Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR500 Inter VLAN rules?

LegitUser
Aspirant

BR500 Inter VLAN rules?

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a BR500 firewall.

Does anyone have experience with firewall rules with port restrictions between VLANs on this?

Are they easy to configure and do they work?

I need to know this because I need to have traffic between printers, servers and clients all on another vlan.

The clients should be able to talk to the printers and servers but only on certain ports, all the other traffic must be blocked.

Is this possible / easily configurable on this device?

Thanks very much for the information.

Thorwald

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: BR500 Inter VLAN rules?

Hi @LegitUser,

Does anyone have experience with firewall rules with port restrictions between VLANs on this?

It seems that you are referring to Extended Access Control List (ACL).  Access Control is supported on BR500 but there is no option to deny/allow port numbers to a specific VLAN.  Kindly read pages 51-55 of the BR500 user manual here about Access Control.

I suggest you to implement Smart Managed Switches like the GC728XP (or Fully Managed Switches like the M4300 series switches) that fully supports ACL.  The Smart Managed Switch or Fully Managed Switch should be connected to the BR500.  You can configure the BR500 as the DHCP server to the VLANs that you will create on the switch.  Then configure Extended ACL on the switch.  For more information about the GC728XP and M4300 series switches, check the links below:

GC728XP Data Sheet

M4300 Series Switches Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @LegitUser,

It seems that you are referring to Extended Access Control List (ACL).  Access Control is supported on BR500 but there is no option to deny/allow port numbers to a specific VLAN.  Kindly read pages 51-55 of the BR500 user manual here about Access Control.

I suggest you to implement Smart Managed Switches like the GC728XP (or Fully Managed Switches like the M4300 series switches) that fully supports ACL.  The Smart Managed Switch or Fully Managed Switch should be connected to the BR500.  You can configure the BR500 as the DHCP server to the VLANs that you will create on the switch.  Then configure Extended ACL on the switch.  For more information about the GC728XP and M4300 series switches, check the links below:

GC728XP Data Sheet

M4300 Series Switches Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LegitUser,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements