Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 firmware breaks Android Genie app....

dspiatkowski
Aspirant

R8000 V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 firmware breaks Android Genie app....

MAJOR problem with this latest firmware release is that it completely brakes the Android version of the app...so as I came to find out a few nights ago, the mobile app doesn't even manage to LOG-IN to the router anymore...completely dead.

I left the app feedback on Google App page, but I have no idea who (if anyone) actually reads this.

I have a R8000 router at home and have been successfully using it with the V1.0.3.32_1.1.25 firmware combination for a few months. Specifically, this has always worked great with your Android Genie app, version 3.1.12, Feb-27_2017 release.

However, about two days ago when V1.0.3.36 version of the router firmware become available the Android app stopped working. What I mean by that is that it is simply unable to connect to the router. All connection attemptes are failed with the app prompting me to hard re-boot the router. I have done so...however, this did NOT fix the problem.

Therefore, I suspect that something in this latest router firmware is causing the Genie app to break.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
Garfield18
Guide

Re: R8000 V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 firmware breaks Android Genie app....

FYI, this also applied to the iPad and Windows version of Genie!

You should be able to still log on using the web interface. But you will not get the parental control to work from the web interface, which I am always wonder why they make a decision to only allow a person to change the parental control from the Genie, which doesn't work that well anyhow, on iPad/Android/Windows versions.

I reverse back to previous version of the firmware, I knows Windows version worked fine. iPad version seems to have issue seeing I have the parental control turned on. I haven't tried the Android version yet.

We can only wait for Netgear to fix the firmware!!

Thanks.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dspiatkowski,

1. Please make sure you perform a factory reset on the router after updating the firmware.

2. I have done my own test with the same firmware and the latest version (3.1.12) of the Genie app and did not encounter any issues.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
Garfield18
Guide

Hi Dexter,

I had performed a factory reset. I could log on to the Genie app once. But I wasn't able to do anything. For example, if I go to parental control, it just timeout. If I go to network map, I was only able to see the device I am using the Genie. And afterward, I am not able to log into the router until I do a reboot on the router. But the same problem of not be able to do anything continue. And I can only log in from Genie after another reboot of the router. Any other suggestions?

Be honestly, why don't we need to do a factory reset everytime. That mean I need to re-enter everything. That is a lot of work because I change a lot of settings like Access Control, QoS, etc. I think this is also something that the developement team should think about to fix.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
dspiatkowski
Aspirant

You are so right with you comment. Let's be honest, the old CTRL-ALT-DEL trick, or worse yet, the POWER OFF/POWER ON is the course of action that used to be acceptable...ohh...way back in the late 80s and early 90s of the 1900s. Seriously, it is not just dissapointing but indeed incredibly sad that Netgear's standard response is "do a router re-set to factory specs"...are you serious???

I would suspect many users have put some time and effort into configuring their routers to suit their needs. So why as a hardware vendor would you even expect them to throw all of that away as a routinely done activity needed to simply update the router firmware???

Message 5 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Garfield18 and @dspiatkowski,

A factory reset is necessary after a firmware update to clear the memory and avoid possible issues with the firmware and previous settings configured. Also, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team 

Message 6 of 7
Newbie561
Aspirant

@Garfield18 wrote:

Hi Dexter,

I had performed a factory reset. I could log on to the Genie app once. But I wasn't able to do anything. For example, if I go to parental control, it just timeout. If I go to network map, I was only able to see the device I am using the Genie. And afterward, I am not able to log into the router until I do a reboot on the router. But the same problem of not be able to do anything continue. And I can only log in from Genie after another reboot of the router. Any other suggestions?

Be honestly, why don't we need to do a factory reset everytime. That mean I need to re-enter everything. That is a lot of work because I change a lot of settings like Access Control, QoS, etc. I think this is also something that the developement team should think about to fix.

Thanks.

I'm still got lots to learn about configuring routers so please be patient. Shouldn't the backup feature restore all the settings? I did the factory reset after the regular reboots failed to solve my Android devices dropping offline. I then restored the settings with my last backup. It still didn't solve the issue but I just changed the preamble setting from long to short in the advanced wireless settings and so far my phone has stayed connected for at least 30 minutes so far. It usually disconnected after only a few minutes.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7