Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR200 site-to-site IPSec

bertocar
Initiate

BR200 site-to-site IPSec

I've selected BR500 in model form because there isn't BR200.

I need to create a site-to-site VPN over internet connection.

I've attached a image of the layout.

The PCs of network 192.168.10.x must 'see' PCs of network 192.168.11.x and vice versa.

The main problem is that i cannot replace provider routers but i can fully configure them.

The second problem is that one of the 2 side has dynamic ip address.

I've configured device (A) to redirect UDP ports 500 and 4500 to device (B) BR200.

I've tryed to connect from external to that ports and the traffic is correctly redirected to device (A).

I've configured device (B) BR200 with WAN ip address 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1.

Lan PC on network 192.168.10.x can navigate correctly.

When I configure device (B) BR200 it requests me Remote Gateway but if device (D) BR200 is on a dynamic ip address what value must be inserted?

I've configured device (D) BR200 with WAN ip address 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1.

Lan PC on network 192.168.11.x can navigate correctly.

I've configured device (D) BR200 IPSec to connect to device (A) BR200 but it says Status: Disconnect

How can i solve?

Thank you very much.

network.jpg

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: BR200 site-to-site IPSec

@bertocar,

It would be best if both BR200 on both sites A & B will be set as the main router.  Also, the WAN IP Address on both sites A and B should be a Public IP Address.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA wrote:

It would be best if both BR200 on both sites A & B will be set as the main router.  Also, the WAN IP Address on both sites A and B should be a Public IP Address.  

That's wishful thinking. Reality in a world of triple-play CPE, especially when paired with a top quality phone service or where XGS-PON is deployed, ISP CPE can no longer be replaced. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

....continue here...

Further on, when ISP are feeding the IPTV on a dedicated VLAN, no Netgear router (including the BR200/500) has the basic services allowing to NAT and multicast route to the customers normal internal network and IP subnet. The 1990 style "Enable an IPTV bridge for a port group or VLAN tag group" feature does always require a dedicated port or a dedicated subnet. Utterly useless in a world where STB became highly sophisticated media devices and IoT controllers, including the ability for Airplay or Google Cast - what requires the mobile devices to be on the same network (even if Bonjour resp UPnP SSD are multicast based) of course,

ISP provided CPE are lightyears ahead. And most customers hare are not willing to drop the VoIP based "fixed network" service (voice is also on a dedicated VLAN, there is a BGP session for each CPE just for VoIP for reliability and redundancy, and further on the CPE does also offer SIP for the local [W]LAN so customer supplied VoIP devices can be added beyond of the POTS lines on the CPE, too.

These are the reasons why the classic consumer router market is virtually dead here. 

Re-thinking the OP @bertocar set-up and config, the BR200/500 does real IPsec site-to-site - this is difficult because of the additional NAT, the classic IPsec required ESP protocol which is neither NAT friendly (and in many case simply not allowed by the ISPs here again!), probably lack of NAT-T support on the BR200/500 and well possible limited "IPsec pass-through" on the ISP CPE (typically for IPsec sessions initiated on the LAN side only).

For this kind of deployments, L2TP IPsec is required and the de-facto standard for IPsec connections between consumer/SOHO Internet connections.

Look @DaneA ... I have offered my know-how several times - Netgear was not interested in my 20+ years experience of VPN and security appliance design and consulting, nobody with NTGR had the but to send me two BR500 back then to test, again no BR200 - so there you go. Oh and the BR500 units I bought with my own hard earned money went back to the distributor as not fit for purpose. Afraid, Netgear has no plan on how to design and implement such a router to today's real-world requirements. Instead, I'm told that [...censored...] well, better send me a PM if you are interested. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements