Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

powderbrake
Aspirant

After a new router install today on my fairly new Win 10 computer, only to find Genie didn't work, I spent 53 minutes with tech support, who came to the conclusion that I had to leave my computer in SAFE MODE for geinie to work. I protested to a supervisor who told me I had to contact McAfee to get an exception dialed in to allow Genie to work.

Then I found this site. It seems that Genie doesn't work on Win 10. Shame on you, Netgear.

I tried the solution proposed by Dexter JB, and it WORKED!!!!!

Thank you Dexter JB, you are the only person at Netgear that seems to know what they are doing. Please tell your tech support guys the real story so they don't have to flounder around and have useless suggestions, better yet, Netgear should re-write Genie so it works!

Message 201 of 273
LtScythe
Guide

@DexterJB

Alright so after some time fiddling around with it I was finally able to get an older version of genie to work with the Driver trick you showed in a previous post, but now its saying that my router is not supported, but when I check the list its on there. I have the Nighthawk AC3200 R8000, is there any way to get around this?

rns.jpg

Message 202 of 273
Nr7000
Aspirant

I am back and having the same problem. I got a notification that i was due for firmware update. Now nothing is working!!! Starting to get pissed. Have they still not solved this yet? Is anyone actually working on this? Or do I need to return my router and get a linksys?

Message 203 of 273
BelmontJohnny
Aspirant

Was there any response or resolution to this?  Have the same issue.

Message 204 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LtScythe,

I was able to do my own test and did not encounter any errors. Please make sure that the router is using the latest firmware. If it is, try performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the device. You may find some helpful links below.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 205 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Nr7000,

1. Have you tried the temporary work around of replacing the drivers of the new version of the NETGEAR Genie program?

2. You can still perform the firmware update without the NETGEAR Genie program. You may refer to the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

3. The cause of the issue was just recently discovered. The fix is currently being worked on by engineering.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 206 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BelmontJohnny,

I have provided a response on your post from the other thread.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/Netgear-Genie-Crashes/td-p/966767/page/5

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 207 of 273
Nr7000
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

I spoke to technical support and he told me to just log directly onto the router and do the firmware update from there. The software is in the router. I just deleted the Genie software and when I get notification through email I will log on directly.

Message 208 of 273
mjpanicali
Aspirant

This is really unacceptable.  I may very well return the router to Amazon as the junk isn't working.  Amazon can work it out with Netgear.  Perhaps a few 1 star ratings will get their attention.

Message 209 of 273
DcSpirou
Aspirant

Hello to all and to all, please excuse my English because this is a translation. I have myself a problem with Netgear Genie whose several versions I tried (of 2.4.12 to the last version 2.4.20). My problem is not an error of launch of the program which dashes(launches) him(her) very well, only concerns(marigolds), it is that when is I restart the PC or if I him(her,it) put out(switched off) and relights him(it), Netgear Genie does not dash(launch) any more in the starting up. Thank you if somebody knows the problem, I am under Windows 10 Professional 64 Bits.

I forgot to tell you that I have R7000 and that with Windows 8.1 it worked very well, but since I installed Windows 10 there partition and formating my SSD, Netgear Genie launches well but does not launch automatically in the restart or by putting out(switching off) the PC and relighting him(it) later or later.

Cordially

Message 210 of 273
jwedwards
Aspirant

I have successfully installed v2.4.20 on Windows 10 but it won't start up in the system tray even though autostart is on. Any ideas?

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 211 of 273
LtScythe
Guide

And again you aren't understanding the fact that your little web login page doesnt work for me, your router login page not available, use IP Adress, **bleep** is unavailable, I am sick of playing this back and forth game, Netgear get your **bleep** together and fix the F****** problem, enough workarounds this is unacceptable, keep going this route you'll end up like D-Link, and your customers will take their business elsewhere.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 212 of 273
src243
Aspirant

I uninstalled. Then reinstalled. then uninstalled . reinstalled as administrator. sitll crashes when starting.

Message 213 of 273
RUSTYDUCK
Aspirant

I am having a problem with wired access as a result of accepting a firmware update recommendation from Netgear from an email sent 2/2/16. Also, as a result, Netgear Genie will not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled from http://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx per suggestion - three times - and still comes the failure. 1) It is showing "unidentified network/no internet" for my wired connect and 2) still no Netgear genie functionality. How can I get both issues resolved?

Message 214 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RUSTYDUCK,

1. Were you able to successfully complete the firmware update?

2. What is the model number and firmware version of your router?

3. Have you tried resetting the router after the firmware update?

4. What is the operating system of the computer that is experiencing the issue with the NETGEAR Genie?

5. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed on that computer?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 215 of 273
LtScythe
Guide

Well now my router is just not working only 2 lights that are on got no wi fi points to connect to, my provider is fine i can connect directly but nothing with the router, this will be my last post here since i now have to get another router and i have just had enough with netgear, **bleep** it good luck in the future if you keep selling **bleep** products like this
Message 216 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LtScythe,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 217 of 273
drraz
Aspirant

Mine does the same thing. I have a NEW computer and have never had a Netgear router before, so this was a clean install of version 2.4.16. It opens and then immediately crashes. Can't use the router so far. 

Message 218 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @drraz,

Have you tried performing the work around? If not, you may follow the steps below.

1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
3. Delete the drivers folder.
4. Download the drivers for the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6Z0xTX3d3SVFLZ0k/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.
6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
7. Paste the drivers folder.
8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 219 of 273
tamiB
Aspirant

I found that my old router WNDR 3400v2 is not compatible with Windows 10.  I purchached R7000 and hoped that Genie would work but it didn't first.  But I tried this method and it works!!!  I really missed Genie.  I also could download Gene on my Blackberry Z30.  I have Surface Pro 3 upgrated to Windows 10.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley LOL

Message 220 of 273
JimC_WA
Guide

Thanks for this - it worked for me!!!   🙂     Everything else I tried failed!

Message 221 of 273
Copepe
Aspirant

I just tried this for the fourth time and I get the same result: This program has stopped working. Any other suggestions?

This is a brand new Asus UX303UB with Windows 10 preinstalled. However, my old notebook that ran on Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10 has Network Genie installed and works fine.

Message 222 of 273
JimC_WA
Guide

I am sorry to hear the solution that worked for me hasn't for you. I have a new Dell XPS 13 with reinstalled Windows 10 and nothing I did until I followed the suggestion above worked.  Like you say, I  have an older laptop with but with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7) and it did and continues to work with Netgear Genie.  I don't know what else to suggest.....  😞

Message 223 of 273
YourKidding
Tutor

Should be, but It has not worked for me. I tried to reinstall, several times, no go.

Windows10  Just completed a reinstalled

Message 224 of 273
YourKidding
Tutor

Been there, done that this should work also but nothing.

Message 225 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7