Highlighted

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

@a-brittis wrote:

The Genie application for MacOS is far superior in functionality than the orbi and nighthawk apps for mobile. 

Android too.

@a-brittis wrote:

Nothing like replacing an application with one that has less functionality.

Less functionality for what you and I want to do, but it seems to be a part of a move to add new router firmware with bells and whistles like Circle and Armor. Netgear removed the free Parental Controls from the apps so that they could add these services. Oh, and they removed some other features from routers, because they used up memory needed for these paying services. Unfortunately, we don't get a choice of firmware if we want to keep up to date.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 201 of 215
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

Why on earth would you get rid of a desktop in favor of a phone app that doesn't work well at all.  Not to mention that our phones are constantly monitored and less secure.  Why would I want to use that?  Some of us still prefer to use our PC's where we have more control and security.

And why is Genie still available for iOS?  Why one and not the other?

I will be looking for a new router (not Netgear).  It's a shame too becuase I just purchased a Netgear WiFi Extender and 8-port switch.  I guess you'll be seeing them on eBay soon.

NOT happy at all.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 202 of 215
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

NO SUPPORT ANY LONGER FOR PARENTAL CONTROLS - why ??  genie worked great, and you "upgrade" the app by trashing the service and leaving us with a $%^&ty app.  Last purchase from me. 

Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 203 of 215
Highlighted

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@Smoh wrote:

NO SUPPORT ANY LONGER FOR PARENTAL CONTROLS - why ??  genie worked great, and you "upgrade" the app by trashing the service and leaving us with a $%^&ty app.  Last purchase from me. 

Use a browser. That still works. Many people prefer it.

Start here:

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Or the desktop genie.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 204 of 215
Highlighted
Aspirant

desktop genie is officially dead 

Message 205 of 215
Highlighted

@Nillabraz wrote:

desktop genie is officially dead 

Where did you read that?

This discussion is about the mobile app version for Androids and iOS.

The desktop software for Windows and Macs is here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

The latest minor update for that was sometime in the middle of last year.

Just another user.

Message 206 of 215
Highlighted
Tutor

that link redirects to a nighthawk landing page, sadly genie is nowhere to be downloaded on an updated system, bummer, since it did have really nice parental controls that are nowhere to be found in nighthawk

Message 207 of 215
Highlighted
Guru

@Smoh wrote:

that link redirects to a nighthawk landing page,

No, this is just a pop-up - there is a [X] top right to close it...

@Smoh wrote:

sadly genie is nowhere to be downloaded on an updated system, bummer, since it did have really nice parental controls that are nowhere to be found in nighthawk

...it's on the page below the pop-up, near to the end as "DOWNLOAD PC" and "DOWNLOAD Mac".

Message 208 of 215
Highlighted
Tutor

yes, for me those downloads are for nighthawk, not genie

Message 209 of 215
Highlighted
Guru

Read my reply again - line by line.

Message 210 of 215
Highlighted
Tutor

thanks for the helpful reply, i re-read, and the download links you mentioned after dropping the pop up still don't work, are you are referring to me being in the wrong thread ?  genie android app and genie on osx had great parental controls is all, if you have a cool way to install them i'd love to hear, but the links you pointed to don't allow a genie download for me.

Message 211 of 215
Highlighted
Guru

Sorry @Smoh  ... bad explanation probably. let's try with pictures.

Genie download 1.PNGGenie download 2.PNG

Genie download 3.PNG

Better now?

Message 212 of 215
Highlighted
Initiate

For many years I have worked with the Genie Android app to set parental controls for individual devices on the network. The Nighthawk app doesn't allow this, neither does the opendns website you can log on to from the router Admin pages. You can't set individual devices' control levels in any other way (maybe desktop Genie allows it, but am using Linux). The latest Genie app from Playstore v3.1.78 doesn't allow you to connect. It says router software doesn't support Genie, switch to Nighthawk, and it just refuses to connect. But imho it's the app that simply shows a popup and blocks the connection. However v3.1.74 of the Genie app for Android still just works as it did before (tested on router R6220 firmware level 1.1.0.86). I't still available on e.g. APKmirror.com search for "netgear genie" and make sure you don't upgrade the app to v3.1.78 (switch off automatic upgrade in the play store for this app).

So it's possible to keep the old setup working. I can understand Genie cannot be maintained eternally. But if Netgear would just make it easier for users to keep the latest apps working and easily available and point users in the right direction, instead of making it pretty akward like they do now, they would raise their esteem considerably. I spent way more time on this than I would have liked, and it's a complete waste of time. Netgear I expect you to do a better job. You make good gear but don't disappoint your customers because they will not buy your products again. Just "update" the Genie app on Playstore back to the 3.1.74 version.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 213 of 215
Highlighted
Guru

@Joost-99 wrote:

The Nighthawk app doesn't allow this, neither does the opendns website you can log on to from the router Admin pages. You can't set individual devices' control levels in any other way (maybe desktop Genie allows it, but am using Linux).

This is perfectly right. Also the bypass capability isn't available without the App... And no, the Genie Desktop doen't have these controls by device, too.

Message 214 of 215
Highlighted
Tutor

This exactly!
Message 215 of 215
Top Contributors
Announcements