Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

Re: Important: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated

@SaintOnLine419 wrote:
I had a update then to my R6920 in the updating haven't stopped yet it's still been going on for hours and I can't get the router to reboot yourself it's just blinking off and on a side no more updates for Netgear genie Trident contact support there's nothing

Help us out. There is a lot that I don't understand in there.

You have an R6920 that did not update its firmware properly?

I can't find anything called an R6920 in Netgear's system. Do you mean R6900?

Does your problem have anything to do with the subject of this message? Or even with one of the "apps and services" that this section covers?

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, by starting a fresh discussion over in the appropriate section:

Nighthawk WiFi Routers

Message 101 of 242
dark77matter
Aspirant

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

The nighthawk app seems confused by my extenders ssid. I’m using my iPhone to connect and manage via website smart setup but wanted to get an app as it has tons of features I like. However, while it attempts to connect (and asks me) to connect to “netgear-ext”, which doesn’t exist when I go to ‘settings’->’wifi’. My established WiFi ssid is there and connected to the internet, there is no ‘netgear-ext’ listed? I tried the remote login function but it logs in and detects no equipment. To give some history, I started with the genie app as the extender I am using is an NETGEAR genie EX6110 -> (figured, “it’s a genie, I should use the ‘genie’ app”). It shows the great features, lists the network ssid I’m connected to but when I select any of the app features, it requested me to login... (after a good while reading the support forums and seeing others with the same issue e.g. “login name is ‘admin’ and is unchangeable and typing the default password doesn’t work?”). I tried and tried but got nowhere. So I downloaded the nighthawk app. As mentioned prior, it doesn’t work with the operating extender and keeps asking me to login into an WiFi that isn’t there, keeps repeating, ‘there are issues connecting to the “insert currently named ssid here”, please go to setting and connect your device to ‘netgear-ext’ and try again. I see that the genie is no longer supported but neither app works with the model I own, assuming it is because it is outdated and retired from the NETGEAR stables to the glue farm. :(.
P.s. which is sad because I REALLY am amazed by this extender! Not only is it the size of an large engagement ring box, it picks up and rebroadcasts the routers WiFi from 50-60 feet away at full strength, it has the ability to channel the 5Ghz band into the 2Ghz band for my PlayStation (since Sony opted to NOT install 5Ghz support on the PS4?), it can be separately password protected and has a schedule usage period for disabling when I’m not at home, AND doesn’t require a PC or CD to setup!? Flipping awesome device for $47!

That’s all, if anyone has any GOOD suggestions for a work around to either app, I would appreciate it!

Thanks
Model: EX6110|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 102 of 242

Re: Notice: NETGEAR Genie App Will No Longer Be Updated; Switch to the New Nighthawk app

@dark77matter wrote:

That’s all, if anyone has any GOOD suggestions for a work around to either app, I would appreciate it!

That is one solid slab of text, with no paragraphs or anything that makes it easy to read. Probably caused by Netgear's wonky forum software.

My response almost certainly rates as a BAD suggestion, but in my defence you have joined in on a discussion that started two months ago with a very different issue.

Most of the regulars who are the usual sources of ideas, not to mention Netgear's team, will be watching new messages for things they can help with.

So, start from scratch and stick the issue at hand and you may get some suggestions.

Remember, apps do not play nicely with extenders.

Message 103 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@dark77matter wrote:
...I started with the genie app as the extender I am using is an NETGEAR genie EX6110 -> (figured, “it’s a genie, I should use the ‘genie’ app”). It shows the great features, ...

Netgear extenders have never been supported by the Genie App (or Genie desktop programs). On routers which had support for the Genie App, it was just possible to "hop over" to the connected extenders on the Network Map, so we had an option to see the extender connected devices there. 

Similar, only very few new Netgear wireless extender models are supported by the Nighthawk App.

Message 104 of 242
Harrybean
Aspirant

This is so typical of these companies you pay good money for their equipment it’s still working fine so they make it obsolete by no updates.Knighthawk app doesn’t work with r7500.

