Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BobP01, @tomdaltonz, and @carll76,

Thank you for providing the information. I recommend keeping the 2.4.12 version installed in the mean time. I will post on this thread if there is an update for the NETGEAR Genie program or you may check for updates yourself to see if there is something later than 2.4.16.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 26 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Thinus,

I believe 2.4.12 worked for the others. Are you getting an error message? Have you tried installing on another Windows 10 computer?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 27 of 273
Fenzitter
Aspirant

This older version appears to have worked for me. I'm a little leery of updating it going forward. Without a working Genie app, I couldn't update my Parental Controls, among other limitations, so I'm actively looking for non-Netgear alternatives, if anyone has any recommendations. I know the "experts" like alternatives from Asus, Linksys and Trendnet, but I'm not going to Netgear Nighthawk or any other current release from this support-light organization.

Message 28 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

@Fenzitter  I've just moved from Asus to Netgear...I really shopped around before making a £200 commitment.

On paper specs and listening / reading the forums from all the manufactures I was torn between the R8000 and the fritzbox 7490.. I went for the netgear due to the reports of excellent range...I can't say I'm disapointed.. 

Sure some functionality isn't present that I had on my old Asus but I see this as long term 3 - 5 year investment.

Message 29 of 273
Fenzitter
Aspirant

@carll76 Thanks for the input. I'm just a run-of-the-mill home PC user with teenagers with adventurous minds and far superior technological skills. I just need a router that's user friendly (i.e., robust parental controls and the ability to change SSID passwords with real-time - vs. hours delayed - effect) and doesn't require resetting as frequently as the one I have does. I only wish I needed (and could get) the bandwidth the £200 models are designed to address. I am sure they have the features (and support) that otherwise make them more worthwhile than the basic consumer oriented models, like mine.

Message 30 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

@Fenzitter 🙂

I'm really lucky where I live we have a fibre connection (lived here for 9 years with a very poor 1.5Mbps upload and 0.5Mbps download). The the whole area got upgraded to fibre and I hit 80Mbps download and 20Mbps upload.  My provider is talkng about doubling that within a year and offering (at a huge cost of install) 1Gbps fibre to the home. (I'm not sure I can get work to pay for that 🙂 )

I am really impressed with the Live parental controls on the netgear.  Asus was good but everyone on the network gets the same level of filtering and with my version of router I had ot have software running on one machine all the time to update the IP address (external).

All the best with your quest..

Carl.

Message 31 of 273
Thinus
Star

Hi

It appears my previous reply did not go through. I have the Genie App working on two other w10 machines but my main, and newest w10 machine gives the error and crash on all versions of the Genie download

Message 32 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

Same here.. My surface pro 3 will not run .14 or .16 but my kids winodws 10 lenovo runs both versions....

Message 33 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Thinus,

This seems to be a bug for some Windows 10 devices. Rest assured, we are working on a fix. So, please keep an eye out for the update. However, it's unusual that even the previous version (2.4.12) has not worked for you. Have you done a system or OS update lately? Have you tried performing a system restore?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 34 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

I followed you instructions and still did not work!

Message 35 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

I tried what you suggested and it still crashed the earlier version of Genie. Help

Message 36 of 273
kimella
Aspirant

i installed genie on my win 10 laptop and so far it works fine   I downlaoded genie on my nrand new laptop and i am getting the same message as may of you and  window 10 shuts genie down    Also on my iphone I got it loaded but many of the of the pages wont load Like map ect...   

Message 37 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

the network map takes ages to load on my iphone... 

@kimella wrote:

Also on my iphone I got it loaded but many of the of the pages wont load Like map ect...   

Message 38 of 273
kimella
Aspirant

the only thing i can come up with is my desktop was a windows 10 upgrade  my laptop came with win 10     the iphone  doesnt really matter yet  my tablet i havent tried yet 

Message 39 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

so what is the answer at this point?

Message 40 of 273
kimella
Aspirant

That's the million dollar question! 😀
Message 41 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

Got the Android Galaxy 6 phone and the Android Galaxy Tablet S to download Genie! Still not on the Toshiba Satellite that I just got last week!

Message 42 of 273
Nr7000
Aspirant

Any luck on a fix?

Message 43 of 273
Art_Uro
Tutor

Sorry Dexter, but the problem continue in surface 3 pro windows 10, with the last update form genie download, 5 minutes ago.

I cleaned the register in windows 10 looking for "netgear genie" and delete, and the problem continue after instalation.

Thanhx.

Message 44 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Art_Uro, @Nr7000, @Jrev, @kimella,

Please indicate the devices (brand and model) that experience the issue since I will collate the information to send an inquiry to Engineering. This is a bit odd since other Windows 10 devices are able to run the NETGEAR Genie program just fine. This will help us isolate the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 45 of 273
Thinus
Star

Hi Dexter

My machine is an Alienware X51 R2 running windows ten since August. I have an identical machine at work running windows 8.1. I will try and install Genie on that machine to see if the different OS makes a difference

Thinus

Message 46 of 273
kimella
Aspirant

HP pavilion Windows 10. And my iPhone 5c
Message 47 of 273
kimella
Aspirant

HP pavilion laptop and I phone 5c
Message 48 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

Got the Android Galaxy 6 phone and the Android Galaxy Tablet S to download Genie! Still not on the Toshiba Satellite Laptop w/ widows 10 that I just got last week!

Message 49 of 273
Thinus
Star

Ran the Genie installer on my identical Alienware machine running on w8.1 at work. Installed without any problems and can look at my network with no problems - and I don't even have a netgear router at work.

The problem on my home machine must therefore be the w10 I am running on it

Message 50 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7