Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@Stanmi wrote:

What will replace Airprint as the Genie app grows old and outdated?

What has airprint got to do with the Netgear genie?

Netgear's claims that:

"Nighthawk® App makes any printer AirPrint® compatible"

@Stanmi wrote:

Also, why can't I print in color through the Genie app to my color printer?

If you have a router that supports the Nighthawk App, then something else is going wrong with your printer.

Best stick to the discussion that you also started over here:

Can't print color through Netgear GEnie - NETGEAR Communities

I sense a problem that has nothing to do with this now old and rambling discussion.

The R7900, if that is what you own, no longer supports the mobile genie. Hasn't for some time now.

Message 151 of 242
schumaku
Guru

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Stanmi wrote:

What will replace Airprint as the Genie app grows old and outdated?

What has airprint got to do with the Netgear genie?.

Until reading this thread, I was convinced the AirPrint feature was implemened on the desktop Genie (Windows, MacOS) only.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Netgear's claims that:

"Nighthawk® App makes any printer AirPrint® compatible"

This would be new to me. Considering that neither iOS nor Android allow "real" printer drivers installations - hard to imagine. Any "official" Netgear reference to this marketing blush?

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Stanmi wrote:

Also, why can't I print in color through the Genie app to my color printer?

If you have a router that supports the Nighthawk App, then something else is going wrong with your printer..

Can just guess here. In my understanding they are using with the desktop Genie some Postscript/PCL[x] rendering done e.g. on a desktop Adobe Acrobat, which does then print to the desktop installed printer drivers. And there is no user choice to select b/w or colour. BEtter discuss this in the other thread.

@michaelkenward wrote:

If you have a router that supports the Nighthawk App, then something else is going wrong with your printer.

The R7900, if that is what you own, no longer supports the mobile genie. Hasn't for some time now.

True. However the Windows or MacOS desktop Genie continue to work for now - different from the Genie App. these are not forced to a non-existing Nightawk desktop update.

Message 152 of 242
Harism
Aspirant

I don't care about any app I need access to my usb 3.0 in that. Othewise dont even bother working on it. There are lot of apps in store to manage wifi n/w some of them are really great actually.
Message 153 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Harism wrote:
I don't care about any app I need access to my usb 3.0 in that. 

Folders and files -> ReadyCloud Apps and Web client http://readycloud.netgear.com

Message 154 of 242
MauleGuy
Apprentice

I am totally confused by Netgear!

I received an email suggesting I need to update my R7900 router to v. 1.0.3.14.  After trying to decipher the manual instructions and only getting directed to a beta version for download, I loaded the shiny new Nighthawk app.

I logged into my router via the app and searched for an update and low and behold was told my v. 1.0.3.10 was current and there were no updates available.

Now I have two apps (one on my android phone and one on my iPad) which as far as I can tell only serve to give access to hackers. 

Is there an update or not?????

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 155 of 242

Repeated here:

Re: Nighthawk x6 ac3200 won’t update by app - NETGEAR Communities

Better to start a fresh discussion and not to join in on something six months old on a different topic.

Message 156 of 242
Mattrobx
Aspirant

My route above does not seem to be supported by the new nighthawk app, it also now has an issue with the genie app as this has stopped working just recently coincidentally as you stop providing support for it. How can I get the genie out to work again with my D 7000 nighthawk router?
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 157 of 242

@Mattrobx wrote:
How can I get the genie out to work again with my D 7000 nighthawk router?

Remove it from whatever device it was on and then reinstall it.

Message 158 of 242
Mattrobx
Aspirant

Tried that. Didn’t work.
Message 159 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Mattrobx wrote:
My route above does not seem to be supported by the new nighthawk app, it also now has an issue with the genie app as this has stopped working just recently coincidentally as you stop providing support for it.

You talk here to the community where most members are not Netgear.

The screenshot attached does look like a (working) Genie App to me. Genie App continues to work for routers not supporting the Netgear Nighthawk App - as stated a hundred ties at least already. So what's the fuzz here now?

Message 160 of 242
Mattrobx
Aspirant

If most members are not Netgear, why are you responding?
My issue is the app is not recognising devices connected they just come up as unknown. As per my original post. I’m not able to identify which devices are which. This is the Netgear community I was told to contact for a solution.
Message 161 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Mattrobx wrote:
If most members are not Netgear, why are you responding?

Because of Netgear is unwilling to join this thread.

@Mattrobx wrote:
My issue is the app is not recognising devices connected they just come up as unknown. 

The App does not recognize anything - it's an App talking to some API operating on your D7000 router. The router does mantain a list of Attached Devices (see also the devices WebUI - there is more but just an App!), and this list is supposed to be reflected by the App. Both, the routers Attached Devices as well as the API and/or the App are very much hit an miss features.

