Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

schumaku
Guru

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@Samedh Mike, fully with you. FWIW, I was talking on the Genie Web UI - not of the desktop program. Yes, the phase-out or EoL communication was ******, I prefer not to say it here. This applies to both the OpenDNS based lPC (Live Parental Control) and the demise of the App. Complete bummer was when some Harward style heroes (thank you @Ughbug27 - how right you are!) realized that they need more ressources (Flash, memory) on seveveral key models, so they decided to remove the Genie App "backend" among with various other more or less useful features - again without any schedule and almost no warning time.

@Ughbug27 brilliant on the point!

Message 226 of 242
KristalVoyyd
Aspirant

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

What do I do now.... Genie says I have to use the new app. New app says my device isn't supported. What a tangled web you've weaved! I can use neither and I need to update my router info!
Message 227 of 242

@KristalVoyyd wrote:
What do I do now.... Genie says I have to use the new app. New app says my device isn't supported. What a tangled web you've weaved! I can use neither and I need to update my router info!

A good start would be to create your own message that tells people what devices you have and what you are trying to do with them.

Tagging on to the end of a long running and rambling conversation isn't going to get you very far.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

That is there for a good reason.

In the meantime, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

Message 228 of 242
MauleGuy
Apprentice

Krystal;

If you are using a desktop or laptop, connect your router to the computer with an ethernet cable and use the "routerlogin"  The username "admin" and password "password" are default, but should the the same as what you changed them to via Genie.  This way you can log into without dealing with either Genie or the Nighthawk app. 

If you are only able to log in with WiFi, I have no answers.

Message 229 of 242
MauleGuy
Apprentice

ADDENDUM TO ABOVE:

I just updated my R7900 to V1.0.4.38_10.0.50  but my ethernet crashed when I entered routerlogin.net .. I guess we need to go to old school Netgear and enter http://192.168.1.1 via a browser on our ethernet connected device then enter username and password.  Ignore the annoying advertisements and do your updates from there. 

Message 230 of 242

@MauleGuy wrote:

The username "admin" and password "password" are default, but should the the same as what you changed them to via Genie. 

You can't change the username, only the password.

Message 231 of 242

@MauleGuy wrote:

I just updated my R7900 to V1.0.4.38_10.0.50  but my ethernet crashed when I entered routerlogin.net ..

That's a new one "ethernet crashed". What actually happened?

Message 232 of 242
MauleGuy
Apprentice

Michael;

I used  http://routerlogin.net/ to try to login to my router  but when I did the ethernet connection was lost.  The Microsoft troubleshooting tool pointed to a DNS failure.  

I did the standard: turn off cable modem, turn off R7900 routher, turn off computer, wait 1 minute and restart in the same order.  Ethernet and WiFi were restored, I then accessed my router via the http://192.168.1.1 method on my browser, entered username and password when requested and got the update completed.

I have had issues w/ the routerlogin.net tool for awhile and keep forgetting I have a login in my password manager for the 192.168.1.1 access path stored.   

This direct method has always worked for me and I, personally, see no need to use the Nighthawk app when I have direct access to my router via reliable connection.  I am always puzzled by how one can access the router via Nighthawk if the wifi from the router connection fails for some reason. 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 233 of 242
KristalVoyyd
Aspirant

Thank you!! That worked. 🙂
Message 234 of 242
JDSATTER
Aspirant

Dustin,

I would really appreciate and be sincerely grateful if you could point me in the direction as to how I can update (install) the firmware on my WN3000RP NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender, that my Nighthawk App says that it needs as it says it is vulerable for attacks. Since the NETGEAR Genie is no longer available for the task, instead I am directed to use the Nighthawk App. and yet there is NO THREAD that walks one through the process.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Dale Satter

jdsatter@gmail.com

p.s. I have a Nighthawk AC 1900 Smart WiFi Router, Model R7000

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 235 of 242

@JDSATTER wrote:

I would really appreciate and be sincerely grateful if you could point me in the direction as to how I can update (install) the firmware on my WN3000RP NETGEAR Universal WiFi Range Extender, that my Nighthawk App says that it needs as it says it is vulerable for attacks.

You would do better to start your own fresh conversation if you want to catch the eye of the Netgear folks.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Upgrade the Firmware.

Then there is this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Be warned that the WN3000RP dates back to 2011, 10 years ago, and was never that capable, slow LAN port and not obvious that it does 5 GHz wifi. The most recent firmware update was five years ago,

@JDSATTER wrote:

Since the NETGEAR Genie is no longer available for the task

Do you mean this?

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

There is also the mobile genie for Android devices.

Message 236 of 242
RickDawson
Aspirant

I've just upgraded my Android mobile and now discovered that the Genie app is no longer available in Google Play.

get directed to the Nighthawk app. router is not supported, yet it shows a photo of it!

now left with no easy way to check my router when my computers need to be showing other software whilst configuring the router. this is so i can see if software is communicating between each other.

router:D7800 

windows 10

android 12 (pixel 6 pro)

and yes the latest firmware is installed in the router from 01/11/2021

there are ways to obtain the old genie app, but it is something that i don't want to mention.

need a proper way than maybe resorting to other methods.

Message 237 of 242
RickDawson
Aspirant

so no support then... *sigh*
Message 238 of 242

@RickDawson wrote:
so no support then... *sigh*

You need help with something on the Netgear Genie?

Message 239 of 242
Billdr
Aspirant

Genie no longer accepts my password, but Nighthawk does not support my router (R6300v2). How do I find my WPA key that my wireless printer needs?

Message 240 of 242

@Billdr wrote:

How do I find my WPA key that my wireless printer needs?

I doubt if your (unnamed) printer really needs that information. Few do. Either use WPS or the printer's setup utility.

But if you really must get at it, user the browser graphical user interface (GUI). Try going to routerlogin.net

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation. The manual explains what to do to get at routerlogin.net

@Billdr wrote:

Genie no longer accepts my password, but Nighthawk does not support my router (R6300v2).

Which genie? This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

Whatever it is, if the thing is still installed, it should work. If it no longer accepts a password, something else is happening. You might like to see how to fix that.

Message 241 of 242
williamhoke
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for this update about NETGEAR Genie App (old version) no more useable. So I am happy to switch to the new Nighthawk app very soon.

Message 242 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7