Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR200 can't forward a port no matter what I try :(

Kr4m
Aspirant

BR200 can't forward a port no matter what I try :(

Hi, first post although I've been all over the web (including here) to try to figure out what is going wrong.

I'm not any sort of "pro" when it comes to networking, but, I bought this BR200: 1) to connect to my FiOS service, 2) since I didn't want/need a Wifi AP, 3) because I wanted to isolate Guest network to a different subnet

I was able to accomplish everything I wanted easily with the BR200, except port forwarding and I have no idea what is wrong. All I'm trying to do is add forwarding rules for my IP cameras which I've been able to do on every router I've owned except this one.

For example, if I set up the most basic forward of HTTP to one of my IP cameras, it doesn't work (connection timeout). Nothing shows up in the log either. I also tried adding a variety of Port Triggers and Traffic Rules, but, that didn't help either.

Is there anything I need to do other then set up a port forward rule?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Hmmm, yes ... there was something. Give me a minute please.

Found it.  The current BR200 Firmware Version 5.10.0.5 (also the one for the BR500, and some minor versions before) says this:

===

Known Issues:

NAT loopback does not work in this release. NAT loopback is useful for accessing internal resources by public domain name.
Workarounds: Use one of these workarounds:

• Change device hosts file to map public domain name to local IP when working on the same subnet as a public server.
  • Use a separate DNS server that can handle accessing public resources from an internal network.
  • Downgrade to a previous released firmware with NAT loopback support.

===

Scratch the last suggested workaround, this applies to the BR500 only.

Sorry, I'm compereably "new" back on the BR500/BR200 8-)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Does the BR200 WAN/Internet address as shown on the Dashboard match to the "Google what is my IP address"?

If not, there is another NAT router in front, either as part of your connection, or in the form of the ISP CPE WiFi router? 

Almost forgot: How are you testing the port forwarding: From the wild Internet, or from the LAN(x) via NAT loopback?

Message 2 of 6
Kr4m
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply! To answer your questions.

Does the BR200 WAN/Internet address as shown on the Dashboard match to the "Google what is my IP address"?

Yes, this is confirmed the same.

If not, there is another NAT router in front, either as part of your connection, or in the form of the ISP CPE WiFi router? 

No, the BR200 is connected directly via ethernet right into FiOS ONT.

Almost forgot: How are you testing the port forwarding: From the wild Internet, or from the LAN(x) via NAT loopback?

Actually, no, I always test via a PC or phone on my LAN. Does this not work with this router?

Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Hmmm, yes ... there was something. Give me a minute please.

Found it.  The current BR200 Firmware Version 5.10.0.5 (also the one for the BR500, and some minor versions before) says this:

===

Known Issues:

NAT loopback does not work in this release. NAT loopback is useful for accessing internal resources by public domain name.
Workarounds: Use one of these workarounds:

• Change device hosts file to map public domain name to local IP when working on the same subnet as a public server.
  • Use a separate DNS server that can handle accessing public resources from an internal network.
  • Downgrade to a previous released firmware with NAT loopback support.

===

Scratch the last suggested workaround, this applies to the BR500 only.

Sorry, I'm compereably "new" back on the BR500/BR200 8-)

Message 4 of 6
Kr4m
Aspirant

Wow, that was it!

I didn't even know this was a thing (NAT loopback). Hopefully they will enable this in a future release so it isn't necessary to have to keep reconfiguring the app accessing these devices to use different IP addresses whether I'm on my local network or not. But I'm glad I can access them at all.

Thank you so much for your help!
Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Appears they have some concerns about the performance with NAT Loopback enabled. @YeZ ?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements