Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

highdef2012
Tutor

if you're going to suggest I try something I've already tried, at least put in the

hypertext link so that I can see that it's the same link.  I've been to your website

and tried every file, zip file, link and .pdf and it's all the same.. useless ..

Message 126 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

.. and PS!

I don't need an APK for my cell phone.  I need a piece of software that

will run the Genie on my Win10 laptop here at my home network.

Message 127 of 273
Ole_Roll
Initiate

Re: genie installer/windows update

This (version .12) solved it for me, at least until MS releases another W10 update and screws everything up again. Thanks!

Message 128 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

... i copied and pasted the Genie edition you mentioned, then Googled it.

It came up with a chip.de website.  I went there, downloaded it and got the same

Windows error message.  Here's a capture of the download version I used.

netgear from chip.de .jpg

Message 129 of 273
rickhnelson
Initiate

Did you find a fix yet?  I have the same problem of Genie starting then stopping on my new Windows 10 Dell Inspriron.  I want to connect my new laptop to the Netgear N750.

Message 130 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

... I found a weird work around. The one link the Rep posted was for a cell phone APK. I decided to install the Genie app from the Play Store on my new Note 5. It's not a desktop version, but shows me 95% of the same things about my home network. Guess it'll have to do. I've never had a **bleep**tier product support than this Netgear doofus. Lemme know how you make out.
Message 131 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

I'm thinking that until enough people (world-wide) complain, Nothing correctively will be done.

I'm sorry you're having the same problems with your new Dell.  I bet you're pretty frustrated.

You shouldn't have to go through this, let alone, with a new toy.  I guess with Win10 coming

out, and the Genie being a good app in our prior lives, it was a perfect storm bound to fail.

Course, to be adult about it, I have to admit the price of the product was for a router I guess,

not tech support or good software.  

Message 132 of 273
Nick-B
Aspirant

Just installed Windows 10 cumulative update and guess what?

Netgear Genie has been removed from my system as incompatable with this versin of Windows. 😞

When is there going to be a fix for this?

Message 133 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

I have tried to update to .20 today. Through the Genie app and by uninstalling .12 and installing .20..

It doesnt work, same error message. Reverted to a saved version of .12 and its working again.

Genie fail.PNG

Message 134 of 273
gailparz
Aspirant

Hi! This happened to me on the last update of Windows.  Revert back to the previous build and give the reason that programs aren't working with the new update. You might have to reinstall the previous version of genie.

Message 135 of 273
IcemanAz
Tutor

maybe everyone should start complaining about this issue on social media. This has been an issue for a long time apparently and nothing has been done. Complaining on social media will put them on the spot and maybe, just maybe they will get to working on a solution. 

Message 136 of 273
Gerry_SA
Tutor

The "Solution" did not work for me, however I got it working on Windows 10!

I looked through the Windows logs | Application in Event Viewer and found that there was an Application Error, Event ID 1000 each time

I tried to run Genie. This revealed the "Faulting module path" to be C:\Windows\System32\wpcap.dll.

This file is used for packet capture, which obviously Genie needs.

I uninstalled Genie, then downloaded and installed Win10Pcap (Win10Pcap-v10.2-5002.msi) authored by Daiyuu Nobori, University of Tsukuba, Japan.

I reinstalled Genie and Voila! up and running. I hope this solution works for someone else!

Regards,

Gerry

Salisbury East, South Australia

Message 137 of 273
Gerry_SA
Tutor

Hi Carll76,

I now have .20 working fine!

I'd like to see you with the latest version working too - please try my idea on this page - message 137.

Uninstall your old version first...

Let me know how you go.

Message 138 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

Net gear said i needed update now its not working! Really!

Message 139 of 273
Zobovan
Aspirant

Hi,

I've got the same problem with a new install. The program stop working immediately after having started.

No compatibility options proposed by Windows is working.

What can I do with my router ?

How can I configure the router when Genie is not working ?

Regards,

Stef

Message 140 of 273
Thinus
Star

Does not work for me Gerry. Same error

Maybe it only works for Port supporters

Go the Crows

Thinus

Message 141 of 273
artie922
Aspirant

Bob,

where is the link to 2.4.16

i have had problems with the netgear since upgrading to windows 10. i am not computer proficient so if you can give me steps on what you did, i would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Artie

ps  i cant even have guests log on to the guest password because of this as well. and get the netgear app error message when i log on to the computer and cant open the netgear genie app itself to get into settings etc

Message 142 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

... Artie-

this may not be something you'd prefer, but I gave up and

loaded the Genie app on my Note 5 phone that I just got.

Slight pain in needing to have your phone for this, but the

app works great!

Scott

Message 143 of 273
Gerry_SA
Tutor

@Thinus

Sorry to hear my "solution" didn't work for you. Yes, very funny, lol - I don't follow football at all!

What version of Win 10 are you running? You can find this out by right-clicking on the Windows icon (bottom left), select Run and then type winver and press Enter.

Mine is Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.36) for example. I have a 64-bit system. There should be an Application Error generated in the Event Viewer for each time you ran Genie. What is the Faulting module path? This will tell you which dll it doesn't like, and then you can do some research from there.

I forgot to add a link to the download for Win10Pcap.

Regards,

Gerry

Message 144 of 273
Gerry_SA
Tutor

@Zobovan

I'm not sure which router you have, but you don't need Genie to configure your router. You should be able to do it via the router's web page - mine for example is www.routerlogin.net.

Do you have a Quick Start book that came with it? If not, you should be able to download one from the Netgear site. You should follow the instructions in there carefully.

Genie is merely a handy tool...

Regards,

Gerry

Message 145 of 273
Zobovan
Aspirant

Dear Gerry,

thanks for your answer.

Obviously I can configure my router using the web interface.

However, I need to use Genie to bypass the Parental Controls settings.

Regards,

Z.

Message 146 of 273
Thinus
Star

@Gerry_SA

I did not think it was possible to stay in SA without following one of those two teams.

I am running the exact same version of W10 as you are on a 64bit Dell/Alienware PC

I have uninstalled genie, cleaned my registry with Ccleaner, installed Win10Pcap and re-downloaed the latest Genie - all done twice,. Same error each time

Faulting application name: NETGEARGenie.exe, version: 2.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x55ba05d8
Faulting module name: wpcap.dll, version: 4.1.0.2001, time stamp: 0x4c24dd97
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001b345
Faulting process ID: 0x2f88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d13c9b4ee14b5c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wpcap.dll
Report ID: 2a114083-754e-4e63-add1-986902d0b789
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This has been going on for many months now - does not look like Netgear will ever fix it

Thinus

Message 147 of 273
Stefanovich
Aspirant

Same happens to me cannot make it work on my new system. Old system that was auto upgraded has no issues just the brand new installation fails... Any help? 

Message 148 of 273
Gerry_SA
Tutor

@Thinus

Ah, interesting. Same wpcap.dll fault that I had.

Now, the only difference I can think of is that I already had ReadySHARE Vault installed, before I installed Win10Pcap.

Maybe try: Uninstall Genie, uninstall Win10Pcap. Restart. Install ReadySHARE vault, Genie and then Win10Pcap - Run up ReadySHARE Vault and close it.

Try Genie again. If it still does'nt work, try running Genie as Administrator - it will ask you about UAC - say Yes. Have a look in the NETGEAR Genie\bin folder for the executable, NETGEARGenie.exe.

What is the date stamp? Mine is 27/08/2015 at 12:08AM. It is 590K in size.

On your Genie desktop icon, does it have a blue and yellow shield with a white cross in the middle next to it? Mine does, as I am running it with special permissions. It could be (after doing the above) a permissions issue or other software you have installed...

BTW, I have no interest in ANY sport whatsoever, because I am a NERD! Lol 🙂

Cheers,

Gerry

Message 149 of 273
Gerry_SA
Tutor

@Zobovan

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware you needed Genie for Parental Controls - D'oh!

I don't have children, so I didn't look at that...

Cheers,

Gerry

Message 150 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7