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 105 of 242
Harrybean
Aspirant

Must try Linksys models may get better support

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 106 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Harrybean wrote:

Knighthawk app doesn’t work with r7500.

So and what is the problem please? The Genie App continues to be supported e.g. for your R7500 - so be happy, you can continue using the Netgear Genie App with your R7500 ... what's the fuzz? It's far better than the Nightmare App anyway. 

Message 107 of 242

@Harrybean wrote:

Knighthawk app doesn’t work with r7500.

The mobile genie will work with the R7500 and is the preferred option for many people.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

With luck Netgear will not remove this feature from the R7500 and force people to use the Nighthawk app.

Message 108 of 242
Mattit
Guide

Where did you find the network map? 

Message 109 of 242

@Mattit wrote:

Where did you find the network map? 

I'm lost here. This is a long and rambling discussion.

Which "you" is that? And where are you looking for a map? Which app?

Message 110 of 242
Farmtech
Initiate

When does NetGear expect the Nighthawk app to work with the C7800?
Message 111 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Farmtech wrote:
When does NetGear expect the Nighthawk app to work with the C7800?

What's the reason here? You can continue using the (much better) Genie App.

Message 112 of 242
Farmtech
Initiate

For one, it is a confusing message from Netgear to switch to something that doesn’t work, plus any limitations I have now I am apparently living with for an unknown period of time.
Message 113 of 242

@Farmtech wrote:
For one, it is a confusing message from Netgear to switch to something that doesn’t work, plus any limitations I have now I am apparently living with for an unknown period of time.

Very true. But where did you read anything telling you to switch to the Netgear app for your C7800?

If you can point that out maybe we can get Netgear to correct that message.

@Farmtech wrote:
....any limitations I have now I am apparently living with for an unknown period of time.

The genie has no affect any any limitations that you perceive. As @schumaku correctly points out, any limitations in this scenario are with the Nighthawk genie, not your cable modem router. If Netgear threatens to the Nighthawk genie, then you will have plenty of reasons to shout about the app's limitations.

Generally, experienced users avoid those mobile apps. They do as much as possible with a browser and the graphical user interface. The exception may be the desktop app for Windows and iThings.

Message 114 of 242
ElReg
Tutor

Hi Guys,

I have not contributed to this subject for a while but reading all your comments.

I have given up on the Nighthawk app, I have a very new model of router and even with that, the nighthawk app does not work,

it says no connected device found !!!

I am connecting directly to my router via my brouser, to maintain it, that is all.

Yes i would love to check what devices are connected to my router every now and again but.... I have given up !!

Message 115 of 242

@ElReg wrote:

I have given up on the Nighthawk app, I have a very new model of router and even with that, the nighthawk app does not work,

it says no connected device found !!!

That's a known phenomenon. But without more information, no one can help.

Start a new discussion in the area given over to your hardware. Tell people what the model is. You may get some ideas.

But to be honest, you are already doing the right thing. Browser and desktop software wipe the floor with those mobile apps.

Message 116 of 242
Dneill79
Aspirant

Just bought a new modem router (nighthawk) and the nighthawk app says it’s incompatible!😡
They need to make all models compatible.
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 117 of 242
DHAegis
Aspirant

I literally just bought a modem/router combo that is out of the box not supported by your Nighthawk app. (Note, the product is called Nighthawk) What the flux?!
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 118 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

I am not even kind of kidding when I tell you to return the Nighthawk modem/router immediately and get a different brand. They have completely botched this software and equipment platform. This was a great device before they killed the Genie app and went to the Nighthawk app. It doesn't work and is complete garbage. Save yourself months of frustration and hassle. Get out now while you still can. Run.... run away from these products.....
Message 119 of 242

@DHAegis wrote:
I literally just bought a modem/router combo that is out of the box not supported by your Nighthawk app.

You can use the Netgear Genie which is a more powerful app for whichever mobile device you own.

