Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000v5 after latest software update nothing works.

kalico13girl
Aspirant

WNR2000v5 after latest software update nothing works.

I was told i should update my Genie to the latest (MAC) version. Ever since I did that, the program won't quit when I want it to. I have to force quit. Now this morning, it stopped doing anything. I get the opening HOME screen and that's it. What do I do now? Thanks.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
kalico13girl
Aspirant

Re: WNR2000v5 after latest software update nothing works.

Okay great, thanks a lot for your help I certainly appreciate it. A new router might be a great Xmas present to myself? Have a great day.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You don't need the genie to access the router. You can access it through the browser. try www.routerlogin.net

If you truly want the genie, you could try uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling. Maybe something was corrupt during install. 

Message 2 of 8
kalico13girl
Aspirant

I guess I don't understand what function the genie serves, beyond a way of monitoring the system? Can I just throw it in the trash and be done with it? Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@kalico13girl wrote:

I guess I don't understand what function the genie serves, beyond a way of monitoring the system? Can I just throw it in the trash and be done with it? Thanks.

In my opinion, the genie app is pointless. Even netgear is phasing it out slowly.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/Notice-NETGEAR-Genie-App-Will-No-Longer-Be-Updated-Switch-to-...

I generally prefer the online browser or worse case, the app to manage my netgear devices. 

Message 4 of 8
kalico13girl
Aspirant

Does this mean that I need to buy a new router? Or, is that only if i want to use the Nighthawk app? Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

NO you definitly don't need to buy a new router. Might not hurt as the wnr2000 is a pretty old wireless n300 router but if you don't have much for speeds in your area, you'd be fine. 

All it means is that I'd control the router either with your built in browser or an app for your phone. you can even use a phone browser instead of a pc/mac browser if you prefer it this way.. 

And it might have been a bad install to your device. You can try uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling the software and it might work fine. I'm just saying that netgear is slowly phasing out the netgear genie. 

Message 6 of 8
kalico13girl
Aspirant

Okay great, thanks a lot for your help I certainly appreciate it. A new router might be a great Xmas present to myself? Have a great day.

Message 7 of 8

@plemans wrote:

Might not hurt as the wnr2000 is a pretty old wireless n300 router but if you don't have much for speeds in your area, you'd be fine. 

It isn't just the wifi speeds that are 20th century, according to Netgear's manual for this device, not the most reliable source I admit, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer Internet services and most modern network hardware. So it can slow down local traffic.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7