to manage my router from a phone app - less secure and really? a tiny screen to manage this kind of stuff? 

Bad call, Netgear.

Model: C6220|DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 131 of 242
TrainerSK
Aspirant

For some reason the Nighthawk app says my C7000 isn't supported....

Thank you for your help

Silvio
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 132 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@TrainerSK wrote:
For some reason the Nighthawk app says my C7000 isn't supported....

Because it is indeed not supported, and the Genie App continues to work for your C7000! As explained many times in this thread before. Why do you think the Nighthawk App should work with your C7000?

Message 133 of 242

Re: Where's Can anyone tell me how to get to the Netgear Genie??

@KK1024 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to get to the Netgear Genie now?

Which genie do you have in mind?

The desktop genie is where it has always hidden itself away:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Dismiss any annoying popups that try to force apps on you.

It may also be linked from the support pages for your particular hardware:

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find documentation and software for your hardware.

Message 134 of 242

@schumaku wrote:

Why do you think the Nighthawk App should work with your C7000?

One way to check which devices work with the Nighthawk app is to look at the list of devices supported by the Netgear genie.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

If your device is on that list, it will not work with the Nighthawk app.

For many users, they can then breathe a sigh of relief and carry on with the Nighthawk app.

Message 135 of 242
Ground0Cover
Aspirant

Wow, having problems with Genie on my computer.  Come here to find out a year earlier or so Genie was being phased out?  Did the NETGEAR send out notifications on this change over like maybe on a quarterly basis? If not, were users supposed to dial 1-900 psychic ( pardon my technical fatigue) by some form of quantum telepathy?

I am just curious, apparently I missed something. Do you need to reply to this? NO, not really, I am just posting my repsonse to Netgear's behavioral stance of  creating annoyance, likely coming from my sigh of having to get a cell phone that can use more crap from the technical spaghetti monster.  At least the notice was place in the community

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 136 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Ground0Cover wrote:

Wow, having problems with Genie on my computer. 

The Genie desktop programs (for Windows and MacOS) continue to work with the supported Nighthawk App supported routers (certainly the ones where it used to work before) - both work nicely with the R9000 here (resp. curently located remotely on a 4G modem somewhere in the Swiss mountains).

Some psychic power is required anyway - it would not be Netgear - there were some updates released recently, so you might want to keep the Genie desktop program current so you can continue to use the Genie app from your computer.

As per the Genie Landing page (click away the intrusive Nighthawk App pop-up by the top right [x]) you can find the downloads here:

PC download: http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe

Mac download: http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/mac/update/NETGEARGenieInstaller.dmg

Create a new thread in the Genie community section describing your operational issue.

Message 137 of 242
Getrusty
Aspirant

I dont understand how your not with the times having your C7800 router working with the App?  This isnt making sense and feeling lwe stepped back in time buying $375 router.

Message 138 of 242

@Getrusty wrote:

I dont understand how your not with the times having your C7800 router working with the App? 

If by "the App" you mean the Nighthawk app, then you should thank your lucky stars that it does not work with the C7800. The genie app has more features and works with that hardware. The Netgear genie app is a mature product, while the Nighthawk app is "work in progress".

By the way, the C7800 is not a "router", it is a modem/router, which may be one reason why it still supports the genie app.

Modems and routers are different animals.

If you want them to add the C7800 to the Nighthawk, then you should ask for that in the appropriate section.

Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities

Message 139 of 242
NealUser
Aspirant

The decision for Netgear to end-of-life Genie, and no longer support the OpenDNS platform in favor of Circle with Disney has forced me to choose another product.

I specifically always went Netgear because of the capabilities built into Genie and OpenDNS.  I could configure rules in parental controls to block everything between 8:00 PM and 6:00 AM; and then have my wife and own devices configured to no filtering so we could basically set a "bedtime", which Circle with Disney charges you for.

There are other features that were great, and from my perspective the claims made by Netgear on the router box itself are now false.  It boarderline makes me angry.

You provide a feature (Parental Control) through Genie and OpenDNS, that fits 100% of my use cases.  You end-of-life Genie and now point people to Circle with Disney as "free".  The issue is the features built into OpenDNS like building a "bedtime" ARE NOT FREE on Disney.  I'm getting heated just thinking about it.

This is poor business practice and I will never recommend Netgear hardware again.  I'm going Synology from here on out, as they provide fully customizable parental controls at the device level, and it's free.  No selling your soul to another service contract.

It's just sad.

Message 140 of 242

@NealUser wrote:

The decision for Netgear to .... no longer support the OpenDNS platform ....

Where did you read that?

Message 141 of 242
NealUser
Aspirant

I didn't read it anywhere, but Netgear has removed (Genie) the capability to manage the rules between my devices on the network and OpenDNS rules.  I can no longer select which Parental level to apply to each device on the network.  

Unless they decide to add OpenDNS as a parental control option on the NightHawk application, it looks pretty clear to me they want to push people to Circle with Disney.

Message 142 of 242

@NealUser wrote:

I didn't read it anywhere..

I see. Anyone who has followed the development of the Nighthawk app will know that Netgear made all sorts of promises in a truly hopeless staff video earlier this year. That showed various features that have yet to appear. Close followers of the Nighthawk app will tell you that the current version also lacks many other features that were in the Genie.

It is hard to know if these missing features will ever appear, and if so when. But without any real evidence, it would be unwise to run around making definitive statements.

Message 143 of 242
NealUser
Aspirant

I am of no importance to have my "statements" really mean anything to anyone in the Netgear community.

I would love to be proven wrong.  It doesn't really matter to me anymore as I have found another solution in different hardware.  

Thank you for the feedback, and I respect you for being a super user to the community.  Fairwell.

Message 144 of 242
Tom-Tromboni
Tutor

Betreff: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

hello Suport, why is my router D7000 not supported in the Nighthawk app
best regards Tom
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 145 of 242
schumaku
Guru

Betreff: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@Tom-Tromboni wrote:
hello Suport, why is my router D7000 not supported in the Nighthawk app

Hello Tom.

This is not Netgear support here. The D7000 continues to be workable with the Genie App and Genie desktop programs.

Message 146 of 242
Tom-Tromboni
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply
Tom
Message 147 of 242
DKTyork
Aspirant

Months later and still horrible app problems. I just bought an AC1900 C7000v2 and VERY likely to return it and switch brands. Shame+

Message 148 of 242

@DKTyork wrote:

Months later and still horrible app problems. I just bought an AC1900 C7000v2 and VERY likely to return it and switch brands. Shame+

What problems?

On the app front, nothing has changed on modem/routers.

Is that what you meant? Experienced users prefer the genie app to the Nighthawk app, which lacks some features.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 149 of 242
Stanmi
Aspirant

What will replace Airprint as the Genie app grows old and outdated? That's a key feature for why I bought the router?

Also, why can't I print in color through the Genie app to my color printer?

Message 150 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7