@Mattrobx wrote:
As per my original post. I’m not able to identify which devices are which. This is the Netgear community I was told to contact for a solution.

You talk of this thread D7000 — Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router (with the subject fixed here). With all due respect, the Netgear moderators are not up to speed with their information. No idea what @DarrenM wanted to tell you with this helpless attempt pointing you to this thread. The D7000 is not supported by the Nighthawk App (probably never). Netgear does not want to accept that this Attached Device design and implementation in place on many router models is a can of worms.  Netgear does not want to agree that there are many customers which older devices where Genie App must be used. Netgear does not want to agree that even the (sane!) API used for both the Genie and the Nightawk App are another can of worms. Netgear does not want to agree that your D7000(v1) router with the current firmware does probably not properly show the Attached Devices locally, does not provide the same date to the Genie App. And everything they provide is always the pointer to this marketing Nightmare telling that the Genie App will be no longer supported, working, whatever.

Yes, this is a big problem for Netgear's customer base, It does not help selling any newer routers or mesh systems - much more, it does push potential customers away from Netgear. 

You better stick with the original thread, where you have provided some details on firmware and reports on issues with the unknown devices. @DarrenM should help and push this information to their QA (no worry, does not exist or does not know what to test), to their Engineering (here I worry, it appears engineering is overloaded alone with handling "new" products). So all I can do is to try bringing @ChristineT again so she will set some arrows and needles.

I have provided lot of proof and insight why other routrs (e..g the R9000/R8900) does have issues working with the Apps, before Genie, now only Nighthawk - and zero problems were addressed in almost one year.

Now you might understand why I have answered.

PS. My guess? Netgear does try to "sit-out" all problems with all the older and legacy routers, awaiting to declare these EoL along with the then obsolete Genie App.

Message 162 of 242
Radolphson
Aspirant

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 163 of 242

... and?
Message 164 of 242
Mattrobx
Aspirant

Well that’s really helpful.
Message 165 of 242

So, you understood the message from @Radolphson?

Message 166 of 242
Harism
Aspirant

Yes and its working good on ready cloud.
Message 167 of 242
welcme2mywrld
Aspirant

I can’t login with Genie App so what is the other option
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 168 of 242

@welcme2mywrld wrote:
I can’t login with Genie App so what is the other option

Can't login to what? A C7000?

A simple "can’t login" doesn't help us to diagnose what is going on at your end.

If you are using the Android Genie, what happens when you try to login? (The Nighthawk app does not work with cable modems.)

Instead of a mobile app, you can set up your device with a wired connection to your modem/router.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

This will explain how to use a browser to manage your device.

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 169 of 242
Augishere
Aspirant

Please bring the Genie app back, at least it worked.  Nighthawk wont work at all with remote access, wont label or define my devices.  Please just give us Genie back .. or provide service support and update to Nighthawk .. horrible app

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 170 of 242
Mysetdancer
Aspirant

It appears that there is no Windows version of the "new" Nighthawk application.  And since the "Genie" app does not function, and support has been dropped, it leaves me with a decision:  Do I return the router to Amazon, or do I just suffer?   Anyone care to share?

Thanks

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 171 of 242
Mysetdancer
Aspirant

Consider a different router company with more customer-friendly decisions???

Message 172 of 242

@Mysetdancer wrote:

It appears that there is no Windows version of the "new" Nighthawk application.  And since the "Genie" app does not function, and support has been dropped, it leaves me with a decision:  Do I return the router to Amazon, or do I just suffer?   Anyone care to share?

Thanks

There has never been a Windows version of the genie app?

In its wisdom, Netgear calls lots of things the "genie". One is the Android/iThing app for mobile devices, another is the desktop program for Windows and Macs. (Then there is the setup "wizard.)

The "desktop genie" still exists. The former has now been redesigned and relabelled the NIghthawk app.

Many people happily use these two separate programs side by side. One for PCs, the other for mobiles.

Message 173 of 242
MauleGuy
Apprentice

Ok, I don't really give a damn if my adroid is updated.  If the Genie tool for my Windows 10 desktop works that is fine with me.

The Nighthawk app, which I have since removed, tells me that I need to update my firmware, but when I log onto the update check on the direct connection to the router....router login... I am told I am up to date.  Firmware version V1.0.3.10_10.0.38

I am beginning to think the old Saturday Night Live skit line "We are the phone company.  We don't care, we don't have to." fits Netgear pretty well, at least from the home/small business user's perspective.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 174 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

I remember sending these kinds of notes almost a year ago about the total failure of the Nighthawk app after the loss of the Genie app. Face it people it will never work and they don't care. Spent multiple days with tier 3 support running tests capturing logs, sending them info on my system and working directly with their engineering team.
Sorry to break it to you but this is hopeless. Move on...
Message 175 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7