× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to re-install NETGEAR Genie wireless utility (error: 1638)

grahamwhibley
Aspirant

Unable to re-install NETGEAR Genie wireless utility (error: 1638)

After upgrading Windows 10 to the anniversary version my genie stopped working, I decided to reinstall the software, on programs & features there seemed to be duplicates of the software I uninstalled the first version and then went ahead to uninstall the second version all this with a view to reinstalling the whole program but the program will not uninstall I get the error code 1638 saying the program has not finished installing so I cannot get rid of it to reinstall any ideas

Message 1 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Re: USB Genie

Hi grahamwhibley,

Can you post the screenshot of the error message?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi grahamwhibley,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 3 of 12
grahamwhibley
Aspirant

It turned out to be another problem just had the computer looked at and picked it up yersterday and all ok now thanks

Message 4 of 12
t0ken
Aspirant

Re: Unable to re-install NETGEAR Genie wireless utility (error: 1638)

Im also having the same problem with my a6210 adapter. I upgraded to the windows 10 anniversary but now when i try to install the netgear genie software i get to the detecting screen and this pops up "The NETgear a6210 adapter is not found". I tried unplugging it and uninstalling the drivers but still getting the same thing. Internet works but the speed is very slow averaging around 10mbps when i usually get around 60mbps. My other computers are not having this issue so im guessing the driver is not working properly. How can i fix this?
Message 5 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Delete all old stuff and install new one.

Message 6 of 12
t0ken
Aspirant

I tried installing it on my other computers that have the windows 10 anniversary update but they don't work either. They all show that netgear a6210 adapter is not found.

Message 7 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi t0ken,

1. Can you still see the adapter under device manager?

2. Do you have other computer with lower version of OS to check if it will be detected?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 12
t0ken
Aspirant

1)yes but it is only showing up as as a wireless lan card and im still having issues with the speeds.

2)Yes i have and the ones that don't have the new anniversary update on it detects it without any problems.

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi t0ken,

Are you still getting the error message when uninstalling the driver? Is it 1638 or 1628 error message?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
grahamwhibley
Aspirant

no everything is ok now since I took the box to sick bay, could have been the aniversary update

Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi grahamwhibley,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7