Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to login via Netgear Genie after upgrade of D6400 firmware to latest version (V1.0.0.104)

paul290716
Aspirant

Unable to login via Netgear Genie after upgrade of D6400 firmware to latest version (V1.0.0.104)

Hi all,

I have not able to login and set up parent control after I have upgraded the firmware of my D6400 router from V1.0.0.94 to V1.0.0.104.

I can successfully log on to the router via 192.168.0.1 via a browser.  However, it fails to log on to any settings menu via Netgear Genie using the same username and password as per my login from the browser.

I also tried to login using the Netgear Genie App on my Samsung phone, and same login issue when trying to login locally.

I had also looked at the Netgear community thread and there had been discussion around resetting the router after the firmware upgrade.  I did that but still having the same login issue.

Any ideas of next step.

Cheers

Paul.

Message 1 of 5

Re: Unable to login via Netgear Genie after upgrade of D6400 firmware to latest version (V1.0.0.104)

@paul290716 wrote:

I also tried to login using the Netgear Genie App on my Samsung phone, and same login issue when trying to login locally.

You say "locally", is that using the wifi from the D6400?

Is this D6400 already set up for Parental Controls? If so, you can go here:

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Netear is gradually making it harder and harder to use the free parental controls, as it pushed everyone on to the paid for Circle service.

I find that the desktop genie for Windows is the best way into some of these controls.And, guess what, Netgear is making that harder to find. The latest sighting was here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Get it while you can.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 5
paul290716
Aspirant

Re: Unable to login via Netgear Genie after upgrade of D6400 firmware to latest version (V1.0.0.104)

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

I have been using Parent Control in the past and have already had a OPENDNS account for years.

The issue I have now is once I upgraded the firmware from v94 to v104, the Netgear Genie App would not allow me to manage any settings (including Parent Control) with my normal user and password that I use to login via '192.168.0.1' from the browser.

I think there is a bug in the Netgear Genie App that it fails to recognize v104 firmware.

Cheers,

Paul.

Message 3 of 5

@paul290716 wrote:

I think there is a bug in the Netgear Genie App that it fails to recognize v104 firmware.

That wouldn't surprise me, especially as Netgear has all but abandoned the Netgear Genie app and free parental controls.

However, there are subtle interactions between firmware and apps, so either, or both, could be the problem.

If you have set up this already, then the link I provided above should be a way in. Even on a mobile device, that address should get you into Parental Controls. Just tried it here. It worked.

Message 4 of 5
paul290716
Aspirant

Thanks MIchael for your response.  Unfortunately the links given did not solve the issue.

Anyway, I've decided to upgrade my router given that it is already 5 years old.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7