Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

Hi @cowboy2004,

Thank you for providing your input regarding this situation. As it stands, we are still not able to pinpoint what is causing the issue but the additional information certainly helps us out a lot. I will forward this to the right team so that we can isolate the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 76 of 273
DenRose
Aspirant

Tried the uninstall and reinstall. The program installed but crashe when I tried to run it. I have an R7000

Message 77 of 273
jackalDFL
Aspirant

Yes....tried installing the available d/l from support on a new computer with Windows 10 and program will not run. They offered a v.1 and v.2 and i tried them both to no avail.

Message 78 of 273
jackalDFL
Aspirant

The Moderator should remove the tag "Problem Solved" from this post. As of 08-11-15 it is not solved.

Message 79 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DenRose,

Have you tried installing the version 2.4.12? If not, you may use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=k6XWUPGRaj

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 80 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jackalDFL,

1. Is it the version 2.4.12 that you have tried?

2. Have you tried on another Windows 10 device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 81 of 273
jackalDFL
Aspirant

Hi Dexter;

Its actually 2.4.16.0 that I downloaded from Netgear Support

Message 82 of 273
jackalDFL
Aspirant

okay so I followed the link you provided to DenRose and got the.12 version and it is working. The version on the support server is fubar.

Message 83 of 273
AlessioC
Aspirant

Followed all discussions, I have 2.4.16 working fine on WIN 10, BUT this was installed and working before I upgraded WIN 7 to WIN 10, so in fact I didn't have to install Genie directly on WIN 10. The same was with another computer where I installed 2.4.14 on WIN 8.1 before upgrading to WIN 10. The problem came up when trying to install 2.4.16 in order to upgrade 2.4.14. Tryed everything with no success. By now I can control the network from the working PC.

Both PC's are up to date with Windows 10.

It seems to me there is defintely a problem with the installation process. Furthermore I noticed that when listing installed applications on System Control Panel, for Genie the system is not able to quantify occupied space.

Hope the problem will solved sooner or later.

Message 84 of 273
anonvt
Aspirant

I just got my netgear router today and tried installing Netgear Genie which displays "NETGEAR Genie has stopped working" "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close sthe program and notify you if a solution is aviable." I tried troubleshooting it through windows already but it doesn't work, and reinstalling did nothing. I'm on windows 10 , fully updated with all my drivers and routers firmware. Hopefully this can be looked at and fixed, seems I'm not alone.

Message 85 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AlessioC and @anonvt,

We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Rest assured, we are working on a fix. As a temporary work around, please download and install the previous version of the NETGEAR Genie. You can use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=vkTGvqJA1f

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 86 of 273
sjcs
Aspirant

I have 2 Windows 10 machines, 1 x Windows 10 Home and 1 x Windows 10 Pro and Genie was working happily on both. After MS released Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3), Genie was uninstalled during the Home version update due to a incompatibility issue, however, Genie version 2.4.16 is working without issue on the Windows 10 Pro. I have downgraded the Win 10 Home machine to Genie Version 2.4.12 until the next release.

Event log post Windows update on the Win10 Home system is below:

Faulting application name: NETGEARGenie.exe, version: 2.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x55ba05d8
Faulting module name: wpcap.dll, version: 4.1.0.2001, time stamp: 0x4c24dd97
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001b345
Faulting process ID: 0x1db0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d11f4eebc05f4f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wpcap.dll
Report ID: 59def3dd-90d5-490b-b9ac-646b601af0c1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I hope this info is helpful....

Stephen

Message 87 of 273
OpinionatedLady
Aspirant

Just wanted to let you know I'm another Windows 10/Dell user who upgraded to version 16 yesterday and immediately lost the Genie, so I was happy to find this thread in which the links to version 12 are provided.  It appears to be working fine.

Message 88 of 273
RMJhome
Aspirant

I too have precisely the same problem which occurred following a windows 10 update.  Uninstall /re-install does not work!

Message 89 of 273
RMJhome
Aspirant

Just tried the 'old version' fo Genie.  It works.

Message 90 of 273
JimmyK4
Aspirant

Whe I follow the link you provided, I get Setup V1.0.0.10.exe

How do I tell if I get the latest version you suggested?

I have tried multiple installations.  Each time was after removing previous versions.  Every time NetGenie starts and gets to the point where is directs me to plug in the device.  After doing so the dialog goes away and there  is no indication NetGenie is running. 

Whe I try to start NetGenie, I get the spinning indicator to wait, which quickly goes away, but NOTHING happens.

Message 91 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JimmyK4,

It is possible that you are installing a driver for a USB adapter instead of the NETGEAR Genie version that allows you to monitor and manage your router. You can go to http://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx to download the latest version of the program. If you are using Windows 10 and experiencing some issues with the latest version, you can use the download link below for the previous version.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=jlafHBVmpD

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 92 of 273
gailparz
Aspirant

Hi,

Net genie worked with W10 until the latest Windows upgrade that we have no control over.  It's called Window 10 Insider.  I received a message that Genie was removed because it was incompatible with windows 10 and to contact netgear for an update. Based on what I've been reading, nobody is able to use the genie after this latest update from windows that we have no control over.

Message 93 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gailparz,

It is possible that the latest Windows 10 updates do not work well with the NETGEAR Genie program. As a temporary work around, you may use the download link below for the previous version of the program.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=jlafHBVmpD

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 94 of 273
gailparz
Aspirant

Thanks. I'll save the link. I went through System and went back to the previous Windows build. It put the Genie back in the program list and icon back on my desktop. It shows as being on in the task manager but the program will not open.

Message 95 of 273
gailparz
Aspirant

I reinstalled the previous version from the link and everything is fine and dandy.  It works with Windows 10 just not the new Windows 10 Insider update. thanks!

Message 96 of 273
Art_Uro
Tutor

Hi Dexter and others one. Some days ago Microsoft installed the last update for the tablet Surface Pro 3, from Windows10 Home, to Windows 10 Pro. I had the 2.4.12 version installed of Genie, and it continued running ok.
Today I've tested the 2.4.14 install and don't run, crash. It give the usual error.
After uninstallation of 2.4.14 I've reinstalled the 2.4.12 version of Genie, and it run again ok.
Thanx.

Message 97 of 273
DanGa
Aspirant

Same problem as others.  Network Genie will not fully install  with Windows 10.  Very annoying.

Message 98 of 273
JimmyK4
Aspirant

As discussed in previous posts, the latest version of Genie won't install.

I also tried a previous version (.12) and it did install.  However, I still cannot get it to recognise the WiFi adapter and connect to the network.  The LED lights up on the adapter, but when you try to connect to the (WiFi) network you get the dreaded spinning circle for a very long time.  THEN it finally asks me to connect the ethernet cable because it can't find it.

Of course there is no ethernet cable, which is why I bought this adapter.

Did the un-install process they insisted upon remove the device drivers?

Message 99 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JimmyK4,

1. What is the model number of your adapter?

2. Are there other wireless devices able to connect to the WiFi?

3. Have you tried re-installing the drivers for the adapter?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 100 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7