bebb
Aspirant

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

doesn't work for me.

Message 251 of 273
bebb
Aspirant

Had to do as Dexter on the support team suggested with the addition of one suggestion 5.1. found elsewhere...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
3. Delete the drivers folder.
4. Download the drivers from the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6bEVUbmxtUTY0MW8/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.

5.1.  DELETE NETGEAR_PLC_L2_API.dlL.  SAVE libntgr_api.dll ONLY!!!!!
6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
7. Paste the drivers folder.
8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 252 of 273
NoNegotiation
Aspirant

Diddnt work 😞

Message 253 of 273
kryzkrozz
Aspirant

I only deleted the drivers. Now it works...

Message 254 of 273
guy451
Aspirant

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

I've got Windows 10 on a Dell Inspriron 7359. Downloading the latest app did not work.

I got the error trying to open the app.

Deleting the drivers and replacing one of them did work for me. 

Same instructions as above:

Had to do as Dexter on the support team suggested with the addition of one suggestion 5.1. found elsewhere...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
3. Delete the drivers folder.
4. Download the drivers from the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6bEVUbmxtUTY0MW8/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.

5.1.  DELETE NETGEAR_PLC_L2_API.dlL.  SAVE libntgr_api.dll ONLY!!!!!
6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
7. Paste the drivers folder.
8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Message 255 of 273
DrAlvinNemesis
Initiate

What a BS way to have to run a product.

NETGEAR fix this so there is a straightforward download and install

Message 256 of 273
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Mine worked like a dream yesterday to go from 2.4.16 to 2.4.20 and appears to be much quicker in loading, running etc.

They have certainly improved something.

My PC is Windows 10 Pro, but there is 1 quirk as Genie is listed as 2.4.18 in 'Program and Features'. (The 'about' is okay).

I have posted here as it was an easy update in case some of you having had problems with getting to 2.4.16, MAY be reluctant to update again.

Good Luck.

Oh!. The 'quirk' above was put in a separate post an hour or so ago. Again for readers of this post, just FYI.

Message 257 of 273
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Guy451, I tried your steps and they did work, but Genie does not startup automatically with windows 10. I have to start it manually. Has anyone been able to get it to start automatically?

Message 258 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @txfeinbergs,

Some programs may not auto start due to the Windows UAC (User Account Control) since they require admin rights. A work around for this is to use the Windows Task Scheduler. You may follow the steps below as reference.

1. Click on the search icon on the task bar and type "task scheduler" then open the program.

2. Click on the "Create Task..." on the right hand side then another windows will pop up.

3. Under the General tab, name the task according to your preference. Then make sure the box "Run with Highest Privileges" is checked.

4. Click the Triggers tab and click New on the bottom left. Select the option "At log on" then you may specify for All users or for a specific user only then click OK.

5. Click on the Actions tab and click on New. Select start a program then browse for the location of the NETGEAR Genie application (normally found under C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin). Then click OK.

You can check this link as additional reference.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 259 of 273
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Okay, that worked. One last request. Is it possible to start it minimized i.e. so it goes to the system tray automatically. I thought that was the way it used to work, but I can't find an settings menu anymore in the app at all. I definitely learned somethihng though. I never knew that schedular existed - so thanks for that.

Message 260 of 273
Retired_Member
Not applicable

i.e. a command line argument to start minimized would work if one exists.

Message 261 of 273
Datagg
Star

Page http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx for PC Download shows 404 not found. 

Message 262 of 273
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@Datagg wrote:

Page http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx for PC Download shows 404 not found. 

Works for me .....

Message 263 of 273
Datagg
Star

Still 404 for me.  I grabbed it from another download site. 

Message 264 of 273
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@Datagg wrote:

Still 404 for me.  I grabbed it from another download site. 

Still working for me ... try rebooting your PC.

Message 265 of 273
thefboy
Aspirant

Okay, that worked. One last request. Is it possible to start it minimized i.e. so it goes to the system tray automatically. I thought that was the way it used to work, but I can't find an settings menu anymore in the app at all. I definitely learned somethihng though. I never knew that schedular existed - so thanks for that.

I've worked it out.

Follow all the steps given but paste this  "C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe" -mini -redirect       into the box instead of pointing to program.

It will give you an error saying you can't put arguments in this box and asks you if you wish to proceed. You click yes then it puts -mini -redirect into the arguments box for you.

Reboot and it all works as it should.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe" -mini -redirect

Message 266 of 273
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Awesome! Thanks!

Message 267 of 273
wgblondel
Aspirant

Hi.

I try to install Netgear Genie on a Windows 10 64bit machine but the installer won't run.

I downloaded it multiple times from Netgear's website on multiple computer but I have the same error every time.

"NSIS Error

Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy."

Please fix that.

Message 268 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @wgblondel,

Please try downloading the installer on another device/computer then transfer it to that computer and run the installer. Please keep us posted on the result.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 269 of 273
lukudav
Initiate

I have the same error message as @wgblondel. @DexterJB's suggestion does not work. Win 10 64-bit.

Message 270 of 273
lobosmm
Aspirant

Genie 1.2.0.10

Windows 10

I'm trying to uninstall Genie as it is constantly eating 60% of the CPU.  Uninstall fails and reports the uninstaller is incompatible with the OS

Message 271 of 273
JuanEdo88
Aspirant

Put your  Netgear model at this link http://www.netgear.com/support/?cid=gwmng then download the programm

Message 272 of 273
Blase63
Aspirant

All the "answers" for Windows 10 and GENIE issues are crap.  Assuming you have Wi-Fi and are on the internet, forget downloading the Genie app altogether  and get to all the "GENIE" functions by just typing www.routerlogin.net...then username admin password password.  BAM !  All the "Genie" functions pop-up as a web page for password changes, parental controls, designation of 5ghz, etc...took me 2 days of playing around to find this solution....it was, of course buried in the owners manual for some other fix

Message 273 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7