Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 Wan routers on same network with relay - Internet issue

djizno
Aspirant

2 Wan routers on same network with relay - Internet issue

Hi,
I've got two business locations A & B separated by a road on one network 172.16.30.0/255.255.254.0.
There is two routers (A 172.16.30.1 & B 172.16.30.2) with two different Wan access and a DNS server 172.16.30.72. The two business locations are linked by an ethernet link beetween two gigabit switches. The routeur B is dchp relay from router A.
It seems that a computer on the B side (with this configuration: gateway 172.16.30.2 dns 172.16.30.72) connect to internet using wan on gateway router A 172.16.30.1 ??? So my problem is : if router A is down, all computers on B location can't connect to Internet either gateway B is connected to wan.
How do I achieve such network configuration ??
Here's a network map :

Thanks for your help
Kind Regards
Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

It's not clear exactly what you're attempting here - but - if I understand what you're saying, both buildings lose internet connectivity if the router in building A goes down. You seem to be saying that router A acts as DHCP server for the entire network, with router B being used for DHCP relay to the DHCP server in router A - that could be the cause of your problem - if router A goes down, you have no DHCP server. Try configuring a computer with a static address and then shutdown router A and see if you can ping an external host, if you cant use traceroute to see where the connectivity fails. Incidentally - it is a little unusual to see a DHCP relay setup to point to a DHCP server on the same LAN - I have no idea why you would want to do it - the computers on the LAN will find the DHCP server without it, and it provides no redundancy
Message 2 of 3
djizno
Aspirant

Hi fordem,

You perfectly understood my problem.
I also suspected the DCHP relay as cause of it.

I will setup router B with his own dhcp range not as relay.

Thanks for your advice.

Kind regards
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements