Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyShare drive

Catboat
Guide

ReadyShare drive

Is there another app that will allow me to remotely connect to an external drive that is connected to my router via usb? apparently Genie is not compatable with my model
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

No remote access - neither the remote access by port and https nor the remote access in the Nighthawk App - has any relation to the ReadyCloud feature. There is no need to enable these to gain ReadyCloud access (via the readyCloud portal or using any ReadyCloud App).

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The legacy Genie App had some nice features (like side-by-side of local and ReadyCloud drive), some are missing on the "real" ReadyCloud App (available on Google Play and Apple App Store) - which works nicely with your R9000, too. 

Message 2 of 22

@Catboat wrote:
Is there another app that will allow me to remotely connect to an external drive that is connected to my router via usb? apparently Genie is not compatable with my model

App for what? A mobile of some sort?

Model of what? Router? Mobile device?

Have you investigated ReadyCLOUD?

Message 3 of 22
Catboat
Guide

This is so annoying lol this started when someone at work told me about his Western Digital Cloud drive, and I was going to purchase one, and my son told me the router we have can do the same thing. If this is not the case then I will purchase a WD Cloud drive, if it is the case what do I need to do?
Message 4 of 22

ReadyShare holds stuff on a local USB drive in your place and you can access it from the outside world with an Internet connection.

The Western Digital Cloud drive also connects to your router, but with a wired LAN link rather than USB. In effect, WD uses a proper NAS box.

In essence, your son is correct if the idea is to get at your files while you are away from home. Both approaches need an Internet connection to files on your own network.

The Netgear approach will be a lot cheaper, because you just plug a USB drive into the router. But the amount you can store won't be as high as the largest WD device.

Message 5 of 22
Catboat
Guide

Ok thank you! That is what I was hoping was the case, I have a 500gb drive connected now which is sufficent, but there seems to be an issue with what app to use. the nighthawk app connects to my router fine from anywhere, so that is where the trouble starts, Genie is not compatable with my router.

Message 6 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Catboat wrote:

...I have a 500gb drive connected now which is sufficent, but there seems to be an issue with what app to use. the nighthawk app connects to my router fine from anywhere, so that is where the trouble starts, Genie is not compatable with my router.

As mentioned before: ReadyCloud App (available for Apple iOS, Android, Apple MacOS, and Windows).

Message 7 of 22
Catboat
Guide

I have the ReasdyCloud app, I think my issue is the to set it up I need to be in my home network, I am at work now on a different network

Message 8 of 22

@Catboat wrote:

I have the ReasdyCloud app, I think my issue is the to set it up I need to be in my home network, I am at work now on a different network

Yes. When you get home, set up remote access on the R9000 router.

This will take you through the process of creating a mynetgear account, if you haven't done this already. This is what you will use to access the local stuff with the ReadyCloud app.

Message 9 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Catboat wrote:

When you get home, set up remote access on the R9000 router.

On the R9000 (or any other Nighthawk router supporting ReadyCloud) head to [Advanced] -> [ReadyShare] -> [ReadyCloud] to register the router for ReadyCloud using your Netgear account.

Remote access (neither in the Nighthawk App nor in the Genie Web UI) is not related.

Message 10 of 22
Catboat
Guide

Yes I did set up a mynetgear account, and was unable to find my router using the serial number, I am hoping that will work when I get home

Message 11 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Catboat wrote:

Yes I did set up a mynetgear account, and was unable to find my router using the serial number, I am hoping that will work when I get home

ReadyCloud does not magically add a device for ReadyCloud sharing just by registering it based on the serial number - it must be enabled on the device: 

ReadyCloud Register.PNG 

Message 12 of 22
Catboat
Guide

That page is from a readycloud account?

Message 13 of 22
schumaku
Guru

No, from a Nighthawk router...! In fact an R9000, too.

This is where you bind the R9000 (or any similar Nighthawk device) to the ReadyCloud, using the [My]Netgear account.

Message 14 of 22
Catboat
Guide

Oh ok...do I use the nighthawk app to get to that point?

Message 15 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Afraid no, the Nightahwk App does only offer limited functionality for basic operations. 

You need to use the router Web UI using a Web browser - either local eg. as https://routerlogin.net/ or in case you have enabled the (real) remote management (with an exposed port to the Internet IP, using https, and the port as configured).

Message 16 of 22
Catboat
Guide

Ok this is great, we will continue when I am home! Thank you!

Message 17 of 22

Remote access (neither in the Nighthawk App nor in the Genie Web UI) is not related.

Heaven only knows what that means.

Not related to what? The phases of the Moon? I agree with that.

Message 18 of 22

This is taking longer than it should. @Catboat please read the messages posted here.

@schumaku is spot on there.

That is what I meant to say when I suggested earlier that you have to set up ReadyShare on the router using the browser graphical user interface. Not the various apps.

Perhaps it would have helped to post the link to the manual:

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

Read the section: Share USB Storage Devices Attached to the Router.

Message 19 of 22
schumaku
Guru

No remote access - neither the remote access by port and https nor the remote access in the Nighthawk App - has any relation to the ReadyCloud feature. There is no need to enable these to gain ReadyCloud access (via the readyCloud portal or using any ReadyCloud App).

Message 20 of 22
Catboat
Guide

Capturesf.JPGHere is where I'm at, the router page see the drive but I still can't see it remotely

Message 21 of 22
Catboat
Guide

It's working!! Thank you for all your help!!

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7