Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7500

Lhaysfl
Aspirant

R7500

Hello, I was trying to install updates I don’t  know if there was a change to the security  settings as a result of the updates.  Updates now make it impossible to access internet,   I get a access not permitted because not a secure connection .  Security on genie is “none”. 

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

I will start with rebooting... thx

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Anytime you do a firmware update, its always a good idea to factory reset the device and do a reinstall. Did you update over wifi or a hardwired connection? Hardwired is best but isn't always an option for all. 

I'd start with the reset if you didn't do that upon update if your R7500.

Message 2 of 15

@Lhaysfl wrote:

Hello, I was trying to install updates I don’t  know if there was a change to the security  settings as a result of the updates.  Updates now make it impossible to access internet,   I get a access not permitted because not a secure connection . 

Where do you see this message "access not permitted because not a secure connection"?

A browser? In Windows?

While a factory reset can dig you out of holes, it should be a last resort. Something you do after you have checked everything else.

@Lhaysfl wrote:

Security on genie is “none”. 

What genie is this? It could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

Message 3 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

I have pushed the reset button on back of router.  The nighthawk genie client, which allows me to access the Netgear configuration wirelessly, has me on firmware version v1.0.0.124.

all my phones, iPads and computers automatically  get a Netgear  genie client admin account settings page popping up continuously.  Page Asking me to change admin password. If you go ahead and try to change to the same default password and pick the security questions, client get a “ 400 bad request “

If cancel  out  and can access the genie web interface.  The speed test results under router settings is .09MBps.  Is that normal? My ISP is pushing 120 MBps download and 10MBps upload.  

I dont know if the router router is configured correctly.  The genie client says internet is good and WiFi is good but keep getting the NETGEAR genie admin login screen on all my devices 

please advise. Thanks 

Message 4 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

Did the reset thanks 

Message 5 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

Still get error can not establish a secure connection when go to scarier page and link to utube 

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

couple things I would try. You didn't put if your device is version 1 or 2. Based upon the firmware you listed, I'm going with version 1. You're firmware is still out of date. I'd do a manual update to the .130 firmware. the release notes walk you through a manual update. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7500

After the update, go into your settings Advanced-->Maintaince-->Backup-->Erase    Factory reset it using this method AFTER the firmware upgrade. make sure you do the upgrade over a hardwired connection. We get problems on here from doing it over wifi or the genie utility all the time. Doing it over a hadrwired connection gets you the best results. Then redo your installation. You can also use this method to backup the device configuration for future.  

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

Plus the new firmware has been requiring people use a password other than the default. Make sure to pick your own (keep it something you'll remember). That'll give you the 400 error. 

Message 8 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

I finally was able to download from the netgear site the parental controls application (genie) for a MAC.   I enables parental controls - Moderate.  Seems like the High does not allow UTube ?  

Also I still can not "see" my 2G on my devices,  only the 5G appears on my ipad and phone .  The 2 G was useful for outside use on our dock.  Please advise on how to get this working.  Thanks!!!

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

If you log into the router through the browser and go BASIC tab--Wireless   is your 2.4ghz ssid broadcast enabled?

Message 10 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

My Netgear client shows

• 5G and 2 G under router settings tab.
  • only the 5G in the WiFi tab
  • both internet and WiFi tabs say connected

i don’t know if it is “enabled” since it is not listed in the WiFi tab.  How do I enable it?

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

Are you accessing it via the browser or via an app? 

Try using the browser and it'll be under "enable ssid broadcast"

Message 12 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

Went into Netgear router login via safari client and both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz are enabled.

security on both is WPA2-PSK.

2.4 information:

• ssid is netgear39
  • channel is set to auto
  • mode is up to 600Mbps

should I reboot router and see if that makes it work?  

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

You could try a reboot.

You can also try changing wifi channels to 1-6-11 to see if that'll help. 

You can even try setting the broadcast down from the up to 600mbps to see if that'll help. 

Sometimes troubleshooting involves playing around to see what helps. Just make sure when you do it, you change one setting at a time so if something goes wrong, its easy fixed 

Message 14 of 15
Lhaysfl
Aspirant

I will start with rebooting... thx

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7