Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Firmware Update R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 breaks Live Parental Controls and Genie App functions

Tech16
Initiate

R8000 Firmware Update R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 breaks Live Parental Controls and Genie App functions

Updating firmware on R8000 to R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25.chk (latest recommended update) breaks Live Parental Controls (LPC)-cannot turn ON or OFF from web app (Gui takes you instead to NetGear page, http://www.netgear.com/lpc?cid=wmt_netgear_organic). Genie Mobile App does not allow you to login to LPC to turn LPC ON or OFF. Update also breaks Genie Mobile App "Network Map" feature which now only shows router and device running Genie App-no other devices.

Rolling R8000 firmware back to R8000-V1.0.3.32_1.1.21.chk restores functionality to both.

Please fix ASAP because with R8000-V1.0.3.32_1.1.21.chk, my internet connection goes UP and DOWN constantly which appeared to be fixed in R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25.chk.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16

Re: R8000 Firmware Update R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 breaks Live Parental Controls and Genie App functio

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

Message 2 of 16
lbotez
Tutor

Re: R8000 Firmware Update R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 breaks Live Parental Controls and Genie App functio

I've reset to factory settings several times. It still doesn't allow me to get into the router via software.

Seems the Genie software might be broken.  For mac and pc.   Plus I can't seem to be able to downgrade to the previous software.

Message 3 of 16

@lbotez wrote:

I've reset to factory settings several times. It still doesn't allow me to get into the router via software.

The first message was about Live Parental Controls, a broken network map and a dodgy Internet connection. I suspect that these are not the same issues as not getting into the router "via software". It is more likely that the inability to get into the router is the root cause of all these symptoms.

What happens if you try the web browser rather than the apps?

The "can't get into the router" thing is a perennial. (Just browse around here a bit.) There are various possible reasons.

For example, the R8000 is a router. This means that there is probably a modem in there somewhere. That can lead to conflicts between the two and which gets to hand out IP addresses.

Using the browser to troubleshoot is usually easier than messing around with the standalone genies.

Here is just one item in the KnowledgeBase:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 16
Tech16
Initiate

Hi michaelkenward,

Reluctantly, I followed your suggestion.  Updated to R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 firmware and reset unit to factory settings (holding reset button for 10sec). Then manually re-entered all my previous settings including DDNS, reserved IPs, port mappings in addition to all the Wifi settings.

Same result.  No access to Live Parental Controls (through web and ios Genie app) and no devices other than ios device running Genie app showing up on Genie Network Map.

Since I need to have LPC working this evening, I restored firmware back to R8000-V1.0.3.32_1.1.21 and all is working again!  I really believe there's something broken with R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 firmware.

Message 5 of 16
lbotez
Tutor

Thanks.  I reset my router again to factory settings, holding it down for 12 seconds...  changed my password again.  Then went to http://192.168.1.1 and logged on ad admin with the new password I created.  BTW, I was a bit confused about the two passwords:  one for Netgear.com, and a second one just for the router.  Yeah, I know, dumb, but it was one more thing...

Then I got into the Genie software apparently built-in to the router.  It took awhile to figure out what I wanted to change (one of them was the Channels for my tri-band; apparently I'm sharing two of the three with some neighbor's Negear routers down the road.  I was able to get two of them single, at least for now.

I also updated the QoS (not sure exactly what that Quality of Service does, but it needed an update).

The mac software for netgear Genie for mac verison 2.4.22 will not allow me to log in with my new, just created Admin password; but I guessing they just haven't updated that.  Too bad, because it makes a lot more sense to use (unless you're an IT person).

The rest isn't pertinent to this topic, but was something I discovered when I logged into the built in software to the router once I was able to get into it:

I'm wondering if IPV6 software will help me with speed issues. (I'm getting lags at various times during the day, and Charter doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it).  I set it to auto detect and it chose "6to4 tunnel".  I read a bit about this "6to4 tunnel", and it sounds like that might not be the best to use, but so far it's running okay.  The IPV6 is a bit complex to grasp (I just want to get the router to work better), but eventually we'll all be using it, I suppose.  The default was "disabled;" so I figured I'd try it out and see if it makes any difference.

Also, to downgrade the firmware to version .32, you just download the file from Netgear software, then select Router Update and then locate the file on your computer and select it???   I'm totally afraid I might lock up the router...

Thanks..

Message 6 of 16

@lbotez wrote:

BTW, I was a bit confused about the two passwords:  one for Netgear.com, and a second one just for the router.

Not sure what you mjesan by that.

If by Netgear.com you mean http://www.routerlogin.com/

or

http://www.routerlogin.net

Then that is the router.

If it is the pesky genie android app, then you can skip that bit, "Continue without login".

There are just too many things going on in your messages to be able to provide much help. Deal with one thing at a time or you will end up in a complete mess.

Message 7 of 16
lowman
Aspirant

I Just updated firm ware in the R8000 I now can not connect with the Genie .. Log in says some thing about ipv6 and it stops there . I updated the Genie app same results . Not happy with this 300 dollar brick since day one . 

Message 8 of 16

First, did you factory reset the router? That is the first thing to try of you have post-flash problems.

Second, can you get into the web interface using a browser?

PS You have joined in on an older discussion about a different subject so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 9 of 16
lowman
Aspirant

Did not try factory reset . The Genie will not recognise the router even after updateing to new version .  I tryed disableing the IPv6 and it will default to another setting instead of disabled . Current verson firm ware after flash 1.0.3.36-1.1.25 . For some reason my Go Flex nas is not scessable thru and ftp that is on put

Ipads . The nas was giving issues before the flash and reason for flash was the usb ready share was malfunctioning the ready share was found to be a bad usb extension cable between router and storage it seems that that issue is resolved . I can acess nas thry seagate dashdoard but not the ftp on any Ipad . I can not even log in with Ipad genie it tosses the Ipv 6 thing . I am lost when it rains it pours . What version firmware should I roll router  back to . 

Message 10 of 16

@lowman wrote:

Did not try factory reset .

So try it.

Message 11 of 16
lowman
Aspirant

Mmmm ? I think there is a port issue ? Seagate nas inascessable how do I find out what is useing port 21 suppoedly an ftp ? 22 443 and port 80"are open 

Message 12 of 16

We still don't know if you have reset.

PS It is hard to follow your messages. Thought of trying the Spellcheck button above here?

Message 13 of 16
AlexKNY
Aspirant

I have the same problem after update !
Message 14 of 16
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AlexKNY,

1. Please make sure you do a factory reset after the update.

2. Please provide a more detailed description of the issue, your setup, and steps taken.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 15 of 16
Cdric
Aspirant

Same problem here also after update! Don't propose me a useless factory reset but please give us the solution that's really work or give us a new firmware update that solve this problem. Thank you.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7