Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

Hi @Thinus, @Jrev, @kimella,

Thank you for providing the information. In the mean time, please make sure that the NETGEAR Genie program/app on your devices are up to date for possible fixes.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 51 of 273
kparker5555
Aspirant

I am having the same program. I have tried searching and deleting everything with "Netgear" in it and have followed all of the download links in this thread and still have the same problem. The problem is not fixed for everyone. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop. Just bought with Windows 8.1 installed, did the upgrade to Windows 10. Have nothing else on the PC at this point. This was my first new software install so I don't know what could be conflicting with Netgear besides Windows 10 itself.

Please help.

Message 52 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

hI @kparker5555,

The situation has already been brought up to Engineering. I will be providing an update to this thread as soon as I have a response.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 53 of 273
Thinus
Star

I have since upgraded my work PC to windows ten and can confirm that the Netgear Genie app no longer works on it. It is therefore definitely an issue with w10 as it worked under w8.1

Message 54 of 273
Nr7000
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

My machine is a HP Envy27 all in one. I was running 8.1 PRO and updated to 10. After the update, Genie seemed to be working fine until I performed Genie update. Now when it starts up, message pops up and says that program has stopped working and explorer is closing.

Thanks

Message 55 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Nr7000,

Please try installing the previous versions of the NETGEAR Genie program. You can use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=jG24n7WMuV

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 56 of 273
Jrev
Tutor

That seems to work. I will update as needed
Message 57 of 273
Art_Uro
Tutor

Yes, running again in surface 3 pro Windows 10 again 2.4.12 version of genie. thanx a lot. big job.

Waiting for next version.

Message 58 of 273
J4U
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Dexter...the .12 works for me.  The .14 didn't work nor the update to the latest on windows 10. 

Still having issues logging through the opendns though.  Can log onto the sight directy but obviously it is wanting me to go through the genie software to set up the parental control first.  Everything else seems to function fine on .12.

Looking forward to a fix as it seems this has been occuring for some time.

Thanks for the link:

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=jG24n7WMuV

Message 59 of 273
Saminnc
Aspirant

I am having the same problem (10/24/2015). Genie was working fine, even after the Win 10 install. Was in Genie and it said a new version was available which supports Win 10. Did the install, no joy. Deleted all versions, re-downloaded - no joy.  What's a person supposed to do, if a simple network "Genie" device doesn't work?  Are you going to fix the problem?

Message 60 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Saminnc,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured, we are working on a fix for this. In the mean time, you can use the download link below for the previous version (2.4.12) of the NETGEAR Genie.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=4KoWqtKssb

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 61 of 273
bn0ran01
Aspirant

I tried the recommed solusion for the same issue and it does not work on my Windows 10 Pro version.  Any suggestions?

Message 62 of 273
tomdaltonz
Star

Have you tried using the compatability troubleshooter on the program prior to installing it?  I think I installed mine using Windows 7 settings.

Message 63 of 273
bn0ran01
Aspirant

@tomdaltonz wrote:

Have you tried using the compatability troubleshooter on the program prior to installing it?  I think I installed mine using Windows 7 settings.

@tomdaltonz wrote:

No I have not I will try it now thank you

Message 64 of 273
bn0ran01
Aspirant

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @Saminnc,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured, we are working on a fix for this. In the mean time, you can use the download link below for the previous version (2.4.12) of the NETGEAR Genie.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=4KoWqtKssb

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Dexter,  Thank you for your link to version 2.4.12 the it worked and I now have the software installed. B

Message 65 of 273
LadyGator
Aspirant

Just got a brand new HP envy laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. My genie app was working on my prior laptop that I upgraded to windows 10 however it does not work on the new laptop. Crashes every time.

Message 66 of 273
LadyGator
Aspirant

I just uninstalled version 16 and installed version 12 and now it's not crashing 

Message 67 of 273
Fenzitter
Aspirant

This older version fix worked for me but I have to re-download it as a result of trying to upgrade my app, which resulted in the same old Windows 10 incompatibility problem. The problem now, though, is the link provided to download the older version results in a "file not found" result. Can you offer any help?

Message 68 of 273
Fenzitter
Aspirant

Disregard my previous message. I found a more recent message that offered up a good link to version 12, which I've downloaded.

Message 69 of 273
maestro89
Aspirant

This is not a solution - this is all a lot of us see when trying to use your software after the upgrade.   genie2_tray 1122015 72747 PM.bmp.jpg

Message 70 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @maestro89,

Have you tried installing the previous version? If not, you may use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=gRJKu6dWnB

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 71 of 273
Thinus
Star

Bearing in mind that no version works for some of us - refer to previous comments. I have two Dell/Alienware PCs where none of the teweaks described in all of the previous comments works

Thinus

Message 72 of 273
maestro89
Aspirant

yYes I saw that was the way to do it, but it does not work

Message 73 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @maestro89 and @Thinus,

Given that you have tried multiple versions (2.4.12 and 2.4.14) on different Windows 10 devices, I will follow up on the inquiry with engineering.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 74 of 273
cowboy2004
Aspirant

My firmware update for my Netgear Genie R6300 in October 2015 went just fine. Then Microsoft sent out two updates:

-Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3105210) (Successfully installed on 11/3/2015)

-Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3106932) (Successfully installed on 11/3/2015)

After reboot, got the message, "This app can't run on the PC - Netgear Genie does not work on this version of Windows." Genie no longer worked saying it was not compatible to this Windows 10 version. 

So yesterday (Nov 3) I restored the system back before the Windows update and Genie worked just fine again. But since, I have Windows Updates to run automatically, it again installed the above updates today and as before, Genie is no longer compatible.

So is this a Netgear problem or a Windows problem?

Message 75 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7