Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear wnr614 "block services" is not working

rlb41
Aspirant

netgear wnr614 "block services" is not working

Hi,

We (four) are sharing 2 Mbps internet bandwidth using NETGEAR wnr614 router in our house, one of my brother start to download torrents other three are not even able to browse, so i have tried to block services using this below KB with "scheduled mode" 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24054/~/how-do-i-block-services-from-the-internet-on-m...

tried both with "Per schedule" and "Always" mode in "Advanced"block services"

but its not working. is there anyway to solve this bandwidth sharing or blocking ports as per schedule base?

Thanks

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: netgear wnr614 "block services" is not working

Unfortunately, the WNR614 does not support QoS, so there's no way to limit the bandwidth used by your brother.  You will need a different router.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

While BitTorrent does run on a few standard ports, it can technically run on any port, so it's notoriously difficult to block.  You may simply have to ask your brother to lay off with the torrenting or schedule it the downloads for late nite.

Message 2 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

I know blocking ports is not good idea but atleast blocking the port can share the internet for some while, and he's not going to accept to stop his torrent download ,thats why i came here to find a solution. just limiting bandwidth to his ip alone will work but this NETGEAR WNR614 doesn't has the feature. but The "block services" feature is not working unknown.:S

is "block services" a dummy feature in "netgear wnr614" ?

Message 3 of 14
TheEther
Guru

I've never used the WNR614.  I couldn't find any mention of port blocking in the online manual, but if you see it on the router, then it should work.

But I don't think you understand the futility of blocking Torrent.  If your brother knows how Torrent works, he can simply configure it run on port 80, which is the standard port for http.   Short of completely blocking your brother's Internet access, you are going to lose the battle with your brother.   You'll have to work out an agreement.

Message 4 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Use the logs to see what sites he visits .....Then Black mail him.

Message 5 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

@TheEther I know how torrent works with port no. but my brother doesn't so tried to use the internet sharing more or less equally. And

my brother using an torrent app in android mobile called "utorrent pro" its default port no. is 6881 i have added the port number "Netgear WNR614" under "Advanced" >> "security" >> "block services" used as both "TCP and UDP" and tried with "Per schedule" and "always"  mode but the feature provided in the below link as well as in wnr614 model are same but its not blocking the ports, so useless.i tried it on my mobile but its not blocking.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24054/~/how-do-i-block-services-from-the-internet-on-m...

Message 6 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

@searay I know the site name so ? what do you mean "Black mail" ?

you mean block the site he visit to get the torrent file ?

Message 7 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Did you click Apply after blocking the port?  You could also try rebooting the router in order for it to take effect.

If I'm not mistaken, Torrent can use any port from 6881 through 6889, inclusive, so you may need to block the entire range.

Message 8 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

@TheEther Yup clicked the apply button and reboot the router twice. but no effect. 

also i tried to update my router firmware but its already up-to-date firmware.

will try the port range as you said.

Message 9 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

Capture.jpg

restarted the router and checked again. not blocking the download. 

Message 10 of 14
TheEther
Guru

You need to determine if the torrent program is really using those ports.  On a PC or Mac, you can use netstat.  There are similar apps for smartphones.  For example, here is one called Network Connections.

Message 11 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

yeah, i have tried "network scanner" android app which has port scanner. 

playstore >> network scanner

test 1:

I installed this android app in my mobile and scan the network then a list of 5 ip displayed then i select the ip address which is my brother's mobile, by default this app scan port number from 1 to  1024 so checked the app "settings" to change it from "1" to "65535" the result showed "6881" port is open from my brother's mobile's ip address.

test 2:

I have tested this about test in my mobile itself.

installed "utorrent pro" started a torrent download then 

installed "network scanner" and scan network >> select my mobile ip >> scan ports from "1" to "65535" 

results showed the same... "6881" is open.

this port no. is open when the "utorrent pro" app is running otherwise "network scanner" app show no ports open.

Message 12 of 14
rlb41
Aspirant

@TheEther you are right, with the app you refered shows more than 50 ports randomly opening and closing.

port blocking is NOT the right option. 

Thanks for the great support. 

Is there anyway you can provide me to limiting the bandwidth of my brother's mobile or, sharing more or less 

equal bandwidth ?

Message 13 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Unfortunately, the WNR614 does not support QoS, so there's no way to limit the bandwidth used by your brother.  You will need a different router.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7