Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR500 “Instant VPN”?

John-1
Tutor

BR500 “Instant VPN”?

I want to make sure I'm getting this correctly...

If I buy a pair of BR500 VPN routers for a site to site VPN between 2 offices and if I want to setup and use these BR500's for a site to site VPN I have to pay an additional yearly fee to use these appliances for their intended use?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: BR500 “Instant VPN”?

Hi John-1,

Welcome to our community!

It requires a license for a box to box VPN connection and you may need to pay for it.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
John-1
Tutor

Not only would we have to pay a yearly subscription fee to use the devices for their intended use but without a paid subscription we would not be able to obtain firmware updates for  the appliances.  We've eliminated Netgear as a potential supplier for this project.

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@John-1,

You can still update the firmware and use everything in its features except the VPN site to site. You will only pay if you want to use a site to site VPN connection.

Remote VPN is for individuals that need to securely login to their small business network, remotely and access the network resources.  

Site-2-Site VPN is for businesses with multiple offices that need to connect virtually to support data and resource access for their employees in different locations. 

With the BR500 subscription, you get both: remote VPN and Site-2-Site. Simply choose 1 of the 3 annual plans. (Limited to 10 remote VPN users per BR500). 

1 Year –Insight Instant VPN subscription [Remote + Site-2-Site VPN] $25.00

3 Year –Insight Instant VPN subscription [Remote + Site-2-Site VPN] $67.50

5 Year –Insight Instant VPN subscription [Remote + Site-2-Site VPN] $106.25

Here is the reference.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
John-1
Tutor

@JohnC_V wrote:

@John-1,

"You can still update the firmware and use everything in its features except the VPN site to site. You will only pay if you want to use a site to site VPN connection."

The applicances are marketed as "Instant VPN" appliances, so if one wants to use them for this purpose they have to pay yearly fees, it's a no-go for us, we will use products from another manufacturer.  I really don't see why we should pay yearly fees to use paid for point to point tunnel appliances.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements