Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 VPN Currently Experiencing Intermittent Connectivity Issues - Reply Thread

tetrawest
Apprentice

Re: BR500 VPN Currently Experiencing Intermittent Connectivity Issues - Reply Thread

WTH!

We are trying to have people work from home! That doesn't work when the VPN service is down. None of my VPN is working and hasn't been working for 24 hours now. 

NETGEAR - This isn't a science experiement. You discontinued service on very reliable products (FVS336 & FVS318) and now we have this. And again, you couldn't have picked a worse time. 

Yes I have rebooted

Yes I have tried connecting direct using a PC & Insight

Nothing is working

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 101 of 241

Is there any update on this issue? We are still down today even after rebooting all firewalls.
Message 102 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

I know that its not much help but here is the last update that was provided:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Hardware-VPN-Firewalls-and/BR500-Connectivity-Issue-Subscribe-Here-...

I subscribed to this and it is usually my first check when I have issues.

I have reached out to support for this issue this morning as well, and we gathered logs from one of my BR500's, I was told that I will hear back from them today. I will try to follow up with a post when I have confirmed that the devices are up and stable for a little while.

Message 103 of 241
warsawtech
Tutor

Still down on my routers. Even the IPsec tunnels don't stay up on these routers

Message 104 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

I have noticed that as well. Although with my setup, I was only able to config my side, while the other organization configured their gear. It bounces a couple of times an hour typically.

Message 105 of 241
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Insight VPN service has been restored. You should now be able to re-connect either their Site-to-Site or Client-to-Site VPN connections. You may need to restart their BR500 and/or VPN client in order to re-establish the VPN connection. Please let me know if you have any further issues with the VPN service and we can escalate accordingly.

Message 106 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

VPN is still coming and going. I've rebooted multiple times, both servers. 

Message 107 of 241
eibo
Aspirant

All my customers in South Africa are down again!!

Message 108 of 241
Francis78
Tutor

Hi,

in France too !

We come back several month ago in the same situation.

BR500 + insight cloud = bad solution ( 6 firmware updates in one year !!!)

Good luck...

Message 109 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

Back the FVS336. Down all night. Down right now. I've rebooted and rebooted. The BR500s are talking to the Insight cloud, as I can reboot using the app. But the VPN never reconnects. 

Message 110 of 241
Francis78
Tutor

Hi,

Don't comme back to FVS336 => GUI is not compatible with modern web navigator...

Message 111 of 241
warsawtech
Tutor

Yanked out a pair of BR500 at one clients and put back in FVS336v3 in their place. Got a tunnel up and running with no issues.

Also the latest quirk with the BR500 that started Sunday is that in Insight Portal it can not connect. I have to log in locally and reboot for it to connect. Three of these so far have done this.. All with firmware 5.8.0.1. Oops today makes the fourth to do it. I get NO alerts say router is offine,,,,weird things

Message 112 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

Still down. It seemed to work for short periods of time last night. But would drop the connection. 

I tried the following:

Log off of the VPN client, and log back in, with same results.

Close the client, end the Insight, and virtual VPN adapter processes, and then relaunch the application and tried to connect with the same results.

I rebooted the BR500 with the Insight App, with no change.

This morning, we have no connectivity again, The VPN client is showing that the router is online half of the time and offline half of the time, but there is no connectivity issue at the site.

So far I have tried the following:

I physically rebooted the BR500 this morning, with no change.

I also tried both of the VPN client steps above, with the same issue.

Also after the reboot the option to select my Proxy is now gone.

I will update my ticket with Netgear and let everyone know if I find out anything.

Message 113 of 241
Francis78
Tutor

Hi,

In all cases you must select a proxxy first (adresseIP_router/support.html) and click submit  (on each router you need to connect between us)

After you reboot.

You wait several minutes before you can see a goog link (green) on insight (less if you look in GUI of your router).

Normally it's good... but not since yesterday...

Too much connections because COVID19 ?

All Europe works at home via VPN...

Good luck

Message 114 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

@Francis78 wrote:

Hi,

Don't comme back to FVS336 => GUI is not compatible with modern web navigator...

If you use "Edge" the interface works fine. Chrome has issues with it.

Message 115 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

NETGEAR!

Any update on the server problems?

I may "play around" over the weekend when I have time and my business isn't depending on the VPN service.

Message 116 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

I have reached out to support the last two days to check on the status. I was told that they are aware of the issue and that my ticket has been escalated. I have noticed that in the late evenings and early morning that I can get the VPN client to connect after trying several times, but by typical business hours there is no connection. It really is random as well. I can get a test system to establish the VPN and then try to fire up a client connection with no success.

I have them on fall back Splashtop connections, but the speed and some of the application features are not available. 

I have some very frustrated staff and clients to say the least.

Message 117 of 241
rjwerth28
Guide

Still down...again.
Message 118 of 241
Fuzail
Aspirant

Hi, 

Is there still connectivity issues on the BR500? and is there any idea when this will be resolved?.   The Insight status show last update Wed 18 2020.  

Regards, 

Message 119 of 241
INICK
Aspirant

Nothing works here either. Even with a subscription.

Message 120 of 241
CAWdc
Aspirant

Nope... still issues.  Last night I was able to delete the VPN group via tha app and create a new one.  This gave us connnectivitiy after a little waiting.

This morning the VPN is down again.  Both units appear online but the VPN is showing a red-dashed connection.

I've been dealing with this terrrible product for over a year.  Every time we've been ready to throw it in the trash, it becomes stable for a few months.  Going to look for a stable alternative.

When does the class action start against Netgear?

Message 121 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

I have found that the insight app, and the vpn clients are not accurate, atleast for the time being. I have been able to establish a connection with them showing the device as offline. Level 2 and 3 support emailed to let me know they have been working on my case, and I am currently testing. (I am seeing TTL's that are starting to level out, but earlier they were all over the place) I will try to post an update at the end of the day as well. 

Message 122 of 241
jkfcb1975
Guide

I set mine up with OpenVPN instead and that is still working without trouble.  It's also included with the BR500, try switching to that if you can log into the units for the time being.  

Honestly I'm not sure I will ever use the Netgear VPN connection because it doesn't seem to ever work reliably.  I will let these units run there course and then they will be replaced with another brand... I guess we get what we pay for...

Message 123 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

@jkfcb1975 wrote:

I set mine up with OpenVPN instead and that is still working without trouble.  It's also included with the BR500, try switching to that if you can log into the units for the time being.  

Honestly I'm not sure I will ever use the Netgear VPN connection because it doesn't seem to ever work reliably.  I will let these units run there course and then they will be replaced with another brand... I guess we get what we pay for...

What is really frustrating is that they HAD perfectly operable products, FVS336 & FVS318. They abondoned these and want us to use thier "subscription" service. We not only paid for the devices, we are paying for a service that is causing the problems. 

How much did each of us pay for these BR500 VPN devices? With all of the issues, I have spent FAR more in time trying to get these to work and keep them working. I am looking for alternative manufacturers right now. One brand name company, I can buy their smaller device for $125 per VPN router. 

Message 124 of 241

Netgear - can we please get an update on this ongoing outage? It has literary been unusable this entire week once again. The canned responses of reboot router or change VPN proxies do absolutely nothing. We have 2 branches and several remote employees who have been unable to work.

We need an official response acknowledging this outage and what steps are being taken to resolve the issue once and for all. We have been beta testers for well over a year and it’s not okay.
Message 125 of 241
Discussion stats
Announcements