amber light

RickDee
Follower

amber light

Just installed my Netgear Nighthawk X6S. The light between #s 1 & 2 is amber. Couldn’t find troubleshooting info in manual or internet. Can you help?
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: amber light

Hi,

It's not about an error - even if the amber LED became much to "redish" in my opinion with several newer products, leading customers to believe there is a problem indication. The amber LED on the Ethernet port(s) does indicate a negotiated link speed of 10 Mbit/s (plain ol Ethernet, some computers use this in WoL mode), 100 Mbit/s (Fast Ethernet). 

Cause is that either the system connected does not support Gigabit Ethernet, or the network cable does not have four correctly wired and working pairs (eight strands). Low cost cables supplied with communication equipment from earlier decade have often just two pairs for example, too. Very rare, there is an incompatibility making the Gigabit Ethernet negotiation fail.

From the fine Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router User Manual Model R8000P p.11

Netgear X6S User Manual p.11 - Ethernet amber LED.png
FMI: R8000P — Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router

Happy networking!

Message 2 of 3

Re: amber light

To expand on what @schumaku says, tell people what these devices on the LAN are and they may be able to confirm that they are 100 Mbps only, and that orange is all you will ever see.

Devices that usually have 100 Mbps include TVs and other media devices. That speed is fast enough for them.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E