Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 connectivity to CenturyLink ISP

Daikan
Initiate

BR500 connectivity to CenturyLink ISP

It appears that the BR500 (5.6.0.1 or previous versions) is not able to connect the internet when using a CenturyLink ISP fiber modem such as calix 716GE-I. The problem is that CenturyLink requires a LAN tag of 201 on the WAN port. The BR500 does not provide the option of changing the the LAN tag. It seems to be hard coded to the value of 2. A competitor's router provides this functionality. Using the competitor's router I can connect to the ISP and connecting the BR500 WAN port to a LAN port on the competitor's router internet connectivity can be achieve. The internet speed is affected because of limited bandwidth through the competitor's router. I don't think a VPN connection can be established in this configuration. Has others had this issue? Thoughts?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Daikan,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Unfortunately, BR500 doesn't support VLAN tagging on the WAN Port. You may also suggest this in our Ideas Exchange for Business board so that the engineering team would consider it and include it in our next firmware release. But we cannot guarantee it 🙂

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

IPTV bridging found in the local interface of the BR500 will allow you to tag a VLAN on the WAN port provided by your internet provider. Page 91 of the user manual will walk you through on how to set up the VLAN bridging in the local interface. Let me know if this helps.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BR500/BR500_UM_EN.pdf

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi MrJoshW,

Honest mistake 🙂 I overlooked that on the manual.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Daikan
Initiate

Yes, that what the manual says. However, it does not work. Furthermore, also on page 92 it says you can have LAN VLANs or IPTV bridge with a WAN tag, but not both. To me that is a non-starter. TP-Link, a competitor device, has WAN tagging and the ability to have LAN VLAN tagging. As a commerical wire router it seems these are desirable features.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements