mrawmiller
Aspirant

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

I just tried the link and still getting the Stopped working message

Message 102 of 273
mrawmiller
Aspirant

i AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE EVERYONE ELSE IS HAVING. WE HAVE FOLLOWED EVERY LINK PROVIDED IN THIS THREAD. WE ARE DOWNLOADING THE GENIE DOWNLOAD LINKS FROM THIS THREAD. IT JUST ISNT WORKING

Message 103 of 273
DrewFromCA
Aspirant

Hi Dexter:

I have the same problem.  I installed the genie yesterday from your website on a brand new HP laptop with factory installed Win10.  No luck.  Win10 program compatibility returns "incompatible program."

Message 104 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mrawmiller and @DrewFromCA,

Please try using the download link below for the previous version of the NETGEAR Genie program.\

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=mw8FeUc7cA

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 105 of 273
Saminnc
Aspirant

Any update on when the latest Netgear Genie compatible with Win 10 and the Nighthawk X8 (AC5300) Smart W#iFi Router will be available?  I logged into my router last night, saw there was an update to the Genie, the file resources said it would be compatible with Win 10 and the Nighthawk X8 router, but no joy!  It didn't work, would not even come up to become stable.  Need to know ASAP because I'm getting ready to into my new Nighthawk X8 router. Thanks! (Saminnc - 12/2/2015)

Message 106 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Saminnc,

We currently do not have any ETA for the next update. Have you tried temporarily installing the previous version of the program? If not, you may use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=EeXIfhBwAd

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 107 of 273
fishdude100
Aspirant

1) I understand this is a windows 10 issue, but those vampires in Redmond don't care about this.  They're too busy telling me to use freaking Cortana......

2) I wiped every single instance of Netgear from my computer and installed this latest version of the Genie.  I also did a factory reset on the router as well.

3) The program is no longer crashing every 10 seconds, but it's not connecting to the internet

4)  Tried direct plug-in from my computer to the router, but no internet connection  The Netgear router page, which actually pops up, is telling me no ethernet is plugged into the router (ethernet cable is brand new and works when I plug directly into the cable modem)

5) Tried connecting via wireless and I get limited connectivity message with no access to the internet.

Any suggestions, aside from buying an Apple, would be appreciated here.  This Nighthawk quickly became a very expensive paper weight...

Message 108 of 273
tomdaltonz
Star

Thanks Dexter, I think everybody is back to using version 12 at this point.

Is Netgear planning to continue to support the devices that run the Genie software?  In other words, will Netgear eventually provide an update that will work for Windows?

0h it's great that the previous version is working, but since it has been upraded more than once I assume it has bugs or limited functionality that the updates were designed to correct.

When will this issue be fixed?

Message 109 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @fishdude100,

1. What is the model number of your router?

2. Is the Internet light (planet icon) lit up on the router after you connected it to the modem? If yes, what color is it?

3. Can the computer go online when connected directly to the modem?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 110 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tomdaltonz,

We are in the process of working on a fix for this specific issue but we cannot provide any ETA for the next update yet. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 111 of 273
pherring100
Tutor

1. What is the model number of your router?

It’s a modem from Comcast cable.  Arris

2. Is the Internet light (planet icon) lit up on the router after you connected it to the modem? If yes, what color is it?

No, it does not light up.  I purchased a new Ethernet cable and that cable works when I connect my computer directly to the modem.

3. Can the computer go online when connected directly to the modem?

Yes, I have no problem whatsoever when connected directly to the modem.

Message 112 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pherring100,

1. Are you also encountering an issue with the NETGEAR Genie program with your Windows 10 computer?

2. What is the model number of your NETGEAR device?

3. If the Internet light on the router does not light up when you connect it to the modem, I suggest that you perform a loop back test to make sure the Internet port on the router is functional. You may refer to the instructions below:

- Connect one end of a working Ethernet cable to one of the LAN (1-4) ports on the router and connect the other end to the WAN (Internet) port of the router. Both the Internet light (planet icon) and the corresponding port light should light up. If no lights will come up, try moving the Ethernet connection to another LAN port or try using another Ethernet cable for isolation. If no light comes on then it is possible that the Internet port is broken.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 113 of 273
tyanjarosy
Aspirant

Re: genie installer/windows update

I recently got the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3000 X6 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R7900), and it has been working great. I love the Netgear Genie, but windows did an update a few days ago and now everytime I try to open the Netgear genie I get the windows message that the Netgear genie has stopped working. I tried uninstalling and re-installing and get same exact error. Do you know what could be causing this error, or how I can fix it?

AnnMarie

Message 114 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tyanjarosy,

There may be some components on some Windows 10 updates that do not work well with the latest version of the NETGEAR Genie program. We are working on a fix for this. In the mean time, you may use the download link below for the previous version that works with Windows 10.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=aumU9Vb284

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 115 of 273
IcemanAz
Tutor

Ive been having this exact same issue since i bought my router a couple months back. Ive called support twice and got put on hold for over twenty minutes the first time, and got hung up on the second time. This has been a really bad customer service experience so far. I gave up trying to resolve the issue over the phone so now im just looking through forums with no solution still. I keep getting the uninstall and reinstall answer but that does not work. I am also running windows 10.

Message 116 of 273
IcemanAz
Tutor

This link worked! Thanks!

Message 117 of 273
terrybass
Aspirant

same thing here. Deleted everything that had anything to do with netgear genie, restarted my computer and the same thing again. As soon as it comes on the screen windows pops up and says it quit working.

Also, it works on my other computer ( I didn't update it) but now when I try to log in it says that the  netgear router or it is not

not found or not supported.

Message 118 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

... doesn't work!

Message 119 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

LINK NOT VALID??!!!

Message 120 of 273
highdef2012
Tutor

Had a problem with my laptop, so had to reload Windows 8.1 as well as the Windows 10 "update".

Now, as others have mentioned, my Netgear Genie is no long working and is having compatibility issues.

I've tried running compatibility with Windows 7, 81. and 10 and none will allow access even after removing/

reinstalling 12 times.

I sure miss the Genie, and hopefully you folks at Netgear can get us back to enjoying it again.

netgear fail.jpgNetgear fail 2.gif

Message 121 of 273
uffgnu14
Luminary

Hi

I'm, like "highdef2012 ‎ 2015-12-10 02:38 PM" getting "Stopped working"  with new Genie 2.4.18

on windows 10 Home.

Regards,

Ulf

Message 122 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @highdef2012 and @uffgnu14,

Please try installing the latest version (2.4.20) of the NETGEAR Genie program and check if it works.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 123 of 273
Thinus
Star

Makes no difference - still the same crash after running the program. I have now tried all versions from .12 to this latest one in all compatability modes.

Crashes both my Alienware W10 machines

Thinus

Message 124 of 273
uffgnu14
Luminary

Hi

Where can I find Genie 2.4.20 ?

Regards,

Ulf

Message 125 of 273
Announcements