It seems that you have bought the C7800, which is a cable mode/router. For reasons best known only to the network industry, Internet service providers will not allow you, Netgear or anyone else, to update the firmware on devices attached to cable networks. Only the ISP can update devices and most are not technically savvy enough to do that. They probably prefer it when customers rent their (usually crappy) modems.

One consequence of this seems to be that Netgear has no control over the interface on your cable modem. It cannot make the changes it takes to enable the Nighthawk apps to work with it.

Message 120 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Donmckinney wrote:
They have completely botched this software and equipment platform. This was a great device before they killed the Genie app and went to the Nighthawk app. It doesn't work and is complete garbage

The Genie App does continue to work for devices not supported by the Nighthawk App, like all Dxxxx DSL modem/routers and the CableTV modem/routers Cxxxx, as well as earlier Ethernet routers Rxxxx (regardless if named Nighthawk or not).

@DHAegis @Dneill79 Different from the Nighthawk models supporting the Nighthawk App (and denying access from the Genie App) where the Nighthawk App became part of the documentation (-> Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app?), there is no word of suggesting or promoting the usage of the Nighthawk App with your modem/router models. 

While I agree the Netgear communication as well as the router firmware and App quality is baldy suffering, there is no need to fall into an apocalyptic mood.

Message 121 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

In my case I have the R8000 and it is supposed to be a supported device. It worked perfectly with the Genie mobile, and still does with the desktop but it was awesome to be able to hit a button on my phone and turn off the kids devices access to the internet. Spent hours with techs going over every imaginable setting, they downloaded logs and reports and they just keep coming back with lame reasons why it doesn't work any more. The last one was that implied I was too stupid to realise that the modem had been in router mode initially and only stopped working when I reset the settings into AP mode. I am sure they get a lot of draft people using their gear but really... The modem was specifically purchased to only be an access point. My Comcast router was always in place for my ATT micro cell and Xbox to be wired to it with the radios turned off and the R8000 located centrally in my house for mobile gaming on the 5ghz radio. Genually insulted by the techs. Everything worked fine for 2 years. The only time I had an issue was when the Genie app was killed and that was the first time the R8000's firmware or settings were touched after the initial install while trying to try to fix this problem. Forgive my frustration but I have given up all hope it will ever return to it's original functionality.
Message 122 of 242

@Donmckinney wrote:
It worked perfectly with the Genie mobile, and still does with the desktop but it was awesome to be able to hit a button on my phone and turn off the kids devices access to the internet.

This explains why several of us believe that people should not complain if their device does not work with the new Netgear app. They are the lucky ones. They can still use the mobile genie.

As  you have found, it broke the link to parental controls.

Around six months ago, there was a truly horrible video from Netgear showing the new all-singing all-dancing Nighthawk app. Sadly, they have yet to add some of the missing, and promised, features.

I can't comment on the rest of the message. I don't understand it, nor is it, as far as I can see, related to the Nighthawk App.

One comment, though, putting a Netgear router into access-point mode disables things like parental controls, regardless of the app used.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 123 of 242
Donmckinney
Tutor

I never used parental controls. Just the buttons under device control where you can turn on or off individual devices connections to the radio. That is what doesn't work any more. They are still there they just don't do any thing. I used to be able to rename the devices but now it doesn't keep those names after you save them. The next time you log in they are back to unknown again. Plus this functionality STILL WORKS on the Genie desktop app. Just not on the Netgear mobile app. So please stop telling me this never worked because it works now just only on the Genie software.
Message 124 of 242
schumaku
Guru

@Donmckinney wrote:
... Just the buttons under device control where you can turn on or off individual devices connections to the radio. That is what doesn't work any more. They are still there they just don't do any thing. I used to be able to rename the devices but now it doesn't keep those names after you save them. The next time you log in they are back to unknown again. Plus this functionality STILL WORKS on the Genie desktop app. Just not on the Netgear mobile app.

That's all a hit and miss, effects and problems vary with the router model.

Message 125 of 242
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7