Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

LorneAv
Tutor

cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Hi,

I am trying to use NETGEAR Genie Parental controls and when I attempt to login to my OpenDNS account, I get the following error message:
"There was an error signing, in please make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again"
I am connected to the internet and I can open my account using the same email and password on the OpenDNS site but Genie will not connect.
I have a D6300 WiFi ADSL Modem Router running firmware version V1.0.0.90
Any ideas?  This is getting frustrating, as I have tried several times, at different moments of the day - just in case that helps...

THANK YOU for anyone who may be able to help.

Message 1 of 111

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Hi @LorneAv,

This has already been reported and is currently being looked at. I will be sending an inquiry to Engineering and will provide an update on this thread.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 111

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie

Hi @LorneAv,

This has already been reported and is currently being looked at. I will be sending an inquiry to Engineering and will provide an update on this thread.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 111
guddootomar
Aspirant

I have jwnr2010w5 router and the problem is same.

Message 3 of 111
snowedin
Initiate

I have the same issue with Genie login to setup Parental Controls.  I have a R7000 Netgear router with firmware version V1.0.4.30_1.1.67.   The Genie app for Windows v2.4.16 (I have Windows 10 x64 home premium) would not create a new OpenDNS account - did not like my password even though it met the criteria of 6-20 characters (the one I used had 10 chars, containing UPPER, lower, number and one special - the exclamation !.  Then I tried one that was 17 chars - Genie still didn't like it).  I went to OpenDNS.com and created a new OpenDNS account using my email address and the password I used in this case was 10 chars with Upper, lower, number and special; OpenDNS created an account.

Now using Genie with the existing OpenDNS account and password that I know works with the OpenDNS account.  Genie app tells me "There was an error signing in, make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again."  I am connected to the Internet as that is how I downloaded the Genie app...and how I am replying to this post...  I went to OpenDNS and changed my password - 10 chars UPPER, lower, number and special.  Verified that I could login with that new password - then back to Genie using the new updated password - Same result "The was an error signing in...

I see in this thread a response indicating this is a known issue - when might a work around or fix become available?
Message 4 of 111
LorneAv
Tutor

Thanks, Dexter.  Hopefully Netgear engineering team can come up with a solution soon - as you can see from other posts, there seems to be a lot of people having the same problem.

Message 5 of 111
jhhansen3
Initiate

Just bought R8500 - same problem: for what I have paid this is unacceptible.  I am inclined to return unit unless this can be corrected.  This is one of the reasons I purchased it!

Message 6 of 111
TCasb7793
Initiate

We just bought the R7300 which is basically the R7000 but it came with a DST unit. I'm running into the same thing and I am in the same boat as jhhansen3 regarding returning the unit. The parental controls is one of the key features I need for our family and the box indicates that this is a feature of this product. Please help. Thank you!
Message 7 of 111
ckelly38237
Tutor

Same problem.  NEEDS a solution (i.e., should work as advertised)

Seems like this has been an issue for quite a while now.  Is it LIKELY to get a fix??  

Model: Nighthawk R7000 

Firmware: V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

Message 8 of 111
pharesal
Initiate

well?????   I am same - answers please! 

Message 9 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pharesal@ckelly38237@TCasb7793@jhhansen3@snowedin@guddootomar,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Engineering is currently working on a fix. In the mean time, you can try using an iOS or MAC OS X device to log in to your OpenDNS account using the NETGEAR Genie for you to setup and manage LPC.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 111
ckelly38237
Tutor

Tried it from my Mac (Running OSX El Capitan).  I get the same error.  It acts as if I am not conected to the internet though I am.

Message 11 of 111
Stung
Aspirant

Hi - I'm in the same boat as all here, bought the netgear WNDR3700v5 router just for parental controls and I'm getting this "please make sure you're connected to the internet" message when I obviously am. 

Also tried from an iPhone as per last suggestion and I get the message "Internet is not available. Please connect your router to the Internet first." 

NetGear = very disappointing... what's going on?

Message 12 of 111
TBeese
Aspirant

Just bought R7000 - same problems I can log into OpenDNS account, but will not work on windows descktop in the parental controls are or the Genie app (boots me out of app) This is only of the reasons I purchased it!

Message 13 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TBeese@Stung and @ckelly38237,

You should be able to login to your OpenDNS account through the NETGEAR Genie and manage your LPC (Live Parental Controls) settings.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 14 of 111
LorneAv
Tutor

Hi Dexter,

I was finally able to login to OpenDNS through Network Genie - and enabled LPC, created bypass account, added time blocks etc....

Those having similar problems in this thread, try it now and hopefully you would be able to get in already.  The engineering team must have fixed the problem at last.

Thanks....

Message 15 of 111
ckelly38237
Tutor

Works...thanks.
Message 16 of 111
mortensonl
Aspirant

I am having the same problem and it will not let me access from my laptop or my Ipad

Message 17 of 111
StrayDogJoe
Initiate

Same Issue different day.cannot sign in to openDNS account to set-up parental controls using NETGEAR Genie.Not good enough Dexter Solution now mate!!!!! or are you guys in the business of stealing people's money.Your product does not perform to required standards and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has now been notified and directed to this page.If we cannot protect our children and Netgear are not interested in addressing the issue in a timely manner,I have no alternative but start a full Social Media campaign stating Netgear are not interested in protecting children online by selling a product which does not do what it states on the box.This evidenced by the extreme amount of time it has taken to get even a luke warm response from Netgear good onya dexter top work mate.

Message 18 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mortensonl,

I will need the following information for us to isolate the issue.

1. Are you still trying to register an OpenDNS account or do you already have an existing one?

2. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program/app?

3. What version of the NETGEAR Genie program do you have installed on the laptop?

4. Are you getting an error message? If yes, what is it?

5. What is the model number of your device?

6. What is the firmware version?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @StrayDogJoe,

We would like to help you resolve your concern about this feature of the product. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 20 of 111
jenjay
Aspirant

Hello.  I have been using a Netgear R7000 for about a year.  This morning I am trying to setup the parental controls.  I downloaded and installed Netgear Genie V . 2.4.16.  I tried to set up an opendns account and am getting the same error message with regard to password.  I have tried many different configurations for a password, all within the required parameters, and it still returns the error "Invalid password" message.  Any suggestions?

Message 21 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jenjay,

If your password met the required characters, you can try creating a password that is 13 or 15 characters long and see if it works.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 22 of 111
solarstone
Aspirant

Same issue from PC or from any Apple device with Netgear AC1200.

Firmware - v1.0.0.38_0.0.38

Using newly created openDNS account

I work in the industry, so I would hope to be able to setup something as simple as this.

Judging by the time this thread has been running, and how long the problem has been evident, I'm going to box up the Netgear, return it to Amazon, and get a Vigor, unless you can convince me otherwise by tomorrow.

Message 23 of 111
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @solarstone,

1. What error message you're getting?

2. Are you able to login using the same credentials through the OpenDNS website?

3. Has it worked before?

4. Have you tried using different logins?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 24 of 111
btrlin
Aspirant

It's now 29/11/2015.  Any solution yet?  I'm having this problem with a D6200.

Can't be botherred.  I'm uninstalling!

Message 25 of 111
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7