Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR200 IPv6 on LAN

amabirts
Aspirant

BR200 IPv6 on LAN

The topic was raised a while ago, but the only solution provided was to read pages 30-31 of manual. However, having read them before checking here they don’t provide a solution.

The BR200 gets an IPv6 WAN but not on LAN, behind a Netgear Nighthawk router. VPN traffic isn’t IPv6. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: BR200 IPv6 on LAN

@amabirts,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

The BR200 can be fed by an IPv6 on WAN but it can also provide IPv6 on LAN. Is this what you are trying to achieve?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
amabirts
Aspirant

Hi John,

Thanks, that’s exactly it. It shows it has an IPv6 address on WAN, but LAN shows as Not Available. A test for IPv6 of connected devices through VPN connection shows they fail. Either I’m setting it up incorrectly or there’s another issue (changing to DHCP does not resolve issue).

Kind regards,

Steven
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

What is the IPv6 prefix assigned on the BR200 WAN port? If your ISP only assigns a /64 prefix, you can't further subnet. If there is e.g. a /60 prefix, you should be able to create four /64 prefix subnets.

Message 4 of 5
amabirts
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your interest and support.

I’ve checked and it shows /64 - so I suppose that’s as far as I can go. The BR200 is behind our Nighthawk router. Perhaps if their positions were to be reversed and I used the BR200 as our main router and used the Nighthawk as a WiFi AP this might be a better set-up overall. I suspect it may mean taking a hit with throughput as it’s stated as a maximum 924Mb/s and we get around 940 on our 1Gig connection. Not a significant amount - but is the 924 figure quoted real?!

Perhaps I need to review the overall set up.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with regards to the possibilities of what is/isn’t possible.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements