Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 VPN Currently Experiencing Intermittent Connectivity Issues - Reply Thread

eremo
Guide

Re: BR500 VPN Currently Experiencing Intermittent Connectivity Issues - Reply Thread

I have OpenVPN working for a client computer connection. It doesn't give me a two-way tunnel, but it gives me part of what I need.

Netgear, please don't try to improve the OpenVPN option for the BR500, because it works as it is now.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 151 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

Are you kidding me???

Down AGAIN?

This INSIGHT VPN has an uptime of about 77%. Period.

Message 152 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

Reboot - Reboot - Reboot

Rebooted twice last night to restore the Insight VPN. By 2AM local, the VPN was down again. 545 REBOOT and it is restored. 

Now I have to go manually trigger all of the "automatic" backups that were supposed to run overnight.

BretD - Where is our daily update?

NETGEAR - When will you FIX THESE THINGS? 

Message 153 of 241
eremo
Guide

Netgear -

Please explain why the Insight VPN keeps failing, and what you are doing to stop it from regularly failing. Thank you.

Message 154 of 241
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

Spoke to engineering and they were able to determine the root cause of the VPN issue. They have been rolling out a schedule to reduce the need to bring down the servers for maintenance as well as configuration changes on the server. This will be noticeable over the next few days as more of the proxy nodes will be updated with the changes.

Message 155 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

We have been putting up with the for 6 months. What was the problem and the fix?

Also, the Insight VPN is not "Fully Fixed", or at least the firmware still has issues.

My Insight VPN is up. I can use the Insight App and the Insight Webpage to look at the VPN service. If I log into the Router, it says the VPN is not avaiable and there is no VPN group. It is connected and working, yet the Router reports it doesn't exist. I'll post picture later. 

Message 156 of 241

After dealing with the VPN issues for over a year we have been forced to go to other firewalls. These BR500s have potential but we cannot have constant downtime with the tunnels between offices. The generic answers of reboot firewall or manually connect and change the VPN proxy is not a solution - it works maybe 1 out of 10 attempts.

We wasted so much $ on these devices between constant downtime for our branch offices, remote users, cost of devices, subscription costs, and IT time in babysitting these. These devices and the Insight VPN solutions are not ready for production use - Beta at best.

Best of luck to everyone with these going forward.
Message 157 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

Router Insight VPN pageRouter Insight VPN pageLocal applicationLocal application

Message 158 of 241
INICK
Aspirant

and again the vpn client is down. site to site works but my customers can't connect to the network via vpn client.

Message 159 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

The VPN connection went down AGAIN overnight. Yes, rebooting "fixed" it. But this is CRAZY. Constantly rebooting these devices so they will communicate is ridiculous. 

Message 160 of 241
Francis78
Tutor

Hi,

BR500 is down again and again.

Today, Secure Diagnostic Mode is down too.

I can not choose a server in the list, so i can't connect by myself...

Technical support is out of order because CORONAVIRUS.

I'm in France and I have 3 BR500 => users can't work...

BR500 is a bad product since the beginning

Bred 😧 VPN servers are NOT opérationnal and it is NOT normal. 

Message 161 of 241
INICK
Aspirant

here again everything down again. nothing goes. again. although, you have to count when you can. it's easier. i doubt netgear will be able to do it. maybe after the crisis. only then the subscribers are gone.

Message 162 of 241
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Francis78,

Thanks for the update. In regards to SDM not generating a port number. I am discussing this with engineering, do you have a support case already opened regarding this issue or the VPN issues?

Message 163 of 241
tetrawest
Apprentice

The BR500s went down again overnight, preventing some of our backup systems from operating. This is generally when we notice the overnight VPN  shutdown. 

Message 164 of 241
jmcdpugall
Tutor

Is anyone experience very slow login performace to the Insight VPN client as well as being unable to connect?

For the last hour or so, new client connections are failing but existing ones are fine.

The site to site on for the same VPN group is also fine.

Thanks

Message 165 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

Yes having the same issue. I have one client at a site that cannot connect, while the rest of the staff are working without issue. I have also noticed that there is an issue occasionally while logging into the insight portal. I thought I would try to get around this by adding the sites BR500 to the existing group, but found that I am unable to do that as well. I have sent an update on a newer support ticket that I submitted last week and will try to post an update, if I hear anything back.

Message 166 of 241
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

NathenB,

Few things:

-We did perform maintenance over the weekend for the upcoming Insight 5.9 release. Accessing the portal or mobile app would be impacted during this time.

-In regards to the client not being accessable but others are. I would verify a few things:
*If you try to use the client account on another laptop, do you see the same connection issue? or is the issue only limited to the laptop/computer they are using?
*If the issue is related to the laptop/computer not being accessible. Is there any errors being seen on the client? What happens if you try to close the VPN client and kill the tinc service in task manager. Do you get the same issue when trying to connect again?
*Run the command "route PRINT" in command line. Do you see VPN routes being displayed in the command line or only the local routes?

Message 167 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

Any of the connections that were already active are running fine. Anytime I try to connect a new connection there is a long wait time, and when the connections show they are connected, traffic is not passing. I have tested this with a system onsite and offsite with the same results. What I find interesting is that I never see the prompt to start the Tap-Win32 adapter, which I have always seen in the past. The VPN client when it connects does show the correct subnet, but is not able to pass traffic. 

In the past if I shutdown the Insight Instant VPN and killed the VPN service, and then restarted the application, it would prompt to start the Tap-Win32 adapter, and everything would come back up, as long as there weren't other issues.

The built in diagnostic utility shows no issues, all tests pass with success.

Average ping rate to 8.8.8.8 is 28ms 

After logging in, it took 6 minutes to show my VPN group. Connecting to the group took 1 minute and failed. (With no Windows UAC prompt)

Tried to connect again and took about a minute to show the group, shows connected, with the correct subnet.

The "route print" command is showing a gateway of 10.1.7.95 for the link, but is not passing traffic. 

Message 168 of 241
jmcdpugall
Tutor

Mine can now log in ok, if a little slow, looks as if it should all be working but not passing traffic.  Users that were logged in earlier today are still fine, site to site VPN between 2 sites are passing traffic ok. Issue is only with client vpns that wer not connected when the issue started.

Any further update?

Message 169 of 241
jmcdpugall
Tutor

I have just rebooted both routers in my VPN group and service seems to have been restored.

Not acceptable that the only way to fix the frequent issues is near constant reboots

Message 170 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

This worked for me as well. I did have to kick all of the users temporarily though. After this the login is still kind of long, a couple of minutes, but they did connect. Also I was prompted with UAC, so the virtual adapter started correctly. Odd that it did not prompt until after the BR500 was rebooted.

Message 171 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

VPN down again. Rebooting the BR500 did not resolve any issues today. I am unable to remove the device to rebuild the VPN group, due to an "unknown error". Insight VPN client is taking for ever to login. When it does finally login, it is not showing any VPN groups.

I have updated logs and attached to my existing case ending in 7615.

Message 172 of 241
jmcdpugall
Tutor

Mine is down again as well.

Looks like a backend service failure !!!!!

Cant even successfully log in at the moment.

Message 173 of 241
jmcdpugall
Tutor

Can now log in but VPN Groups have vanished.

This is now causing major issues with my customer

Message 174 of 241
NathenB
Apprentice

The error message received while trying to remove the BR500 from the goup is "An error occurred while processing the request. Try again."

Message 175 of 241
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements