Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 Insight VPN unstable

Retired_Member
Not applicable

BR500 Insight VPN unstable

I've had a 3 site "Instant" VPN setup using these garbage BR-500.  It was quick and easy day 1, and 2 weeks later, magically it dropped.  As with many on this board, the Netgear "support" was total crap.  Made me factory reset, re-update firmware, placed me on hold while they went for lunch, then coffee. I've watched 4 fimware "updates" for these models and they're completely hit and miss.  they stay up for a bit, then poof, they drop.  You don't have to do a thing for it to come back up.  No, it's not the ISP, it's random fromthe client's sites to my office.  We've moved the routers around like musical chairs to establish a pattern, we've introduced new routers to the mix to see if it helped (which of course just ended up costing us the price of additional units).  We're moving to DLINK products which won't rely on a cloud service.  I have learned my lesson and will NEVER sell or use Netgear again.  Absolute junk which Netgear should be sued for.  Crap for tech support - all they do it put you on hold and ask you to reset, until you get angry and frustrated and ultimately give up.  Absolute crap!

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Retired_Member,

We do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We do have some issues with the connectivity but as of 4:40 PM, Tuesday, 3/17/2020, PDT.

Current Status: Servers are normal, but connection devices may need actions to reconnect.
Please help to draft a public note.

Notes:
• VPN server operations are restored to normal, we apologize for the inconvenience.
• If your VPN group did not recover automatically, please try one of the following options

1. If the VPN client does not connect back automatically, manually log out, then log in to try again.
  2. If the site-to-site connection between the routers does not re-establish, browse to the local GUI of the BR500 router https://<ip_of_BR500>/support.html, and switch the connection to any available VPN server IP address in the list that is near your location. You only need to do this from any one of the BR500s in each VPN group to re-establish the connection through the selected VPN server.
  3. If these steps do not resolve the issue, use the Insight app or Insight Cloud Portal to restart the BR500 routers.
  4. Finally, please contact tech support

Please subscribe to this thread for updates.

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're clearly one of those idiots from the phone tech support. You clearly didn't read the message. Also, I posted that message yesterday afternoon, not today. Your "VPN" service goes down frequently, randomly without any notice to the usersother than them having to go to status.netgear.com/insight and even THAT takes you guys forever to update.  NOW you tell me to change settings in my router to other IPs, since clearly you're unable to fix the issues you're having. Then you tell me to call tech support?! I'll hand it to you, you have balls.  Your tech support is crap, a joke, useless, incompetent.  Are there other words I need to convince you that this is crap? You guys trung me along until me "Complimentary" tech support of 90 days was over.  Last time I called in I was asked for a credit card befre speaking to a tech.  You are not sorry "for the inconvenience" - you don't care! It doesn't affect you guys at all. Useless morons.

Message 3 of 4
INICK
Aspirant

For me the site to site connection works again. Unfortunately the Windows client is not working anymore. In the web portal I see my one group. As it should be. In the Windows Clients are two groups. The one real and one ghost talk. Can't delete it because it doesn't appear in the iOS app and the web portal. Unfortunately the support does not answer.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements