Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BR500 & IPV6 - Dual IPV4 and IPV6 Stacks?

dfilip
Guide

BR500 & IPV6 - Dual IPV4 and IPV6 Stacks?

Dear Netgear Experts,

I have a newbie question for setting up IPV6 support on the BR500 router.  Apologies if the question I am asking is basic.

The BR500 is currently configured for IPV4, is connected to a Motorola SB6141 cable modem.   The BR500 gets a public IP from the cable modem via DHCP.  Everything is working fine for IPV4.

My question is as follows: My cable provider supports IPV6, cable modem supports IPV6, and the BR500 routers supports IPV6 -- therefore, if I enable IPV6, does my IPV4 stack remain unchanged, an I have an IPV6 stack stack running in parallel?

Or do I lose any functionality of my IPV4 stack?

My end goal -- since all of my computers (Macs) support IPV6 stacks -- yes, in parallel to IPV4 -- is that I can be at my (IPV6 enabled and configured) computer on my LAN (LAN <-> BR500 <-> SB6141 <-> Spectrum Internet), and use an IPV6 address to connect to an IPV6 service on the public Internet, or use an IPV4 address to connect to an IPV4 service on the public Internet.

So should this be possible?  And will the BR500 router support both stacks, retrive both public IPV4 and IPV6 addresses via DHCP from the cable modem (SB6141), and run both stacks in parallel?

From my thinking, it should, but I want anyone out there to tell me why this might not work?

Oh, and the "first tier" tech support a my cable provider (Spectrum/Time Warner) tells me that IPV6 is supported, but that I have to call another ("second tier") for details on enabling it, especially if I purcahsed my own (albeit suppported) cable modem.  So before I did that, I wanted to veirfy whether the rest of my hardward (BR500) is going to handle that, without losing any IPV4 functionality.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,

Dave.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: BR500 & IPV6 - Dual IPV4 and IPV6 Stacks?

@dfilip,

My question is as follows: My cable provider supports IPV6, cable modem supports IPV6, and the BR500 routers supports IPV6 -- therefore, if I enable IPV6, does my IPV4 stack remain unchanged, an I have an IPV6 stack stack running in parallel?

Or do I lose any functionality of my IPV4 stack?

I inquired you concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support and got a feedback that both IPv4 and IPv6 connection should work on the BR500.  If you enable IPv6, the IPv4 stackshould remain unchanged and you will not lose functionality of the IPv4 stack.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements