Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BR500 port forwarding for specific ip

Kennymcchau
Tutor

BR500 port forwarding for specific ip

Hi Experts,

We have a BR500 router and a linux server at the back end.

The vendor support need to access this linux server with port 22. But this server is also a web server that will allow port 80 and port 443 for internet access.

I have tried to open the port forwarding of port 22 for them but there are a lot of DoS attack port scan afterwards.

Is it possible to allow specific IP address to access this server thru port 22 and drop all other port scan? 

Thanks.

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

In my understanding, you can setup port forwarding and firewall rules eg. for 22/TCP in the local GUI of the BR500 interface. However, Insight does not support the ability to setup the rules in Insight yet.

Message 2 of 9
Kennymcchau
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

In my understanding, you can setup port forwarding and firewall rules eg. for 22/TCP in the local GUI of the BR500 interface. However, Insight does not support the ability to setup the rules in Insight yet.

Thanks Schumaku,

I know I can setup the port forwarding for port 22 to the linux server, but after I set this rule, the router log will show a lot of DoS Scan attack to this server from other IP. So I hope I can only allow a particular IP to access this server and deny all other access for port 22 .

Is it possible?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

As mentioned, Insight might not support this, however you can use the local device UI to configure firewall rules. 

Message 4 of 9
Kennymcchau
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

As mentioned, Insight might not support this, however you can use the local device UI to configure firewall rules. 

Thanks Schumaku,

May I know how to access the local device UI?  Somthing like telnet or Putty?

Model: BR500|Insight Instant VPN Router
Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Using a Web browser of course.

Message 6 of 9
Kennymcchau
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

Thanks, but I have setup the port forwarding of port 22 and will open for all connections. Seems there is no solution for this model.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Kennymcchau wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Thanks, but I have setup the port forwarding of port 22 and will open for all connections. Seems there is no solution for this model.

Of course there is ... each BR500 (and BR200) can be managed locally to some extent from a Web browser. Consult the fine BR500 documentation please, chapter "Manage custom firewall traffic rules". The same documentation certinly also shows on how to access the router Web user interface ...

An existing port forwarding for 22/TCP does not prohibit anything.

Message 8 of 9
Kennymcchau
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

@Kennymcchau wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Of course there is ... each BR500 (and BR200) can be managed locally to some extent from a Web browser. Consult the fine BR500 documentation please, chapter "Manage custom firewall traffic rules". The same documentation certinly also shows on how to access the router Web user interface ...

An existing port forwarding for 22/TCP does not prohibit anything.

I have tried to use the traffic rules but the port column is dimmed that I cannot type the port range or only port 22.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements